Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi needs some help please!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kiwi needs some help please!

I see from the little box Keith that you are in Wales, Charles John Maloney's mother was welsh or welsh decent waiting for the birth and marriage certificates for Emily Maloney nee James to confirm which. I am 1st Gen NZ and have Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch & Polish decent, a right mongrel but proud of it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Everyone

Please find attached the birth certificate copy of Charles John Maloney. (hopefully if I have done it correctly?)

Cheers

KathrynCOL695776_2018-5-Charles_John_Maloney.pdf

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Thanks for that Keith, I have got all that info from my " Find my past " UK website and the free BMD index. I found the document mentioned in my original post when searching why he wasn't talked about by the older generation my grandmother's lot. Checked prison records but couldn't find anything? may not have done it correctly but found when looking for service records the CR2 mentioned. My geography of the UK is a bit up and down so not sure were Sunderland is, mind you to all the lot in East end London Stepney anything north of London was "Up North". Charles John was back in London as have the 1939 register print out and he was living with Annie Smith but not yet married. As they say the "The plot thickens" would like to get to the bottom of what it was all about? And would like to see if he was also in Merchant Navy during the war. Apparently others in the family tree were but not sure whom yet. Anything I can get about the document I found would be great as not sure where to search on this site and what info to put where?? Many thanks Kathryn from NZ

Will rethink all, over night here and look at more in the morning.

K.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Steeman View Post
    Hi Everyone

Please find attached the birth certificate copy of Charles John Maloney. (hopefully if I have done it correctly?)

Cheers

KathrynCOL695776_2018-5-Charles_John_Maloney.pdf

Got that thanks, bit to go on in the morning.

It is very much detective work for us, fingers crossed Keith.

4. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi again here is the download of the CR2 for Charles John Maloney (Hoping it is attached??)

Cheers

Kathryn
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kathryn.
    Sunderland is on the North East coast of England, was a big shipbuilding area at one time. Stick with it as there are some good researchers here.
    Cheers Des

8. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as the CR2 i have at hand Kathryn
    And just a help with his Birth Cert
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have to remember the leaving age for school was 14! even for my mother whom was 14 in 1946 and father had died 1945. Gran had 11 kids 10, surviving from 1918 to 1942! So when you got to leaving age you were on yer bike and earning your keep! How young could you enter the Merchant Navy? I wonder if Charles John ran away to Sea?? Mysterious Mysterious!

Cheers

Kathryn

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Des, googled it but wasn't sure which direction it was from London.

Cheers

Kathryn

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In those times it was common to leave home at an early age,and many youngsters either got permission from their parents or as said ran away to join the Merchant Navy. I wasn't too far off at 15 to start work,and help Mum as Dad had left us high and dry ,skipped off to the UK.
    So yes no Mystery I feel just one of those things that happened in earlier Years gone by!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes so many do not realise that times were different back then and even in UK my mum's youngest sister born in 1937 was first to have to stay at school until 16 so that was 1953. I don't know about employing today's 14 or 15 year old for some of the jobs they were expected to do pre WW2. Hmm!

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1953 it was I think in the statutes for British foreign going merchant ships the minimum age was 16. During the war however and shortly after the age was 15. I knew several who went to sea at 15. The articles of agreement in 1953 would have thought they were the same as in 1945 and had a list in them of what they called young persons which was a list of under 18 year olds.. I could never see the reason for this apart from an excuse for the chief steward not giving you a tot of rum on a Saturday night. A previous post I spoke of a person from Shields who used to be my relief a Bob Storey. His father was master at sea and Bob ran away at 15 unbeknown to his father , the final outcome was they both appeared unknown to each other in the same Halifax convoy on different ships, both of which were torpedoed about 6 days out , the 15 year old being pulled out of the water by the other ships lifeboat, unfortuanetley the person pulling him out turned out to be his father who proceeded to clip him along the ear for being there in the first place.. Had me in stitches the way he told the story. Another one I knew was prisoner on the Altmark at 15 but was rescued by I think the Cossack together with the many other POWs. Something also which should be borne in mind anyone trying to trace a relatives wandering via a discharge book and he was a shipmaster.
    The master was the only one on board who did not require a discharge in his book and most didn’t bother. I only kept a discharge going for myself when they brought out the law that you had to have 2 years seatime out of every 5 years to revalidate your certificate and was easier to prove via the book. Otherwise it was totally unnecessary. Your sister if left school in 1953 at 16 would only have stayed on to sit her O levels. Otherwise would have left at 15 unless went to a grammar school. I made a small error in a statement about discharges, a deck apprentice also did not get a discharge, a cadet did , but the two were different entities at one time. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th April 2018 at 04:32 AM.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon, Kathryn Steeman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast