Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BHP & BLUESCOPE Job losses ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BHP & BLUESCOPE Job losses ?

Not surprising as the Australian seamen's number has been in decline for years now.
    BHP like so many others either use contract labor or will bring in overseas workers on 245 visas claiming there ae not enough locals to do the job.
    Both political parties say they will stop the process but never do as BHP brings in so much wealth for the nation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Ken Norton, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

They've just shafted us': Unions fear job losses as BHP ends shipping contracts.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...15-p50rej.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still see moves like this as watering down standards , whether true or not I am given the impression that certificates can be bought east of Suez
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob the media out here has always upheld the likes of Broken Hill Propriety as an Australian icon as far as one gets. I was working for them via a ships charter about the middle nineties on a ship called the Pacific Marlin an ex well head vessel come safety vessel riding shotgun on a British Rig working off Kangaroo Island looking for oil. We were told not to talk or give out information to the greenies on what we were doing there. This got up my nose for starters who are they to dictate who we talk to, however that is besides the point. As per a previous post I was asked by the rig to store all their explosives and detonators on board the Pacific Marlin, on hearing they would be stored permanently and with vistas of the not too far off Piper Alpha, I refused. Next time in port I had a visitation from 2 reps from BHP. All nice as could be , sat and had a beer with them and told them what they wanted to hear. A few weeks later got a nasty letter from Swires the owner of the ship, saying that BHP weren’t happy with my non co-operation . If it hadn’t been for fear of the unions I would have been sacked on the spot. So much for BHP they are the same as any other big oil company as regards safety or any other problems in the industry. Money is the sole reason for them being there , if they can’t make massive profits they like the footballer lying on the field claiming foul with a future in the acting world or maybe even politics in the back of his mind. If it wasn’t for the fear of that same Union that people claim is unneccecerry , I would have been looking elsewhere for work. BHP to me are no better or no worse than the lot of them. I know who I would be voting for next election if it wasn’t for the present incumbent leader they have at the moment. May be even forced to vote for Clive Palmer and that would be a tragedy indeed. Cheers JS........
    As regards John Walkers reply from unions , despite the statements previously made by successive governments here , as regards the maritime unions it was said with tongue in cheek, the maritime as it once was is today apparently a spent force by successive legislation and none conforming to previous government statements. Politics is a pain in the Ass at the best of times. Only beneficiaries are themselves. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th January 2019 at 10:30 AM.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carillion were building the new Royal Hospital in Liverpool it was running 2 years behind time and came to a standstill as Carillion went bust,a new builder has just been appointed.It was being built by way of PFI I know a lad that was working on it with the electricians earning silly money,because itsPFI money is no object it's only government money begger the expense,I don't know how many interpreters there was to accommodate the foreign workers,could you not employ English speaking people and do away with the likes of interpreters,no speak English no job,oh and by the way some of these workers were rubbish I'm told.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carillion built and operated the non-clinical side of Portsmouth Queen Alexandra Hospital which is one of the largest hospitals in Europe it was set up as a pfi and over 30 years will cost an absolute fortune . If there is a meeting set up for 6 people there will be a charge for tea and coffee etc delivered to the meeting if you add another person on that they had £40 more on to that bill same as if you want an electrical socket moved along the trunking which would take less than an hour and less than £5 in materials the minimum charge will be £450 , Carillion are the Descendants of tarmac construction who were notorious for not paying their contractors and subcontractors in less than 9 to 12 months Corelli and carried on in the same way . These pfi schemes were supposedly to stop , original huge outlays on new premises my understanding was in the 30 years operating. That the pfi would have cost over 3 times the amount that the NHS would have cost in setting up and running the hospital themselves .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 & 9 TUPE In theory this legislation is fine, in practice it is open to abuse. I have seen cases of drivers who had transferred from one company to another who had preferred to take redundancy which under TUPE is not an option. They were used to working overtime at time and a half at weekends to supplement their average earnings this was abolished as an expensive oddity agency workers were used instead. A lot of the perks of the job that were not in the original contract like the company supplying work boots overalls etc. were abolished. The new company were cutting a lot of corners on safety issues. There was a continuous diluting of work practices that had made the original employment worth while. Two of the drivers would have liked to have taken the company to an Industrial Tribunal but were worried about prohibitive costs. I have seen other cases with a local council authority and there employees when their jobs were subcontracted to an outsourcing company. If/when the U.K. comes out of the E.E.C. that legislation will still be in place along with the working time directives etc. How long it will stay in place is any one' guess.
    Here in the U.K. as seamen we saw our jobs go as the main asset of a shipping company are its ships. Those assets were transferred to various flags of convenience, a lot of officers were offered there old jobs back at lesser rates of pay with other benefits like pensions and leave pay diluted or even abolished. The majority of British crew were not even offered employment that went to third world nationals. Other Industries saw factories built over seas and machinery and jobs exported because it is cheaper labour, and in recent cases like Jaguar building a new plant in Bulgaria with a £100 million pound tax break and a few years ago ditto for Ford in Turkey. Well that unfortunately is how big business and multi national companies work. What sticks in my throat is what jobs are left are then open to the whole of the E.E.C, throw in zero hours contracts, the abuse of so called self employment, the government paying tax credits and/or housing benefit to those who cannot earn enough to live on (An indirect subsidy to employers) and a laughable minimum wage. The British worker has not got a lot going for them and when you look at the unemployment hot spots and the extremely high youth unemployment the future looks bleak.

10. Thanks Ken Norton thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

15, without getting political Jim, i,m sure they are loving the flood of cheap labour from Europe, i,m sure if the going rate, and HOURS importantly were as they should be, then our guys would all love the work, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    #8 & 9 TUPE In theory this legislation is fine, in practice it is open to abuse..
    The British worker has not got a lot going for them and when you look at the unemployment hot spots and the extremely high youth unemployment the future looks bleak.
    Many companies have shot themselves in the foot by underestimating how much British made goods were valued overseas and moved out to cheaper places, sometimes for minor savings;
    My employer is based in Somerset, just up the road from where the original Clarks shoe factories were. We employ quite a few ex Clarks people and they gave me one instance - Desert boots, simple and cheap to make, suede uppers and crepe rubber soles, about £1.50 to produce, biggest market? Japan selling at around £300,
    why? because the Japs loved the little Union flag tag stitched on the uppers. Production moved to Vietnam to about 50 / 75p, result Jap market collapsed, why? no more little flag on the side cos it aint made in UK any more.#
    same with Marks & Spencer, clothes made in the UK to very exacting quality standards, no more, they moved out years ago and look at them now, still charging prices for quality goods but all manufactured in bargain basement countries.
    Am off for a livener, just winding myself up with this.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th January 2019 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Casting my mind back a few years and can still hear those anti union people trying to tell me and others that if we where to become non union labour that the company would look after us better as we are their greatest asset to the company. Well thanks to their attitudes they have managed to weaken the union base and this is the result. Have to say there are those on this site with that same self attitude towards the common worker and to this day will denigrate anything union wise. Well thank you to all those with that attitude and just look at what has transpired. As said in the past? If the company had looked after its workers in the first place there never would have been a union. Hence why we are going to end up with a rehash of the past and foster radical action from those being exploited by companies. As for those that have lost their jobs on the two Aussie ships there was a report that crew on each of those ships had agreed to a wage freeze back in 2014 to help save their positions and that the company had delayed one of the ships so that both where out of australian waters for when they informed the crews that their positions where no longer there. This all stems back to the Howard governement which started process to weaken the unions especially the MUA. Viva the revolution that is coming real soon.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast