Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A man with good idea's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A man with good idea's

I worked for part of the co-operative Group , they made a great thing about being ethical employers and as part of the United Kingdom labour movement as being all for their workers and those we know the Co-op is owned by thousands of small shareholders . When it came to salaries at executive levels there were more secrecy than the mafia and salaries were made up with additional bonuses so if it happens in a company and corporation like that it happens everywhere , people ask me what I got I was not ashamed of it I thought it was slightly underpaid and I say what I got and what my bonus is worth when you have something to hide it makes the whole world just suspicious . When I work for British and Commonwealth shipping they used to have a handbook and it told you every salary in every rank from cadet to master and it told you what the annual increments were so if you knew somebody had been most of a 10 years you could look up the book and you will see the exact salary which I think at the time the top master in around 1966 would have been on somewhere just over £5,500 and as a cadet my wages were just under £400 per year if you're honest and open about everything like that then people don't seem to care
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But we all paid our taxes Rob. If your getting 155,000 dollars a week tax free there is something smelly in the state of Timbuktoo. My income is about $33000 a year and I pay nearly a 1000 dollar tax on that. What’s good. For the goose is good for the gander. Maybe the 155,000 a week is to cover his conscious on paying the last of Australian seamen off, saying their wages bill is too high? JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, that looks a bit odd to me!
    If you have super then it should be tax free and the threshold for tax is in the $30k level anyway.

But salaries are not the problem for major management, it is the bonus they get.
    We hear here in Oz about the bonus this one or that got and it at times boggles the mind as to how they achieved that?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had this discussion before John my income comes from abroad apart from the Oz pension which is reduced because of the others my total income including Oz pension comes to approx. 33000 my wife gets pensions in her own right but is below the threshold and doesn’t pay any. I do andhave seen 3 tax experts on this. So I pay up and smile , this year was about 850 dollars tax, due to the lesser exchange rates I suppose. When I was working paid usually about 40.000 tax a year , which I did not begrudge as was part of the economy of the country. Receiving 150,000 a week and paying nothing is disgusting. You come back to the usual politicians who have done nothing to change that scenario. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Had this discussion before John my income comes from abroad apart from the Oz pension which is reduced because of the others my total income including Oz pension comes to approx. 33000 my wife gets pensions in her own right but is below the threshold and doesn’t pay any. I do andhave seen 3 tax experts on this. So I pay up and smile , this year was about 850 dollars tax, due to the lesser exchange rates I suppose. When I was working paid usually about 40.000 tax a year , which I did not begrudge as was part of the economy of the country. Receiving 150,000 a week and paying nothing is disgusting. You come back to the usual politicians who have done nothing to change that scenario. JS
    John, like you we get some from UK in the form of pension, part super and part seniors pension.
    On income from them of about $60,000 no tax is payable as all were taxed at one time at source.
    Never could understand how it all works.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well doesn’t work for me I can assure you. Hope they don’t change their mind about your tax situation and bring it in line with mine. I won’t tell them. Although being a good citizen should do so. When I see all those manderins of the business world living the life of Riley with no commitments to the country, could well point my vote elsewhere come next year if not earlier. Who knows even old Clive P might be considered , at least you know his degreee of honesty so Will not expect anything unusual from him. Cheers JS

Saying all that have looked up on google and according to them you can have an income if 37000 before taxes for the year 2018- 19. Something fishy here. Will go into a tax office at next opportunity with some figures and ask them how much tax I would pay. I don’t mind paying into the coffers if correct , but certainly not if some shyster is too lazy to do his job correctly. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th February 2019 at 06:27 AM.

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Well doesn’t work for me I can assure you. Hope they don’t change their mind about your tax situation and bring it in line with mine. I won’t tell them. Although being a good citizen should do so. When I see all those manderins of the business world living the life of Riley with no commitments to the country, could well point my vote elsewhere come next year if not earlier. Who knows even old Clive P might be considered , at least you know his degreee of honesty so Will not expect anything unusual from him. Cheers JS

Saying all that have looked up on google and according to them you can have an income if 37000 before taxes for the year 2018- 19. Something fishy here. Will go into a tax office at next opportunity with some figures and ask them how much tax I would pay. I don’t mind paying into the coffers if correct , but certainly not if some shyster is too lazy to do his job correctly. JS.
    John, do you have a financial adviser you can trust?
    We have one and he is great.
    But if you look at any end of year summary of any super it will show that this does not have to be shown on tax returns, similar with UK state pensions.
    Not all tax agents know it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bodiam View Post
    'This is not rocket science': Historian's challenge to billionaires at Davos goes viral

A Dutch historian has gone viral on social media after accusing the wealthy attendees of the World Economic Forum of hypocrisy, and arguing they should be taxed more.

Key points:

The World Economic Forum was held at Davos last week
    Historian Rutger Bregman was speaking on TIME's panel on inequality
    He said industry had to "stop talking about philanthropy and start talking about taxes"
    The forum, held in Davos, Switzerland, is attended by world leaders and heads of business, who come together annually to discuss ways to improve global economic security.

Historian Rutger Bregman was speaking on a panel about taxes, and questioned billionaire attendees' use of fuel-guzzling private jets to come to a conference with a strong focus on tackling climate change.

"This is my first time at Davos and I find it quite a bewildering experience to be honest," he said.

"I mean, 1,500 private jets flown in to hear David Attenborough speak about how we're wrecking the planet.
    "I hear people talking the language of participation and justice and equality and transparency.

"But then almost no-one raises the real issue of tax avoidance, right, and of the rich just not paying their fair share.

"It feels like I'm at a firefighters' conference and no-one's allowed to speak about water."

'All the rest is bullsh*t'

The video of Mr Bregman's comments showed the historian and author speaking on TIME's panel on inequality.
    The world's political elites gather in Switzerland to tackle global issues such as populism and increasing inequality, but analysts said they too are a part of the problem.
    The panel was discussing an Oxfam report which revealed 26 billionaires had the same wealth as the world's poorest 3.8 billion people combined, and was asked whether this inequality was likely to lead to a backlash.

Mr Bregman said industry had to "stop talking about philanthropy and start talking about taxes", citing the high tax rate of 1950s America as a rebuttal against the argument that economies with high personal taxation could not succeed.

"Ten years ago the WEF asked the question, 'What must industry do to prevent a broad social backlash?' The answer is very simple: just stop talking about philanthropy and start talking about taxes. Taxes, taxes," he said.

"Just two days ago there was a billionaire in here — Michael Dell — and he asked a question like, 'Name me one country where a top marginal tax rate of 70 per cent has actually worked'.

"I'm a historian. The United States. That's where it has actually worked, in the 1950s during Republican president Eisenhower, the war veteran, the top marginal tax rate in the US was 91 per cent for people like Michael Dell. The top estate tax for people like Michael Dell was more than 70 per cent.

"This is not rocket science. We can talk for a very long time about all these stupid philanthropy schemes, we can invite Bono once more, but come on — we've got to be talking about taxes.
    "All the rest is bullsh*t in my opinion."

But one member of the audience, former Yahoo chief financial officer Ken Goldman, challenged Mr Bregman's comments, arguing it was a "one-sided panel" that should instead focus on what people actually wanted — "the dignity of a job".

Mr Dell spoke at a panel a few days earlier, arguing against a proposal put forward by Democrat representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for a tax rate of 70 per cent for people with incomes exceeding $US10 million.

He argued it "would not help the growth of the US economy", while other panels said increasing tax was just an "easy fix" and providing education and access to technologies would be a better long-term solution to tackling inequality.

Trevor, bit on the net today, he has been laughed out of court, his words, by the majority who think his ideas are not good.
    The people with the money and power do not agree and say his ideas will do more harm than good.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Trevor Bodiam thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read that article too John, but am not surprised given the audience he was addressing and the location.
    However i do admire him for his bravery in going ahead with the speech, which from what i've read, was not the original one he'd prepared.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###perhaps the term financial advisor is a diffent term to the one used in the uk ......but a financial advisor here is a person mainly concerned with the best way to look after your capital and place it in the best places to make it secure and grow .......there have been a very very large amount ofbad reports of money going adrift etc in some hands ....in this country anyone with a briefcase and a good line in patter can call himself a financial advisor ....a great pal of mine had a large bombed out site in leeds he bought it quite cheap and used it as a car park .....competition was hard ....he made a living that was all in his hut with leather bag 7 days a week ......along came a big national and offered him nearly 3 million quid to build a 5 story car park ...he coulnt believe it ...he has been making a living that was all.......some bright spark told him you need a financial advisor .....the advisor with no qualifications but a very nice looking businnes card etc ...told him you must put most of the money ito a trust for your wife ......as you are older than her and will die ist on average and the tax will be penal for your child also put money in for your child but so he can get only a certain amount at a time ...and so much per annum .....my buddy listened and signed it all ...some two years later ....my buddy called on the phone and told by a mate go to the certain addres and go in the house your wife is with your financial advisor........sure enough she left my buddy for this guy and he ended up after much litigation with not a lot .......any taxation matters are best sorted by a good accountant which can be expensive but are usually on the ball ......the last time i saw my old mate was having lunch with JS and Gwen last june or july i introduced john to my old mate who came over to our table i believe itold JS at the time the story .......but then even chartered accountants can make mistake .....but that would be my take to be sure taxes are in order ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy a few years after living here after getting over the lean years of having no credit rating etc. I had a good steady income going into the bank, and to which end the bank appointed me a financial advisor. I through my own efforts had acquired 2 rental properties . Getting close to retirement I told this financial adviser to sell one of them as I needed the cash to buy land to build my retirement home. Came home from sea and couldn’t see the cash in the account so went to the bank and said where is it. Oh! He. Said I paid off the mortgage on your other rental property I thought . That’s what you would do. Wrong !!! I said get that money back. In the account pronto. He did and I sacked him. I don’t listen to any bank officials since then ,and the present national equiries into the banking system here at the moment proves me right. The deeds for my own house I took out of the hands oft the bank years ago and placed them with our wills etc, with a solicitor. He may also be a bit off but will soon find out when Sell this property. The system here is different than the uk and to a certain extent it is bound in red tape which hides a lot of misdemeanours. Think most of the Bushrangers of old went into the banking profession as was easier than stealing it. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th February 2019 at 09:27 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast