Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Port launceston.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welcome!

Hi Rod
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
    Thank you
    Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/p...?do=newpm&u=18

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I first crossed the LINE on a Port Boat,the Alfred in 69,also recall the Mac going over the edge,the last Bosun I sailed with on a Port line boat was Stu Baxter when on the Port Auckland in 75,was only talking about Stu with another Ab a couple of weeks ago

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tonytobo
    My first trip to sea was on MV Port Lauceston back in 1963..as an engine room boy.. went to Hamburg for dry-docking..3 weeks in Hamburg great time was had by all... and did I learn alot......went on to 3 deep- sea trips to Oz/Nz... great ship great crews... and very good cabins....was on her when Suez war broke out and was the last convoy to come through...the Lauceston sister ship MV Port Invercargill which was follwing us got caught when they closed the cannal... and stayed in one of the lakes for a few years...with all her fresh fruit and dairy products cargo..and later was scraped.....sad.
    Just a point of Interest the Engines rooms on all the Port Line ships that I served on were so clean you could eat your dinner of the plates, as to was the whole ship......great days.
    Keep those woderfull memories Tonytobo.
    Regards
    Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MV Port Lauceston

Hi Rod
    I think we have somthing in common...I too sailed on the Port Lauceston in 1963, and shared a cabin with Angus McDonald from Stornaway Scotland a big lad, also I to remember the old Store keeper a Jordie a nice old chap who had a carring nature to first time trippers...., and his mate Jock the Donkey man there cabins next to each other....i remember a couple days befor the line the storman used to give a tot of dark rum....
    did one or two repairs at sea....a few scavenger fires good old days.... I not sure If we were on the ship at the same time... would like to hear some of your memories.....
    Hope to hear from you.
    Frank Clark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Frank, you must have taken my place, as I was in the Albert dock seamans hostpital, with both feet in plaster, Angus was my cabin mate on my first trip, and I could tell you some stories about him, but not for public reading, he was a great mate, and we had lots of adventures, we shared everything, and I mean everything! As some one has said, the engine room was so clean you could eat your dinner off it, but it did get a bit boring chipping paint, then repainting, the other job I got was washing the generator crank cases out with caustic soda, still got a bald patch on my cheek, where i dont have to shave,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Les I found your story about old McCaskll very interesting I sailed with him for about 2 years and you are right he was a top seamen, he was always ready to help you with seamamship for your E D H test. But you could not mess him around, I see him put down small uprising also he was very strong but liked his bottle to much. hope you get this mate MICK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Mc Caskil for all his faults was a bloody good bosun that one could really have a laugh with. Recall filling up the drum to barbarise the deck and when he poured it in we remarked that it seemed rather strong. No for McCaskil he remarked that you could wash your face in it and did just that. Well after a few days when his skin started to get back to normal he still would not admit that it was to strong. But as I say a bloody good seaman and would not take any rubbish of anyone. I to heard that story that he went over the side looking for his brother.
    Hi mate did you get my bit about Mc Caskil iam very interested to hear about him i was with for 3 years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not much else I can say about him Mick as I only ever was with him for one trip. Do recall that when waking him in the morning that it would be done with care plus he seemed to have a problem with skid marks or it could have been just on that trip. As you say a great bloke to show a budding seaman the ropes.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1977

Hi
    Ive recently found out that the Simon Lewis I was looking for was possibly on the Port Launceston in 1977.
    Does anyone know of someone by that name on that ship that travelled to New Zealand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1st trip on the launceston

Twas a cold november morn that I dragged my young apprehensive **** down the birkenhead docks to where the MV Port Launceston lay tied up still being loaded with her cargo bound for Capetown, Arr! that she be...
    Ok enough said yeah I did three trips on her as an engine room rating and met characters like Tiny a cockney chief cook Jeeze was I seasick that trip.I remember the dodgy lash up of a swimming pool down aft made of planks and a tarpauline.
    and Taffy (Davy Jones ) a donkeyman sadley passed away a coupla trips later on the way to OZ buried at sea.
    the plywood varnished cabins and the funky crew bar and swing from the pipes on the deckhead that ran through the bar. and no AC power that sucked too.yup great days mate..I was on her when we sold it to the greeks leaving it in a dry dock in scaramanga( spelling?) an flying home
    .Nice one take care.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast