Thread: H.m.v,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default H.m.v,

Just read headlines on B.B.C. news and found this.

Music retailer HMV has confirmed it is calling in KPMG as administrators.
    The move, the second in six years, involves 2,200 staff at 125 stores.

As a music fanatic and buyer its very sad that i won't be able to visit their Oxford St. shop again if things do go pear shaped.

"Another one bites the dust."

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: H.m.v,

Technology has outrun the High Street in more ways than one. In regard to music I was surprised to learn that many PCs do not now have a CD Rom installed. The reason apparently being that most music is now paid for and downloaded to your device by the likes of I Tunes etc, so there is no need to purchase a CD anymore. Just buy an I Pod - upload your music and hey presto your car media unit will play it for you, so no need for CD's in your car. AH well I have just realised I have loads of new ' Frisbee's ' for the dog to fetch - oops must remember to download them to my PC before throwing them.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 28th December 2018 at 04:28 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of HMV biggest cash sales was through the box sales of DVD sales of t.v. shows etc. which with the advent of BBC iPlayer etc. has caused a big drop in sales in those items. Nearly all music these days, as stated previously, is from download's from the internet.in recent years there has been a big increase in vinyl records album sales but do HMV still sell vinyl?
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only know that the Oxford Street has a very big vinyl section, so could be lots of bargains in near future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think they're a lot of the high street. Problems shown in Debenhams and House of Fraser along with the now defunct companies that have gone out of business I am somebody that will sit at home order to day off Amazon and have the delivery tomorrow so I've done my little bit to stab the High Street in the back this is nothing new think of every Village had a village shop now how many have one ! If you look for the cheapest and the most convenient way of shopping the high street is dead unless somebody has a bright idea and give it a great big Revival
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Keith at Tregenna Guest

HMV could survive well on line and if they diversify, some outlets also.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was pondering for sometime what HMV stood for, then it suddenly struck me, His Masters Voice, used to have a fox terrier sitting besides an old gramophone , on the labels of the records. Think I may still have some.
    Other initials with a different theme for those in the uk who might think they stand for something British is BHP , which stands for Broken Hill Propriety. An Australian company. Unless of course you prefer to use as Break Horse Power, or such like. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th December 2018 at 01:47 AM.