Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Person Ronald Larry Lane

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missing Person Ronald Larry Lane

I feel like a bit of imposter as I never served onboard any vessel but I was (about 12-15 years ago) a director of a couple of shipping companies (ALSOC & NWSSSC) running LNG ships between Japan & Australia. I have been on board LNG vessels & been responsible for the commercial aspects of building them. So I may have some slight amount of credibility in this forum.

However, my interest in your site is related to trying to help my (82 year old) cousin who wishes to understand what happened to her father who deserted her mother in the year that she was born.

She was born in late 1935 to my Aunt. Not long after marrying my Aunt her father (Ronald Larry Lane) skipped town (Port Pirie, South Australia) as a fireman on the SS Anglo Saxon bound for China & Canada. The last contact that her mother had from him was from Vancouver. Her mother would not talk about the events surrounding this sorry saga but my cousin has been trying to find any trace of him since about 2001. I only became aware of this a couple of weeks ago & have been trying to help trace his movements with little success.

The traces are thin. I cannot find a link the the Anglo Saxon having been in Pt.Pirie in 1935 but it is possible that he joined that vessel in another port. He was supposed to be headed for China & Canada. The last correspondence that my Aunt received from him was from Calgary.

A fireman called R. Lane was onboard the vessel SS Dundrum Castle leaving London 14/3/1936 & arriving in New York on 3/4/1936. I do not know if this is the same person but his age (32) relates well to the supposed birth date 1903/04 based on the marriage certificate. He signed the certificate R. Lane so it is possible that his name was other than Ronald.

Both of the above named vessels were sunk during the war. I have seen a crew list for the Anglo Saxon & there is no one of that name listed. I have not been able to find a crew list for the Dundrum Castle. It is possible that he jumped ship in New York. We cannot find any birth or death notices for him & accept that he may have changed his name (several times?).

I don't believe that it is possible that there is anyone out there who would remember Ronald Lane but if anyone has information that could solve the mystery surrounding the following, my cousin would be forever grateful.

1) How he got to Australia? (He was supposedly born in England or Wales but there is no concrete birth record). We can find no crew or passenger list with his name on it prior to 1935.
    2) His movements post 1935?
    Is there any evidence of him being in China & Canada? Is his name on the crew list of the Dundrum Castle the year that it sank in the Middle East? Did he die on that vessel?
    3) Is there a list kept of sailors who desert ship & is he on that list?

I hope that there is some extra information out there as I have hit a brick wall using all the other sources available to me.

kind regards to all who read this post.

Greg Veitch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing Person Ronald Larry Lane

Greg we all have skeletons. In the cupboard so don’t worry about that. There are those on site who may take on the task of assisting you. Anyhow best of luck in your enquiries. Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2018 at 01:47 AM.

3. Thanks Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1.. I assume you were involved with the port of Dampier with your association with the LNG. To show how small a world it is today, when working myself out of this port I had occasion to visit the local hospital. Much to my surprise the nurse asked me if i was related to a family living there with the same name. I had previously been informed there was also a family living in the Bunbury areas. Found out the starter of this branch of the Australian brood had been one who jumped ship here in 1926 and married an Australian girl. So apart from a cousin living and working in Launceston we had other possible relatives living here long before our time . Still have no idea where they fit in. Sometimes best to let sleeping dogs lie. The days of the remittance man is long gone, but every stone you overturn sometimes you find unsavoury things ... Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2018 at 02:18 AM.

5. Thanks Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could this be him?? Hard to tell I know but I will look into it and see if I can tally anything up!
    Time is the thing here so just be patient and see at transpires/
    Cheers

1130878 LANE R 03/09/1905 PENARTH
    Wales

Only one that is close by a couple of Years that did at Sea is the following but second name is not correct,so can presume he did not die at Sea? That wittles it down a wee bit!
    First name(s)Robt Allen Last nameLane Year1907 Place CountryGreat Britain Archive referenceBT 334 SourceDeaths At Sea 1891 – 1972

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th April 2018 at 04:39 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Thanks Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The official Number for the Dundrum Castle was

The National Archives has Crew List and official Logs for this Ship and others,i hope this is the correct Link for same@
    Thinking that if you can get the Crew list for that period and see if your Man was on her??
    Cheers

Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Agreements and Crew Lists, Series II

Official Nos: 144268, 144280, 144290, 144291, 144292, 144297, 144300, 144303, 144304,... | The National Archives
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th April 2018 at 04:52 AM.

R697530

9. Thanks Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Surname
    First name(s)
    Spouse
    District
    Vol
    Page

Marriages Jun 1932

Lane
    Ronald W
    Stansby
    Islington

Marriages Sep 1932

Lane
    Ronald F
    Medhurst
    Reigate

Marriages Dec 1933

Lane
    Ronald A
    Richards
    Droxford

Marriages Dec 1934

Lane
    Ronald J
    Consitt
    Dorchester

Marriages Jun 1935

Lane
    Ronald G
    Ballinger
    Taunton

Marriages Sep 1935

Lane
    Ronald E
    Devereux
    Shardlow

Marriages Sep 1936

Lane
    Ronald A W
    Higgins
    Wycombe

Lane
    Ronald F
    Day
    Camberwell

Marriages Jun 1937

Lane
    Ronald W
    Ogier
    Thanet

Marriages Sep 1937

Lane
    Ronald D
    Prior
    Berkhampstead

Marriages Dec 1937 (>99%)

Lane
    Ronald R
    Geirnaert
    Exeter

Not knowing wedding place or brides maiden name, could you please advise if any of the above are likely.

Regards Keith.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks J. Sabourne, I appreciate you taking the time. Yes the (8) LNG ships with which I was involved sailed from Dampier to various ports in Japan. In the late 1980's I was involved with commercial activities relating to the investment decisions for these vessels. In the early 2000's another 3 ships were built in China for the NWS project & I was actively involved at director level in the oversight of China shipbuilder.

As you say sometimes it is better not to lift the rocks & look under them because you never know what you will find. However, for my cousin this is an issue that has haunted her for all of her life. If I can help her find some peace of mind then I will. Your chance encounter in the local hospital was amazing. The chance encounter has now been made much easier through linking on the internet. DNA tracing has uncovered some interesting facts about my own family.

Appreciate your efforts.
    Thanks,

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Vernon,
    I will keep this one in mind as I work through the evidence.
    appreciate your help,
    regards,
    Greg

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Vernon,
    I looked at the site but the records are not available on-line.
    As I live in South Australia it is impossible for me to go to the National Archives, so will have to see if other sources are available.
    appreciate your efforts.
    regards,
    Greg

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greg can you pass me your email address by private message and I will pass you on to someone who may be able to assist.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, Greg Veitch thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Keith,
    thanks for your information. The couple (Ronald Larry Lane & Joyce Evelyn Veitch) were actually married in Port Pirie, South Australia on 13 Feb 1935. It is quite possible that he married other women so I shall keep this information just in case it ties together with other links.
    Appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
    regards,
    Greg

17. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greg
    You can request a page check at below price the if you want to go on the cost of the page relating to that Ship?
    • 1. the cost of a page check (£8.40)
    • 2. the cost of making copies of a record, if it is possible to do so
    • Cheers Will leave it with you

Page Check Request

R697530

19. Thanks Greg Veitch thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast