Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BHP & BLUESCOPE Job losses ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BHP & BLUESCOPE Job losses ?

Australia from the time of my first coming here as a boy of 16 Des in 1953,always appeared to me as a land of a fair go. It appeared to me not used to such as a classless society. Even on emigrating here in 1991. There was still a strong semblance of this , and which I give some credit to the unions for retaining the status quo. It was still there in 2002 when I retired . But seemingly the power of the unions has disappeared to what it was. It was whittled away and the class society once again appeared. A lot can be blamed on the workers themselves, but mostly is the class society expounded by politicians. If anyone thinks the right arm of politics is there for the working man, should have another rethink. I was and still am a strong believer in a trade union and is the only safeguard the worker has, regardless of the spoof put out by the right wing media. I brought one ship down here from Singapore with an Indonesian crew , who I think thought they were in clover, on arrival Dampier I phoned the union to put them in the picture , and the Indonesian crew were on the next flight back to Singapore. I am led to believe that would be unheard of today. JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th January 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Les.
    Best news I ever read since coming to Aus; when John Howard was the only Aus PM to lose his seat in an election ,and to a woman. He sold the State shipping destroyed the Unions to the extent he had troops training up the Gulf how to handle containers cranes long before Patrick's started their bullshit.
    Cheers Des

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My brother is a sparky and he was telling me that BHP along with a number of other such companies are now in the process of laying off staff only to bring them back as contractors.

It reduces company costs by around 30% as that is the cost of on costs, super, payroll tax, long service leave etc.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One answer to that John , is nationalise the company. I can’t afford to pay the tax on my small pension but still have to fork up. A big company that can’t afford to pay its workers properly shouldn’t be in business.. years. Ago when the average man in the street paid his bills on time, it was unheard of for him to dabble in the share market. Previous governments have coerced the general public to buy shares to improve their well being. I think it was also to get them involved and on side with big business , and not self reliant as they once were. Today they are tools of big business. JS

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking about #24... what would you prefer. ... see these big Australian Icons go into foreign ownership or taken into Australian public ownership ? For those In the UK anyone know what happened or is about to Happen to Kielder Reservoir which some bright spark sold to the French ? All utilities as. Far as I would be concerned should be under public ownership. Free Trade is ok but you don’t sell the country as many would have you do. Who knows who really owns the land your house is sitting on. You may have a piece of paper which says you have title to, what happens when an alien comes along with a bigger piece of paper ? JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob I can remember them talking about fatigue over40 years ago. What we got was more fatigue than ever before. All before that female Polly was probably born. All been said inthe past and probably in another40 odd years time the same snakewith the forked tongue. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I did what I could when I was working much to the detriment of my family, others stood there and collected the bounty but continued to do nothing to help. I am in no position now to do anything but advise my kids, and look on helplessly at what is happening, come the day people are eating grass , and that's not to far away it will be interesting to see who they blame.
    Cheers Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 19th January 2019 at 03:33 AM.

12. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des the MUA certainly made my job easier and safer for everyone. Regardless of what anyone says and the bullyingthat has been discussed here on other topics , this also. Existed offshore to some extent. If the rigs asked me to do a doubtful job , and knew if I refused would be threatened of being put off charter which meant the sack in other words. It was a hard decision to make. Out here I used to get the seaman’s rep. Up on the bridge and explain to him the dangers involved and pushed him one way or the other. With. The decision made on the ship and not on the rig. Would then put the seaman on the vhf who identified himself as the MUA rep. And it worked wonders. That’s what I call safety not some twit on a rig throwing his weight around on having the wrong type of safety boots on. Real dangerous jobs which if something went wrong you were held accountable for on the ship. The MUA out here did more for safety than any company manual I ever saw. As said I have no complaints about the MUA they did haveof course the usual shiftless articles using the Union As. A cover for their own short comings the same as every other walk of life. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th January 2019 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John#24, sorry mate but no.
    No gov of any sort should be involved in the ownership, management or control of any business be it a corporation or a utility.
    That is the job of business, governments make the rules under which they operate, got govs to be in it would create a conflict of interest.

But costs for employers ae getting beyond the point where acceptable.
    Super, work cover, payroll tax, provision for long service leave, provision for leave loading, provision for sick leave, provision for maternity leave and provision for family violence leave.
    All this adds at least 30% to the company wage bill, something no gov would want to pay.

But such costs add to the price of the end product, all price on any goods sold is based on wage and other costs.

As to the British poli speaking about conditions at sea, wonder if she has ever been on a ship, forgets that most seafarers now are no longer from UK, those that are only go in senior or semi senior positions.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 19th January 2019 at 04:33 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3