Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pipiriki

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pipiriki

#20, Hi Des I thought New Plymouth was a lovely town, I'll always remember a bloke fishing in the Harbour using
    baby octopus as bait and the snow capped Mount Egmont, I absolutely loved NZ and it was the closest I've ever been
    to leaving England, I probably wouldn't recognize NZ today, so I'll stick with my memories. Cheers JC

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Johnf
    I was on the British Piper in 53, we went around the NZ coast carrying petrol, I was supposed to meet my brother in Auckland he was a lighthouse keeper in the Hauraki Gulf, but as we were always breaking down he was back there before we arrived. The lads started jumping in Auckland, then Wellington, Lyttleton, Dunedin, some were caught and brought back aboard then we went to finish discharging in new Plymouth and four Gordie's jumped as they had met sheilas they wanted to marry. they had the brains as it was the last port and we were away before they could be caught. when I went back there in 58 on the NZ coaster Calm I met them in a pub; they had all married, one to a woman with four kids, they were very happy with their lot. Later I met the Chief engineer who had jumped in Dunedin; he would wouldn't he, down there, he was a Scot , he had a trotting stable when I saw him had done well for himself, don't know if he married into it.
    Cheers Des

4. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Susan Tammy Williams Guest

Hi Des no i didnt know a Johnny Holmes i dont think. I met the guys in 1966 in Wellington. There was a Kenny Mccrae he was like a protective big brother and a Jock (real name Norman) very shy and a lovely boy called Angus from Glasgow who was very kind and i wish i had known him more as i have never forgotten them. I married a merchant navy boy from Kent called Ken Williams but he died in 1977 after only 9 years together. he was my soul mate and theres never been another like him. Susan

6. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes John F Collier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Susan.
    Sorry to here that you lost your soul mate so early. We look back on those days with longing but unfortunately they will never come back. I don't suppose there are many ships coming into New Plymouth these days. We went back to NZ 12 years ago lived in Whangarei for five years then came back to Aus, the only ship I saw was the Golden Bay the cement boat . This site brings all the old memories back.
    Cheers Des

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3