Thread: Indonesia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Indonesia

I see in the news that Indonesia has had another tsunami, many are thought to be dead, 168 at the moment. These poor countries always seem to have natural tragedies of one sort or another, i know they live on the ring of fire, but having travelled there a bit, it saddens me, kt
    R689823

2. Thanks joseph connor, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indonesia

Sad, they lost 250,000 a couple of years ago.
    Of all the Mo slam countries they are the Best. very friendly people. All the catering Staff on Holland America ships are from Java and the islands. I was there for six months on the coast and had a memorable trip in those Spice Islands.

Just hope Dedeh is OK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indonesia

Very sad news indeed,

Scientists are still trying to determine the exact cause. The earthquake that occurred on Friday morning was not a thrust earthquake, the kind that is responsible for most tsunamis, where tectonic plates move vertically up and down and displace water.
    Instead it was caused by what is known as a strike-slip fault, where tectonic plates move horizontally. According to Phil Cummins, a professor of natural hazards at the Australian National University, these earthquakes usually lead only to very weak tsunamis.
    It has been suggested that Friday’s earthquake could have caused a large underwater landslide that displaced the water. This submarine landslide could have occurred either in Palu bay, close to the shore, or further out to sea. The Cruel Sea we all know only so well.
    {terry scouse}

5. Likes Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post