Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: RMS Aragon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RMS Aragon

Maybe the bloke on the wheel was also a pilot under training. However I have been through the canal as an apprentice 2nd. mate and mate and as standing in for the master who was hors de combat, the last time through being about 1970, and as a mate never had to stand by forward or aft in over a dozen transits. Going up the locks in the Welland canal was just the opposite as literally slept on the forecastle until the transit was complete. The Panama canal was in those days under US control and the zone was considered American territory. Was one of the few if not the only place in the world where the master had the second word on the bridge. Maybe they thought the various ships I was on weren't capable of handling the eye of a wire, although at least one of the ships was British registered. First time through was 1953 and last was about 1970. Cheers JS

2. Likes N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan. If my memory serves me I think it was 57 days taking in your info,very interesting the two different voyages with all this gen I am now believed. Thanks once again Dave

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Evan ,Yeah I have known John Levins ,some of his Family and his Wife,giving that we had here at his home town of Clogherhead a restaurant smackbang beside a large pub called the BIG TREE.[that pub would be well known to people fron the north as it was hugh holiday seaside village back then]where I worked part time was owned by the Pentony brothers.As for his brother I have no knowledge.It is my understanding the when big John left the sea the bosuns berth was held by another Cloghterhead man, Frank Matthews.[Help me on that one] .Frank I also knew well since we worked together in a hugh local hardware store in Drogheda to which I again meet in London's KG5 dock 1956 I think, Frank was on board a STAR boat to which his Farter was the bosun so there byou are Evan hope this helps ,was a pleasure to make a reply Eamonn McCarthy

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn McCarthy View Post
    Hi Evan ,Yeah I have known John Levins ,some of his Family and his Wife,giving that we had here at his home town of Clogherhead a restaurant smackbang beside a large pub called the BIG TREE.[that pub would be well known to people fron the north as it was hugh holiday seaside village back then]where I worked part time was owned by the Pentony brothers.As for his brother I have no knowledge.It is my understanding the when big John left the sea the bosuns berth was held by another Cloghterhead man, Frank Matthews.[Help me on that one] .Frank I also knew well since we worked together in a hugh local hardware store in Drogheda to which I again meet in London's KG5 dock 1956 I think, Frank was on board a STAR boat to which his Farter was the bosun so there byou are Evan hope this helps ,was a pleasure to make a reply Eamonn McCarthy
    In all my years sailing out of Prescot St and KGV 1963 t0 1974 , Never met anyone from my old town, Drogheda . Now Christchurch NZ

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4