Thread: The E boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The E boats

I sailed in two of these the Eden my favourite and the Essequibo I loved them so easy on deck great run I can understand now how the older seaman found it easy to stay with them for years the food overall was not to bad and only two in a cabin plenty of overtime painting chipping I took it all for granted I did two voyages in the Eden the first one introduced me to the delights of the West coast of South America in those days my head was in a spin I could never make up my mind where I wanted to be if I was in Kiwi I was thinking of South America once I got back to South America I wanted to get back to the Far East it was all so easy to achieve back then I,m so glad I steamed in and grabbed it with both hands I for sure have very few regrets regarding my years at sea no it did me well regards to all hands Dave .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The E boats

WCSA oh! the memories that evokes! brings a tear to the eye (no not that one, guess I was lucky!) never saw any Royal Mail ships on the west coast, as the east coast was their normal stomping ground

3. Thanks kurutai thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Ivan the east coast and the Caribbean was indeed there run but we where on a PSNC charter oh the delights of a long ago time regards Dave

5. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did only one trip on the Essequibo to the West Indies as 3rd Engineer. My working life was made miserable by a newly appointed Chief Engineer so I asked to be taken off at the end of the voyage and transferred to another ship, and I was. Accommodation was good, food was good, ports of call were good, but that bloody Chief!!

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noell, pity your name wasn't Ned, he may have been a little more respectful. We've all sailed with assholes but weathered the storm and look back on our time at sea with mostly fondness and I'm sure you do also

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Noell, pity your name wasn't Ned, he may have been a little more respectful. We've all sailed with assholes but weathered the storm and look back on our time at sea with mostly fondness and I'm sure you do also
    One L in my name Ivan please.
    Unreservedly I tell everyone that my years at sea were undoubtedly the happiest days of my life despite my time on the Essequibo.
    My asking for a transfer after one voyage with this particular Chief was understood by the hierarchy because of his reputation, and it worked out really well for me. I was sent to Belfast to join my next ship, the brand new RMS Loch Loyal, as 3rd Engineer for her final outfitting, trials, maiden and second voyages, only left her to get married. Funnily enough, I still keep in touch with the Junior Engineer who was on my watch on the Essequibo and a lad who sailed as 2nd Engineer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Kelly View Post
    One L in my name Ivan please.
    Okay sorry about that or as John Wayne would say 'sorry partner that's one L of a name'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kurutai View Post
    Yes Ivan the east coast and the Caribbean was indeed there run but we where on a PSNC charter oh the delights of a long ago time regards Dave
    Was on PSNC Pazarro. Nice little ship with a good crew.
    Cant complain about the ports of call either!

12. Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kurutai View Post
    I sailed in two of these the Eden my favourite and the Essequibo I loved them so easy on deck great run I can understand now how the older seaman found it easy to stay with them for years the food overall was not to bad and only two in a cabin plenty of overtime painting chipping I took it all for granted I did two voyages in the Eden the first one introduced me to the delights of the West coast of South America in those days my head was in a spin I could never make up my mind where I wanted to be if I was in Kiwi I was thinking of South America once I got back to South America I wanted to get back to the Far East it was all so easy to achieve back then I,m so glad I steamed in and grabbed it with both hands I for sure have very few regrets regarding my years at sea no it did me well regards to all hands Dave .
    I was a cadet on the squib from 1958 to 1959 and was second mate on Eden in the 1960's for a couple of years. Maybe we sailed together
    John Neary

14. Thanks kurutai thanked for this post