Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Merchant Navy Reconition it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Reconition it

being too young to remember , but having sailed with many WWII veterans , I believe a lot more MN seafarers would have perished without our brothers of the Royal Navy being there too , my annoyance is with the way remembrance is handled in the UK , by the major players , the Bevan boys in the mines ,Quakers who served as strearcher bearers , the land Army girls in the fields and The Merchant Navy all played a part in the victory , but in peace , we are not included
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ben
    A few posts on here that are not called for and I would ask that you please refrain from inciting Anger on the site!
    This is a Warning,as I have received Complaints !
    Be careful as to your replies and Posts please!
    Final WARNING!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th July 2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Bill Cameron, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Isaac, N/A, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think when people quote numbers as to casuality figures as a comparison they should say that usually they are quoted as a percentage of the total force. in which case for example a loss of 30,000 merchant seamen out of a total force of 100,000 would be 30 per cent casualty’s. Whereas a casuality figure of 50,000 out of a force of 200,000 would be 25 per cent casuality figures. Quoting percentages gives a wrong impression as by that method the losses suffered by some of the armed forces exceeds much more than others. Body numbers gives a much clearer picture of a very sad loss for all. I served for 4 years with a naval party and always found the RN contingent were very well trained and a pleasure to sail with. This included allied navy personnel and also special forces, who I certainly wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of. It is a sad day when our armed forces are in decline due to their numbers. They are all volunteers today , and when come out of service, at least here in Australia they are much sought after in certain trades and industries for their well trained knowledge , reliability and knowledge of the right amount of discipline , timekeeping and general demeanour. Well trained personnel like them are hard to find today in lots of work areas. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th July 2018 at 03:18 AM.

6. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was surprised at the chipping and painting comment from Benji , I thought all that was done in te dockyard on refit rather than at sea , where I thought drill and practice took priority
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I was surprised at the chipping and painting comment from Benji , I thought all that was done in te dockyard on refit rather than at sea , where I thought drill and practice took priority
    I don't think that Benny Boy has been to sea, if he had he would not make such offensive and disrespectful comments.

10. Thanks robpage, Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, Bill Cameron, dave moore liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3