Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MV Haparangi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile MV Haparangi

Anybody out there who was an Engineer on the Haparangi during 1966/7?

2. Likes john trumble liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome

Hi John T,
    Welcome to this site mate,hope you will have a good stay here with us,and find what you are seeking!
    There are lots of good guys here and i am sure in time someone will come up with the goods so to speak@
    Cheers

Nice little Pic of the Ship you mention here!

http://www.nzshippingcoassoc.org.nz/ships.html

http://www.seapixonline.com/nsphoto....d&wds=&cat=118
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th October 2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well now John Thomas welcome to the ship of dreams, hope you enjoy the voyage, good ship, good crew, destination unknown.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI JOHN THOMAS.
    WELCOME to our place.As for your destination you can go anywhere your dreams take you.SO where would you like to go????.You name it and where on our way.
    Best wishes geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

6. Likes Moira Wichman, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    I am from oldham but now live in mallorca
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hiporangi 67-68

hi john t,
    I joined nzsco in 67 sailed on the mv hertford enjoyed new plymouth and then coasted the uk on various ships including hinorica,hiporangi,otao awaiting the arrival of the new ship nottingham. < I think< went on leave got a job got married and so refused the possition of 2nd fridge eng. thats my story now living in mallorca still enjoying the sun all the best john sedgy,
    Last edited by sedgy; 25th November 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sedgy, welcome to the ship of dreams, and many nightmares. You will find a regular assortment of many good man, and a few ladies. So grab a cold one, sit back and enjoy ther voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lifestyle Retirement Village,Tawa Wellington,New Zealand 5028
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Haparangi

Hi John T.
    I'm a new member of 10 minutes and noticed the "Haparangi".My Uncle only 5 years older than me was an Engineer on her in 1950-51-52,Loved it especially when they were stuck against the wharf in the Wharfies Strike in 51.at Wellington.He's either up top on a beautiful sailing ship or down below stoking the boilers.I preferred the "Hauraki" for 12 month,then some Luxury on the "Rangitane" with perquisits for a couple of years.Then a new NZ coaster delivery from Holland.Had a lovely MAN Submarine engine and sailed like a Submarine.Glad we had been delayed for 4 Months 1956 when the Big Freeze was on and The Rhine froze as did all the canals in Holland.Wedding to NZ'er had to be cancelled twice.Arrived Lyttelton May 56 and offered Chiefs Job.So rang wife to be and one who will be Obeyed.Take the job, permanent cancellation of wedding.Sound advice,as she (The Holmglen)foundered 2 years later taking all the crew with her, off Timaru.Only two bodies found.That advice from my lady has so far lasted another 52 1/2 vears of married life.Plus perquisits of 3 Daughters,9 Grandchildren and 2 G/Grandchildren.Unfotunately left knee has worn out,so having a new one in 3 weeks.
    Just in case any of the Haparangi Crew from the early 50's are members.My Uncles name was Cyril Lunt 'Ginger'
    Best Regards sorry for rambling on a bit Ken B

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haparangi

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your correspondance, thought nobody had been on the MV Haparangi.

Much like you- left the sea - got engaged then married, finished my Higher National then emmigrated to South Africa and after 25 years returned to Wales with my wife daughter her boyfried and my mother in law, that was in 1997.
    Will be officially retiring this year, 65 yrs old - still miss those days in the Merchant Navy after all these years, my wife and I are going on a P&O cruise later this month, so looking forward to that.
    Also,like you, my knee has gone and have to have an injection of Synvisc every 6 months, which works rather well.

Take care and kind regards to you amd youe family.

John N T

11. Likes john trumble, Peter F Chard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hello john n thomas

I do rember you. we sailed together on the Haparangi. I signed off the haparangi on friday the 20/01/1967We did meet up again in Stretford Manchester with a friend of yours ann jones 107 edge lane stretford, I have keept my New Zealand diary for1967. I recall big jim clarke joined us as chief engineer on our return from new Zealand, I same as most engineers changed ships, I joined the MV Somerset, and sailed to South Africa. I left the navy in 1968 and got married. I have 3 children 4 Grand children and 1 great grand child. I have been looking for copys of crossed flags to see where the rest of engineers finished up, such as wee john mc'cullock our third and barry boumount our fourth who lived in Huddersfield. I have now retired and spend most of my time playing golf. Best reguards to you and your familey, john trumble

Gulliver Guest

Default m.v.HOLMGLEN

Hi Gentlemen,wherever you live in the world,what a truly global ship we are!
    Always nice to hear your tales,and hear about successful contacts.
    My eye was caught by Ken's lucky escape from the 'Holmglen'.I find such mysteries fascinating,and is yet another one worth recording on site.
    For others who may not know,this is her story........

Holmglen
    A marine disaster of unusual character, the cause and manner of which was never definitely determined, occurred on 24 November 1959 when the m.v. Holmglen, of 485 tons, owned by the Holm Shipping Co. Ltd., Wellington, foundered 22 miles south-east of Timaru with the loss of all hands, 15 officers and crew. The Holmglen had left Oamaru for Timaru late in the afternoon, and at 9.24p.m. shore stations at Dunedin and Wellington received the international May Day distress signal over the radiotelephone from Captain E. J. E. Regnaud requesting assistance. His message was "Am heeling heavily to port … accommodation awash … preparing to launch boat". He asked Taiaroa Head (Otago Harbour) to stand by for further messages, but nothing more was ever heard from the stricken vessel. There was a strong southerly wind at the time with a moderate to rough sea, but nothing which would normally worry such a craft. By dawn two naval launches and 17 fishing craft began a search and, later, three freighters and six aircraft joined in. The Holmburn, another of the company's ships, discovered an oil slick at 5.30 a.m. on 25 November. The Holmglen was eventually discovered by echo sounders in 30 fathoms of water about 6 miles from the position from which she sent out her distress call. Wreckage and two bodies were later picked up. Close examination by divers using television cameras disclosed nothing that could account for the sudden foundering of the vessel, and the Marine Court of Inquiry was unable to establish any cause of the tragedy. The ship was found to be resting on an even keel and there was no sign of a boiler explosion. The cargo appeared to be properly stowed; there was no evidence of its having shifted and, though the vessel was very close to her marks, she was not overloaded. The disaster remains a mystery to this day.

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 11th July 2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Photo Added

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast