Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: help please

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missiles

Hi, Thank you for that information.Russia and China were not the best of mates in the '50s,no way of proving it,but I dont think Stalin would be to worried about Korea,he had enough on his plate in the west.

Cheers,

Len.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: help please

Little bit Re, the almost forgotten Korean war .Amongst the Australian Services participants. Would have been many Merchant Seamen .In 1950 in particular. The Trend then was to , Jump ! in OZ. The attraction being ,no doubt, the sense of adventure ,and the temptation of the Pay, compared to that obtaining on U.K. ships. Of which many of were permanent on the Coast. Usually on a two years agreement. At the Home Pools, those days. A two -year ' s stint on the OZ Coast was quite common. Fly Out & home. Couple of months ago, my next door neighbour's Mother was staying with Her over from N.Z. Whilst her father was attending a Re-union at Korea. I was able to put her in the Picture ,a little as She knew hardly any of the event. It's more commonly referred to now ,as The Forgotten War. Also it may be of interest. that "THE HERO OF GALLIPOLI" was a Fireman -Trimmer ,from S.Shields. Simpson. Though the fact has almost disappeared as He ,hardly gets a mention now on Anzac Day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Evan
    Re. Simpson. He was known as the man with the donkey and (despite some rumours and others) he was accredited with saving a number of lives by using his donkey to transport the wounded from the beach to the medical post inland. He is classed as a her in my home town and there is a statue to him in the main street.
    Threr was a move afoot recently to get him posthumously awarded a medal (VC?) but apparently some persons claimed that the job he was doing was really not too heoic. I know the ANZAC people considered him a hero and were trying to get him a medal.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember a few weeks ago on the radio, someone has made a record of his exploits.
    Someone said the donkey should have got the VC not him. BUT it was him who led the Donkey into No Mans Land under fire to rescue the injured.
    Anyone heard the record???
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking about missiles Rob reminds me of an instance which I hope I am not repeating from a previous post of mine. About 1973 I was on an inert Gas Course at a motel in Southampton. Most on the course were management, however they sent me and had to do a written report for them after the completion of the weeks course. Phoning home one night someone had left a notebook in the kiosk and being nosey I looked through it. It was disturbing to me that someone had written notes about a conversation they had been having on the phone. It discussed the employment of a Bombardier, the hire of a yacht, monies being transferred from a Saudi bank, and the expected ownership of a ground to air missile. I phoned the police and read out the contents to them, then I went to bed. About 0300 hours there was an awful lot of movement banging of doors and shouting outside the room. Someone knocked on door and a huge police officer asked me for the book and told me to go back to bed. The next day those in the class were complaining about some idiot calling the police in, so I kept quite, didn't like being considered an idiot. I did hear some time later via the media that an IRA bomb factory had been unearthed in Southampton, and always wondered if it had anything to do with the notebook I found. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. the same course as stated as most were shore management and assume they thought I was the same, we were all taken to the Restaurant where Ted Heath used to go, as believe he used to sail his yacht Morning Cloud I believe. If it had been a ship to ship missile in the notes, and knowing what I know now, maybe just maybe I would of had second thoughts about calling the police in. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I remember a few weeks ago on the radio, someone has made a record of his exploits.
    Someone said the donkey should have got the VC not him. BUT it was him who led the Donkey into No Mans Land under fire to rescue the injured.
    Anyone heard the record???
    Brian
    I think this may be the one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgCQtaBsvTg
    Don

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rafferty View Post
    I think this may be the one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgCQtaBsvTg
    Says it all about our jobsworths doesn't it, the donkey gets the highest award and the man nothing, clever donkey to go back and forth and load men on its back, seems the donkeys are also in the awards office.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    You are now a target.
    . Hi Don
    Thanks for that clip.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 5th October 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4