Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Royal Horse Artillery John Smith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Horse Artillery John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Thanks Maureen, where did you find the copy posted? I could only find via help from the "Forces War records" the index card I posted earlier in the thread. Are there any articles, documents or books written about RHA and where they were in India 1905 -1914 that anyone knows of ? where would one look for this ?
    I put your question (RHA and where they were in India 1905 -1914 ) to Google and it came up with lots of snippets and photos, you might find something relevant.

2. Thanks Kathryn Steeman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh Thanks so much Maureen! I am such a newbie that didn't think of that. Will try and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Kathryn

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this Maureen, That's my Grandad alright , age was really 28-29 as he lied about age to get in said he was 17 1/2 really only 15 1/2 !!

4. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Keep at it Kathryn things can turn up quickly,
    or take an age but, they can occur.

Fingers crossed.

Keith.

6. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Keith, hoping to get some details or even photos for Mum. Mum was 13 when her Dad died so doesn't know too much apart from the few snippets I started post with. Hope to put something together and maybe get some replica medals of what he had as Mum does remember seeing them once when she was young but has know idea where they went in the family. What actually did he have ? I am trying to make head and tails out of the index card and all the numbers on it? Are some battalion numbers?

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Back home from a few days away - for a few days.

Hope to help more.

RE: I am trying to make head and tails out of the index card and all the numbers on it? Are some battalion numbers?

As far as I can see they were known as Battery or Batteries, though some one that knows more may correct me ?

Letters rather than numbers ?

Source: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/...rse-artillery/

Keith.

10. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Thanks for that Keith, hoping to get some details or even photos for Mum. Mum was 13 when her Dad died so doesn't know too much apart from the few snippets I started post with. Hope to put something together and maybe get some replica medals of what he had as Mum does remember seeing them once when she was young but has know idea where they went in the family. What actually did he have ? I am trying to make head and tails out of the index card and all the numbers on it? Are some battalion numbers?
    Looking into the medal side, first look came up with: This Royal Horse Artillery Indian Mutiny Medal is named to Bombardier. John Smith. ’F’ Troop. Royal Horse Artillery. https://www.themilitarycampaign.co.u...-mutiny-medal/

Added out of interest, uncertain if actually connected.

Regards Keith.

12. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Likes Maureen Knight liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess they don't have the soldier number on these?

14. Likes Kathryn Steeman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for this Keith. Bombardier what is this? was this what a Gunner in WW1 was called when not in war time?? John Smith joined up 1905, was the mutiny thing before this or after this? My British history is only the basics as don't get taught much at school in NZ. WW1 is covered as Gallipoli etc and ANZAC day is big . Learnt a lot more watching History Channel, even both my parents, one English and one Dutch/Polish learnt a lot more about WW2 than they knew as both were 7-13 and 10-16 respectively during the war. Proud of my father's side of the family as my grandparents hid 3 Jewish people with them for duration of the war even though they were not well off themselves.
    Last edited by Kathryn Steeman; 4th May 2018 at 09:19 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Added as in #26 out of interest, uncertain if actually connected.

Seems the Indian Rebellion was of 1857, a major, but ultimately unsuccessful, uprising in India between 1857–58 against the rule of the British East India Company, which functioned as a sovereign power on behalf of the British Crown.

Bombardier (Bdr) and lance-bombardier (LBdr or L/Bdr) are used by the British Army in the Royal Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_(rank)

Hoping to find more that will further relevant.

Keith.

17. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Royal Horse Artillery John Smith

I have found out from someone on the Great War Forum that John Smith when returned from India was shipped 5th November 1914, with the 5th Brigade RHA, 8th Division, from Southampton to France on the SS Minneapolis. When they shipped groups of soldiers over was there a ship list of individual persons or just stated the Brigade number? if there is a list where would I find it?? Also how would I find out what ships transported RHA personnel from India to England before 5 November 1914?? Was given a link to National archives which has the downloadable War Diary of the 5th Brigade RHA, 8th Division (it was so big it has to be downloaded in two sections!) Lots to absorb! Hope someone can help with my shipping enquiry?

Many thanks for all and any help

Cheers

Kathryn from NZ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast