Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Merchant Navy Reconition it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Reconitionit

I deserve a medal for saving my Sailors lives in Whitley Bay night after night from being burned to death by the mad guest house keeper.
    It was only playing RULE BRITANNIA in my head that kept me going.

2. Likes Keith Tindell, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes you feel like an old coat , keep in the cupboard till war starts , I know three ex RN , 2 stewards , 1 jack dusty , 22 years in HM Dockyard Portsmouth , HMS Mercury is now The Sustainability Centre , and South Down natural Cemetery , I've a 999 year lease on 4 square metres of that
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So if you served on board a merchant ship in the Persian Gulf during the Iraq/Iranian war, does that allow you to join the RBL. The Gulf was a designated war zone and vessels trading there had to carry war risk insurance. I did 7 days up there going in on Xmas day and coming out on New years Day after going to Al Jubail to load caustic soda for Kwinana. Got double salary for every day spent in the designated war zone.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I went to join the RBL in Ventnor here on the Island, approx 20 years ago, and was asked as a MN seaman, did i serve in a war zone. I discussed with him the definition of a war zone, and didn't get very far with it, and left in disgust. We all worked in dangerous zones from time to time, in my case for eg Cuba?, was that a war zone ?, even places like N africa, i was running every few weeks into Oran, no going ashore, and bombs going off all the time, this was in the early 60s.? However it seems from the talk i had with the manager, if i had been in the RN, and served all my time at HMS Mercury, for those that don't know i, is a shore signal station on the beautiful downs in Hampshire. Then i would have qualified !!!, kt
    It is a small world Keith I did manage to join the Ventnor British Legion about 20 years ago. I had served on British/ Hong Kong/ Gibraltar flagged ships during the Vietnam war the Gulf war (Iran-Iraq) alas they were the wrong wars and being mercenary by nature I had done that purely for money and not Queen and Country. So after a lengthy interrogation having served on an R.F.A. tanker there was a rather tenuous connection to H.M. forces and that your club is desperate for members as well as my liking to a cheap beer I squeezed in that way. Your observation about H.M.S. Mercury is totally correct I had a debate with a an ex R.N. guy in Shanklin B.L. who had served a paltry 2 years before being medically discharged who had never been farther afield than the Med. and never been to war but wore a veteran's badge with great pride.

6. Thanks robpage, Keith Tindell, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The British Legion rules changed I think about 10 years ago but it's on their website it will tell you when they changed and now anybody can be a full member it used to be at one time that if you was Merchant Navy and not a veteran that you had to be an associate member but you can be a full member but you cannot claim any benefit from the British Legion so you're fine when you're paying in but not wanted if you are looking for help unless of course you're a veteran and I would say looking at Johns definition above that being up the gulf and getting the double pay means you have been in a war zone . I've been on the cross channel ferries when they used to do £1 for a trip on a booze cruise I think I've seen more war there an awful lot of people have been in the Royal Navy with 20 years
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ward View Post
    merchant seamen know they were the bravest,and most experienced seamen,memories are proudly etched in our memories,if i wanted to paint grey all day long,and be classed a hero for it I would have joined the phoney navy,Ben
    Ben

I think you need to reconsider this post.
    The merchant seaman were no braver than their royal naval brothers
    The merchant navy seaman may be more experienced on a merchant ship but the reverse also applies.
    As for the paint.... that is just too trivial to be worthy of comment.
    Finally I suggest you visit any pub in Portsmouth and call out "phoney navy"........ good luck with that, I will hold your coat.

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ward View Post
    merchant seamen know they were the bravest,and most experienced seamen,memories are proudly etched in our memories,if i wanted to paint grey all day long,and be classed a hero for it I would have joined the phoney navy,Ben
    I, Benji have served in the Merchant Navy unlike you I suspect. I also served 26 years as a Royal Naval Reservist, I take umbrage at your insinuations.
    Last edited by Bill Cameron; 27th July 2018 at 05:22 PM.

11. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Isaac, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Reconition it

We all know it is,..... Benji.

NOW Benji, HERE ARE THE DETAILS OF your PHONEY NAVY,...………………….
    This is a list of Royal Navy ships and personnel lost during World War II, from 3 September ... The Royal Navy lost 50,758 men killed in action, 820 missing in action and 14,663 wounded in action.
    Many have been killed since WW2, in various war zones. from HMS AMETHYST in the Yangtze, onwards.
    The Women's Royal Naval Service lost 102 killed and 22 wounded.[1]
    In ships sunk by the Germans, French, Italians, and Japanese.

How Phony is that, Benji.????
    hang your head in shame.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th July 2018 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    I, Benji have served in the Merchant Navy unlike you I suspect. I also served 26 years as a Royal Naval Reservist, I take umbrage at your insinuations.
    Spot on Bill.
    Vic

14. Likes Captain Kong, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have many retired Royal Navy friends , my son was a submariner , a nephew who did30 years as a chief tiff etc , my comment was about the RBL and not about sailors of any navy , I have a lot of time for the professionalism of all British Seafarers , regardless of sea time

16. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast