Thread: Port new Plymouth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port new Plymouth

Hello members,
    Is there anyone out there who sailed on the Port New Plymouth arriving Auckland new Zealand approx. the end of July 1965 I am trying to find a couple of friends I used to know back then. 1 was the Chef Vince Sweet and the other was a deck hand called Ross whose last name escapes this old fella. Any information would be gratefully received. If not would anyone know where I might obtain the crew list for the above.
    I thank you all for your time and patients in trying to help an old man with his past.
    best regards to all
    Jim Abrahams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Port new Plymouth

Hi Jim,
    If my memory serves me right I was on Port New Plymouth around that time. Lets see the chief steward was from Liverpool and had his wife with him that trip. The chef was a big dark men,
    a young apprentice was call Ian Smith I think. I remember we were in Auckland for a while that trip. I was working in the dinning room. I remember everyone saying The New Plymouth was the
    Pride of Port Line Fleet then. We were always having ships inspection. From a new member ( Ian Fettin ) from Australia

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good on you Ayhan. Took a while for Jim to get a response and hope he picks it up. Maybe if not you could send him a PM - Private Message that will be emailed to him from this site.
    From an old Port Line Saloon Boy/ Asst Stwd. 'Lowlander' 1947, 'Port St John' 1949/1950, Port Dunedin 1950.
    Cheers, Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

5. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim, I was on the PNP about that time. I was down below and engine room boy, then on my third trip after one each in the Launceston and Alfred the year before. I done 3 trips in the PNP and was glad to get off her and get on her sister the Nicholson. On my last trip in the PNP we were stopping one engine every day to change injectors. It always happened about 1 pm and had it down to a fine art by the time we got home. I had a good head of wavey red hair back then and my name is Pete. The Donkeyman was Eric and Charlie was fridge greaser, I am in touch here in NZ with one Malcolm Bourgaise from Guernsey I think, he was deck boy back then. The 3 main greasers were Des Smith, Dave White and Mick Duece and a donkey greaser was Pete Hammerslag. I have some photos from those trips if you would like to see them.
    Cheers Pete Gardner

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post