Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed - My Grandfather

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help Needed - My Grandfather

Hi Marian,

Joseph was only married once to Margaret Moloughney. I will ask my dad where else he worked as i know he worked at a factory also, i had the name some time ago and can't remember it now.

I have made contact with S Morris on ancestry so will see what that brings up and i have ordered birth certificates for his siblings too.

As for Cassell, yep he is elusive, he had even more variations of his name, totally crazy, Krecil, Ben E Cassell, Benoni, Kassel, so many and also with his surname, he has been difficult to track, but i managed to get a fair bit of information just by thinking outside the box. He definitely moved to the US and i have him travelling back and forth in between the birth of the children in the UK, he also married again in the US and had further children. I have managed to get in touch with the extended Banov family in the US but they are also none the wiser for the UK side of the family.

Thanks Marian.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Maria,

For Ruth i have this information

Ruth Salfer was born in 1896 in Austria. She died in 1990 at the age of 94. Her husband is registered as Benio Cassell :-) I am not 100% certain of the connection as i tried to just concentrate on Cassell as he was the reason i started the tree, i was intrigued why no one knew him, or why he couldn't be found and made it my mission to try and find him.

After revisiting my files, it is clear i need to take come time to reevaluate all the information i have and make sure i update it all. I plan to do that over the next few weeks, hopefully the certificates will be here this week as since they were born before 1917, except grandad, i can get PDF online, a new pilot scheme by the GRO. Hopefully they will have some information.

One interesting fact is Beatrice Banov certificate, i found that, in the fathers name and occupation it is just a line, no details.

On my grandads marriage certificate, in fathers name he writes Joseph Banor - Deceased, however, we deducted that this was common in the UK where one didn't know their father to use the same name as themselves and say deceased, the certificate should arrive next week and am excited to see what it holds.

The sad thing about all this is my Grandad never knew his parents, his mother Fanny lived and died just a few miles from where i grew up in Prestwich, her gravestone is at Agecroft Cemetery, Sad. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Keith, i am a member and will have a look, i have had some success with LDS in the past and also Jewish Gen.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Doc, have ordered the certificate and his sibling ones too. I was almost sure i had it, but alas it is not to be found.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow! we have had some dingers on this sort of Family search thing,this one rates almost on top of the list now with such elusive People!
    Best of Luck in all you can find ,and with the help of others Louisa.
    I will also still of course try!
    Cheers

Marriages Jun 1945
    Moloughney Margaret M. Banor Manchester 8d 875

Married Joseph Banor b24/09/1919 d1982

Getting a wee bit confused here sorry can you tell me the name of this Person we are looking for as well
    Cassell Emile is that his real name or is Cassell his Surname?? Sorry as said I am a wee bit LOL Do we know where he was Born at all? and possible dates!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2018 at 04:04 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Wow! we have had some dingers on this sort of Family search thing,this one rates almost on top of the list now with such elusive People!
    Best of Luck in all you can find ,and with the help of others Louisa.
    I will also still of course try!
    Cheers

Marriages Jun 1945
    Moloughney Margaret M. Banor Manchester 8d 875

Married Joseph Banor b24/09/1919 d1982

Getting a wee bit confused here sorry can you tell me the name of this Person we are looking for as well
    Cassell Emile is that his real name or is Cassell his Surname?? Sorry as said I am a wee bit : confused: LOL Do we know where he was Born at all? and possible dates!
    Hi Doc,

We are looking for my Grandfather Joseph Banor/Banov. b1919 Prestwich Manchester, the marriage refernece is my grandad and grandmas.

Cassell Emile Banov is his father who is an elusive devil. And this family history is extremely checkered with some very dodgy characters ha ha.

I am just looking for confirmation if he actually ever did serve in Navy or if it was a tall tale lol.

Thanks.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so my dad didn't answer my calls or WhatsApp so I reverted to my mum (they are separated) she said she is fairly certain my Grandads middle name was Peter, same as my dads, as far as she knows he was a sailor during WW2, there was definitely a photograph of him and he also worked at the following places:

Clayton Aniline in Manchester and also the Abortoire in Ardwick, Manchester.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So my post #12 gives your Grandfathers Birth Details correct!
    Above is just info you may already have !

I will see what I can if anything find on the actual quest at hand ,that is confirming if Joseph Banov had any connection with the Navy,Merchant or otherwise!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Above is just info you may already have !

I will see what I can if anything find on the actual quest at hand ,that is confirming if Joseph Banov had any connection with the Navy,Merchant or otherwise!

Yes that's my Grandad Joseph Banov, my Great Grand Dad is Cassell and that's his marriage to Fanny Goldberg (married at the synagogue in Cheetham Manchester).

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found a Joseph Bannon, said he was Merchant Navy - British, an assistant steward on Andalucia Star, Passenger Steam Ship that was attacked in October 1942, but it did not register any birth year or any other information.

15. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gra Guest

Just to remind you Doc, that's indeed is his marriage, Cassell Emile Banov was born in 1883 in Russia
    Last edited by Marian Gra; 22nd January 2018 at 11:04 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hello Louisa
    Thank you for posting the question and I hope someone may be able to assist!
    I have also looked at the NA Records and find no trace of that name or DOB.
    there is a Lady Member (Marian) who does a lot of research so I am sure with time she will respond! She may be able to come up with something!
    Cheers

I also looked in FMP still no trace!??

I don't belong to the following site but see possibly his name etc here you may want to persue it?
    Cheers

https://www.myheritage.com/names/joseph_banor

First real look comes up with:

C Bonavia
    United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records

Pos worth looking into ? Could this be Cassell Emile Banov ?

Keith.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast