Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: S.S. Cuzco

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default S.S. Cuzco

Anybody here remember the "Cuzco"? I did 2 deep-sea trips on her in 1959-1960. I went to sea rather than wasting time in the army, and compulsory military service was abolished on my first trip - good excuse for a party! I will never forget the feeling of anticipation leaning on the rail as we waited for the tide while in Canada Dock. Late at night, yellow street lamps in the fog, not a soul to be seen..... I've never regretted the experience - I can still remember the wonderful tropical smell when we arrived at Buenaventura, Colombia. Even though I had served my apprenticeship, I reckoned that I really started to learn about engineering on Cuzco. A rough, tough, Scottish Second Engineer , a gin-soaked lovely old Chief Engineer who told me in tears to "get out before you're stuck here for a lifetime", etc. etc. Great memories!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cuzco

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowe View Post
    Anybody here remember the "Cuzco"? Great memories!
    Hi Mike

Veri interestin ! I did nearly four years with PSNC in the 50's, remember most who went ashore in Beuanaventura came back with more than a tropical smell, reputed to be the most unhygenic place on the WCSA, the town was an ideal Spaghetti Western setting, remember the Amazonian Indians nearly naked walking around with their bow and arrows.

Looks like you took the C/E advice

As you say great memories, Calloa and Valparaiso were the jewels in the crown, also Lima and Vina del Mar if you got sufficient time off, which was very rare!

Ivan
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th January 2016 at 08:47 PM.

3. Thanks Roger Neal thanked for this post
    Likes Roger Neal liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a couple of Psnc boats, Salinas 1953 and Santander around 1958ish.
    Good run in those days with plenty of adventures.
    In 2006 I went all the way up the coast from Punta Arenas to Panama and beyond on` Queen Mary 2`, indeed I did the coast on the east as well as the west coast. A six week trip.
    All the bars had gone, all the girls had gone. Nothing, Crabs Nada. No Sailors in port these days, only a few containers in and out same day and Pilipinos dont go ashore the way we did.
    On the east coast Montevideo only one bar left, California Ba, [ had a big night there, two men killed by Vigies, in my next story,] and it was closed, Se Vende, for sale. I wanted to buy it, the wife said NO.
    BA, all gone, Nada.Fineto.
    the only place in the entire east and west coast was the Skandi Bar.in Valpo. After paying heavily, a very reluctant taxi driver to take us there, I found it still as was, this was daytime, a few girls were stood out side, I had my photo taken with them and the bouncer. The wife stayed in the Taxi, the driver said "Not Safe here". Then he said "I take you to safe side of town, " he dropped us off near El Presidentos` Palace , two minutes later I had my shirt torn off and two hundred US Dollars vanished down the road.
    Callao was just a depressing mud covered slum, people throwing stones at us as we went by in a coach on our way to Lima. Sad. again no bars all gone.
    Just keep the memories lads, there is nothing left out there.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th June 2011 at 03:51 PM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, mike lowe thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad to hear how the West Coast has gone downhill. Spent many happy times on the Oroya, Oropesa and Orcoma down there. Amazing though how the Skandi Bar in Valpo has survived. I can also categorically assure you guys that the Scandy and the Florida Bars in Rio de Janeiro are still going strong and look pretty much the same as they did when I sailed there in the 70's! Some things just never change!!!

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

l did my apprenticeship from 1953 to 1956 with PSNC good times then, sorry to hear about the west coast now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M/v lobos

Hello All, West Coast S.A. was magic for 2 trips on Lobos Apr. '49 to 'Apr.'50. First trip all the way down and through Magellan Str. Montevideo, Trinidad, Boston, home. So good that the 3rd Mate and I swore we would return for next trip. We did, despite the worst grub ever. Loved all the ports and spent all we had in so many bars, even in small places like Tocopilla, Iquique, Antofagasta. Same in Peru, Puerto Montt. Better than all other places, including China, Japan, etc. I was Radio Officer, after time in Army, and before that R/O from '42-'45. Girls was my reason for being in those days. Now at 87 I carry those memories fondly dissolute though they were. Regards, Eric Fisher

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember Cuzco, sailed with you on it in 1959, Liverpool to Valparaiso return.
    I am currently retired, living in Ottawa, Canada since 1964, at the moment I am in Texas avoiding the Canadian winter

12. Thanks mike lowe thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cusco

Remember the Cuzco with a mixture of both fond memories and sorrow as I think I was on her last trip before being sold to the Greeks for scrap. I served my apprenticeship with PSNC 1963-1966 with my first trip being on the Cuzco (think I did 3 consecutive full trips) and on my last trip we hit 3 different hurricanes which left us fairly badly battered. I was informed she had the smallest engine room permitted (never was clear permitted by whom or what regs) and also the lowest metacentric height permitted, this meant she rolled like you would not believe in rough weather and behaved like a submarine when fully loaded. Her final trip (if I am correct this coincided with my final trip on her) she slammed so hard the keel was buckled so the space below the engine room lower plates had reduced by 18 inches, lifeboats and even davits were damaged by the hurricanes and as I left the ship I was told she was being sold for scrap as the damage was so severe. Whatever the truth she was a tough old girl and I have many good memories of the various ports visited ( yes the bars and their many ladies) from Panama to Punta Arenas and the many characters I sailed with.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, mike lowe thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, mike lowe liked this post
    Gulliver Guest

Question s.s. CUSCO...

Quote Originally Posted by Potterer View Post
    Remember the Cuzco with a mixture of both fond memories and sorrow ...............
    Potterer

the CUZCO was actually sold to Ben Line in 1965 and served them for another 12 years…...

CUZCO (O.N.183089) - 8,038 grt-was originally Laid Down as the THURLAND CASTLE for Lancashire Sg.Co,Liverpool,but completed for P.S.N.C. as CUZCO ,in 6/51 by Blyth DD & SB Co,Cowpen Quay.
    1965 Withdrawn and sold to Ben Line(Thomson Group) Renamed BENATTOW.
    9/1977 Broken Up at Kaohsiung.
    Regards
    Gulliver

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony Morcom; 22nd June 2012 at 07:45 PM.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon, mike lowe thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cuzco

Thanks Gulliver - just shows how info from many years ago, when incorrect, becomes a false truth in your mind. Nice to know the ship survived to go on to give good service for a few more years. At least my view she was a tough old ship proved to be true as she took a fair old battering in the Atlantic on my last trip on her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast