Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P.s.n.c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P.s.n.c

Well that is a surprise Ivan I never knew PSNC sailed to anywhere else but the WCSA ,one of my old ships aswell the Salinas.Was this a special charter,just a one off,if somebody would've told me that they went to the Pitcairn Islands on a PSNC cargo boat I would've found it hard to believe but there you are you did.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Likes Charlie Hannah, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Jim, we were on charter to Shaw Saville for a trip to New Zealand, apparently we were instructed by Shaw Saville not to arrive at Pitcairn until after the 'Gothic' which was due there on 1st January 1956 around 1000 an order Capt Litherland did a Nelson to. We left as soon as we spotted the Gothic's masts come over the horizon, we made the papers in NZ as the first to ship to arrive in Pitcairn in 1956.

Later that year whist on 'Salinas' we went on charter to M O D for the Suez invasion becoming the commodore ship and sailing in with the invasion fleet.

I was lucky as when on the 'Sarmiento' we were chartered to Safmarine and did all the ports in South Africa plus Beira and then headed off to the USA, being redelivered back to PSNC in New York, then off to Santiago de Cuba to load a full cargo of sugar for the Continent, it was on that trip we encountered hurricane Carrie and went to the aid of the 'Pamir'

I saw more of the world in 3 years with PSNC than some who had served with them for 20 years plus, which gave me a taster to move companies and see the rest of the world rather than just the WCSA

4. Thanks cappy, Charlie Hannah thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kenny View Post
    Hi Dennis,I sailed on the Pizarro,1956 went to Havana Cuba,the Woman were Lovely,tasted a few,like all the Crew.Valpo,Skandi Bar,and Roland,went a drift there for Two Day's what a life,same thing happend in 1959,worth getting log for on the Santander.Went back there with the Wife Six Year's all gone,but my Memorie's are still with me.Big Container Base now.R634898.Ken.
    Hi Ken.
    I was on her in 62. Den.

6. Thanks Kenneth Kenny thanked for this post
    Likes Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Know Eddie well John! I am in touch with his mate Pat Brady,You have probably met him.Good to see you back on board John.Stay Well.Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Ivan when were you on the Salinas?I was on here from21/9/64 till 6/ Oct /64.
    Ivan just spotted your post no 12. Answered my question right there.Good post!
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 28th February 2015 at 11:43 PM.

8. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad was on the flamenco too and I would love to find him some photos of the ship if anyone can help I would be very grateful.
    Thanks.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How`s that Peter.
    Five photos of FLAMENCO. courtesy of OLD Ship Photos.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    How`s that Peter.
    Five photos of FLAMENCO. courtesy of OLD Ship Photos.
    Cheers
    Brian
    nice to see some proper ships .......instead of these ugly containers and bloody floating pigeon hutches........cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I remember rightly she and or sister ship (Cotopaxi) were being built for Clan Line and were bought on whats called 'off the stocks' when nearing completion. That's why they have a sensible derrick and winch arrangement four derricks and four winches at each hatch instead of that hard work stupid penny pinching system found on the 'S' boats (and others) four derricks all at one end of the hatch and just two winches, so when working port and starboard at anchor had to use rope runners on the drum ends with the winches kept running all the time in temperatures of 90/100, the leckies loved that! The only other ship that had the four/four system was the 'Cuzco' which was also bought off the stocks when she was being built for Ben Line. When you look at the 'Flamenco' you can see that see has the typical Clan Line profile and funnel, and the Cuzco has the Ben Line profile. When sailing on the 'S' Class we used to envy their deck rig

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    If I remember rightly she and or sister ship (Cotopaxi) were being built for Clan Line and were bought on whats called 'off the stocks' when nearing completion. That's why they have a sensible derrick and winch arrangement four derricks and four winches at each hatch instead of that hard work stupid penny pinching system found on the 'S' boats (and others) four derricks all at one end of the hatch and just two winches, so when working port and starboard at anchor had to use rope runners on the drum ends with the winches kept running all the time in temperatures of 90/100, the leckies loved that! The only other ship that had the four/four system was the 'Cuzco' which was also bought off the stocks when she was being built for Ben Line. When you look at the 'Flamenco' you can see that see has the typical Clan Line profile and funnel, and the Cuzco has the Ben Line profile. When sailing on the 'S' Class we used to envy their deck rig
    Ivan, quite correct Clan Stewart and Clan Skene were sold on the stocks to PSNC an renamed Cotapaxi and Kenuta. PSNC were happy with the design and performance of the ships and ordered furthers ships of that class from Denny's of Dumbarton. The Greenock Dockyard had sold the design to Denny.
    regards
    Vic

16. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The design wasn't good for me as pantryman on the Cotopaxi.The pantry was inboard without port holes or a bit of a breeze from anywhere,breakfast time you had the hotpress,hotplate,big grill toaster,water boiler and coffee maker I don't know what the temp would've been but it was hot,just standing still the sweat poured off you.To make matters worse our accommodation was down below and as we all know the swell down WCSA was something else.We had to have the porthole in the cabin battened down some nights so not much sleep was had with the discomfort and then turning to to that pantry would drain anyone.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Kenneth Kenny, Dennis McGuckin, N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast