Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mr Moxley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Shortus,Mr Moxley seems to have looked after a lot of guys,which reinforces my positive opinion about him all these years later.I remember hoisting knickers up the mast and,it did'nt seem to be anything other than expected,but some of the officers,as I remembered,could,nt buy a sense of humor,
    all the best,
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i remember a better one than knickers up the mast. wellington harbour christmas one year. we put parrafin in about twenty chamber pots, set light to them and sailed them across the harbour what a lovely sight. cheers. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I take it Alf that they were not in use at the time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim Moxley for those who didn't know, sailed on the Dorset in the Malta convoy Operation Pedistal as the deck boy, the ship was the last one to be sunk just before arriving at Malta, my dad was an Ab on the same ship, so when I joined the NZSCo it was a nice suprise to see Jim.
    One of the ships to make it was the Port Chalmers on a strange chance, my first ship 1965 with NZSCo was the new Dorset and when we arrived in Bluff we berthed next to the original Port Chalmers which sailed the next day for Formosa for scrap talk about reversal of fortunes what are the chances of a meeting like that some 24 years apart,
    anyone on deck do the maiden voyage of the Taupo or last of the Rangitane
    Last edited by Roy Glencross; 6th February 2009 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rangitiki

Quote Originally Posted by ian walsh (paddy) View Post
    does anyone remember mr moxley?and how about singing "crossed flags" to the tune of the "green berets"
    i certainly remember mr moxley, what i do remember about him was that after you had been on a long voyage and then your shore leave, you could walk into his office that was based in londons royal albert dock and he would instantly reognize you, it was as if he had met you yesterday and not 4 or 5 months ago! However as i had been a "bad boy" and along with the rest of the deck hands had been sackedafter taking a ship round the coast, he simply said to me" ihave the very ship for you, go over to the gloucester in the albert dock and sign on, new zealand and back". 13 months later i came home!
    Also i sailed on the rangitikis final voyage and as the youngest crew member was selected to present the captain with a oil painting f the ship.anyone remember this
    colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin & all, good words about Mr Moxley,your sentiments reminded me of an incident when he looked after me,I was home on leave after my 1st trip and,the day before I was to return to London I broke my collarbone and phoned him a mad panic,thinking I had just blown my Merch career.Mr Moxley was great,calmed me down,told me not to worry and call him when the doc released me for work and he would put me on a ship,he was as good as his word and put me straight on Somerset.A good man.
    all the best,
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr Moxley was a great bloke and had one hell of a memory. I joined the Otaio in 1970 and while on that trip
    the wife gave birth to our first child.When the Otaio returned to Liverpool we all paid off and went home .I
    got a telegram which told me I had to go back to Liverpool at take my EDH certificate and if I did I could rejoin the Otaio in KG5 in London. I did as was requested and a month later got a telegram to join the Otaio.
    Went to the office and had never met Mr Moxley before so I told him who I was and the first thing he said was hows the wife and the new baby.He then asked how I was off for cash I told him I had used my last tenner to get to London , he smiled at me and said don't worry we owe you some money get down the post office and send this to your wife. Thinking this was a loan I asked how do I pay it back he said you don't we owe you. As I said a great bloke.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great story mate,I would like to see more guys letting us know about Mr Moxleys helping hand,
    all the best,
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mr Moxley

I am Jim's son, Simon, and it has given me great pleasure reading this thread. Jim died around 2006, and I do remember "Tern TV" making a documentary about him, and his recruiting of crew from the Western Isles, sadly the DVD is lost somewhere in my stuff.
    After leaving NZS&Co, when threatened with the P&O takeover, we moved to Monaco for my dad to help with Silver Line personnel, and Manila, to find an agent. Happy days - I miss you Dad!dad!!.jpg

10. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mr Moxley

He agreed with my sacking first trip deck boy after a 6 month trip ,tried to give my side of the events that led up to sacking but would not listen ,so on my way i went,thinking of giving up the sea going lark ,but a trip to Dock st pool and a trip on a chatty old city boat ,with out all the NZSco bullshit ,changed my outlook on a sea going life ,went on to do 35 years at sea ,so i suppose in some way's he done me a favor

12. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2