Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Port Nicholson 1975

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Port Nicholson 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    I was an AB from Scotland on the Port Nicholson almost all of 1975 was 'working by' then did the run job to Cardiff before a foreign trip to Hobart, via Port Melbourne. We were delayed in Hobart because the apples were not ready for picking. This gave us time for an adventure with local girls and some Hell's Angels, big Football match against a German ship (I think). The Hobart Bridge was down during this trip, a local ship hit one of the legs and a section had collapsed. I was sailing with my mate, Mr Dee EDH from Wigan, who met his future wife ashore on this trip. I still keep in touch with them; they stayed with us last year when they visited from Oz. Others on that trip were Terry EDH, Ross AB from Merthyr Tydfil, SuperTaff AB/EDH from Cardiff, 'Bruce Lee' not his real name a Steward. We hired a van & caravan and toured around England in the summer of 1975, it was hot but not as hot as the following summer.

I made the mistake of rejoining after leave. Same ship, different crew, different atmosphere. I was told by some wise seaman many years before that it was unwise to rejoin a ship that you had so much fun on. Anyway I did the same thing a few years later and both trips were good fun, so I’m not superstitious. Anyone out there from the Port Nicholson in 1975??
    Hi Dex, supertaf here,just joined site boy your description of our voyage spot on but left fancy dress out for football match 👌And yes that uk trip known as The Band on uk tour.
    Got some pics of us at stone henge (stoned) lol no only kidding.how are you mate ? Those names brought back huge memories great time had by all.
    Have you still got your long long hair ? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Be great to get in touch, can't believe you still keep in touch with few lads.
    What gossip you got ? I sailed on canards ACT line after Port Nicholson.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Steve, great to hear from you. Yes we can swap some photos of that holiday in 75. I retired this Easter and my wife and I took a trip to Aussie and Kiwi for 7 weeks to celebrate. We visited Hobart in Tassie. But I went out there in 1978 to meet up with Gil Blinston (Mr Dee) and stayed for 6 months. Stayed with Gil & his wife Gail in Queensland in April 2018 for a break, but we have been seeing them every few years since the 70's. Lots more news to talk about, the Port Nic was my happiest time at sea. I still have a full head of hair but its much shorter now!!
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 3rd November 2018 at 11:54 AM.

3. Thanks Ross Andrews thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Derek I have removed your E Mail Address as experience shows, personal E Mail Address's on open Forums more often than not, receive unwanted attention by undesirable contacts. Should anyone wish to contact you, ( providing you have subscribed in your site settings to Private Messages and E Mail) they may contact you by clicking on your name and using those Private Messages and E Mail site facilities. Thank you.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 3rd November 2018 at 11:56 AM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2