Thread: port line

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile port line

I only sailed on one Port boat, the Napier from oct. 67 to mar.68. A complete "madhouse " as i remember it.lol. Cheers, Colin. K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are Colin Knight, ex AB, I was 1st trip deck boy on the Napier with you. You're right, it was a madhouse, but what an eyeopener for a 1st tripper. I did the following trip on the Napier as well and would be still at sea today if things hadnt changed. I remember you, tommy Lafferty, an OS called Balls, a lad from Luton who was s**t hot on the guitar, the other deck boy was Kenny summat or other from Canada, the bosun was a mad little Irishman, Tuesday (need I say more) Great days and great mates. Cheers from sunny Rotherham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Port Adelaide 68/69 had a great football team won the Auckland shield twice.She was one of if not the smallest port boat in the fleet. For such a small vessel it was single accomadation except for the
    boy rattings. Word was she was jinxed and strange things happened on board.After she left the builders the
    main mast collapsed and had to be replaced with twin samson posts.A very happy 2 trips .The bosun was a
    fearsome looking bloke from Stornaway .That was until he had all his teeth out and he looked like a pussycat.
    The lampy was also odd very tall walked slow and a very straight back,no matter what the weather wore the same attire (washed of course).He made his special goulash which had to go on the redlead before the
    undercoat .The paint locker was like a worlocks cave i often thought if i went in there i would never get out.
    There was also an EDH big Don later to be bosun on the Caroline .Why did it all go so wrong??.Happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default PortPirie

I sailedon Port Pirie 9/12/67 to 21 April68, Wonderfulcrew great Bosun, we buit th Bar on it, did Australia loaded Apples in Hobart, got wharfies money too for loading down the Hatches, I think Primrose the Steward was on there too, , The deck department was great, she was an old Two berth but we had a terrific time, oaded meat in NZ back to KG5, , those wee the most fabulous days at sea without a Doubt, and Port line were at the Forefront of good conditions on their newer ships . Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good memories.

I sailed with Port Line back in the 60s, I was in the catering dept, and had the time of my life, from April 64, I sailed on the Port Pirie, Port Auckland, Port Nicholson, Port New Plymouth. Port Invercargill, Port Maqurie, Port Victor, Port Wellington. and a couple of other shipping companys. I now look forward to cruising ( just to keep my feet wet ). Take care all of you........Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry signed on the Macquarie 20/1/66 The Invercargill 1/6/65 and the Victor 21/8/65 just thought I would mention this is the dates line up with your time on them of course the Invercargill was a run job so would say that would be a no show job.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Line

Hi Les. I was on the Port Maquarie from 16/8/65. Port Invercargill 14/7/68, and 26/4/69. ( suez conflict ). Port Victor, 21/5/69. Great Days, Take care.........Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wuzzer (Terry Worsley)

Hello to all you young bloods, I don't expect there are many of my generation left - my first trip was in 1943 and later I did a trip in the old Port Sydney. Joined her in February 1945 and went directly to New York. Whilst there Pesident Fanklin Roosvelt died. I will never forget how one radio station announced his demise. The announcer said "As American troops in Germany are crossing the Rhine, our president Franklin D Roosevelt is crossing the Jordan". In convoy homeward bound one of the boilers sprang a leak in the back end (she was a coal burner with three double ended boilers and three single enders) We became a straggler and had to go into the Azores for repairs. The first island we went to were unable to effect the repair so we moved to a second - Faial, I believe where they got to work on it. I was in the furnace doing the menial task of holding a lamp for the welder when someone called with the welcome words "THE WAR IS OVER!" We eventually paid off in London on 2nd June 1945. It was an eventful trip and I quite enjoyed it despite the rugged living condition in the fo'cle head. I carried on at sea until 1951 when getting married put an end to my seafarin' days - Best wishes to all members - R 289123

9. Likes John Robey liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default port pirie.

Hi Glen , Was on same trip, My name is Joe Lambe[irish] Primrose and Diane were stewards , Myself , John eggerton{?spelling] Billy Cowan, Donald and Calum McLEOD. Bosuns name was John ?????something, great guy . Great trip and great crew.Wish i had some photos. regards Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port pirie

Yes Joe that was a good trip, considering the ship was pretty old we had a terrific crowd, Yeh i remember Primrose and Dianne the two stewards. I think i went to the races with you in Melbourne , the food was pretty good on that ship too, but it realy stood out what a happy ship it was . Glenn Australia