Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: MV Haparangi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Haparangi

..jeez mr you have some tip for yourself......i never called anyone at sea sir in my life ....it was second or third or mr mate .....and with no disrespect to engineers they were not of anymore position to me than any other crew member ...methinks a shields crowd would have soon settled your kettle of self importance...if that is your attitude perhaps it will with a bit of luck be donkeys years before we hear from you again ....lol lol cappy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    First time I've looked in on this post just reading about class and the 9th engineers comments.He could be right that he was superior to crew,remember on lifeboat drill the officer would take a roll call,come to me Brady come to the 9th engineer MR.Trumble.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    ###lol jim they make you bleedin laugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it gives us all a giggle, could have just as easy given a right hander with that attitude on the ships i sailed on. there were some hard men in the 50s, just after the war, and would not take any crap from anyone, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john trumble View Post
    Again not been on for over 2 years, what a load of rubbish and disrespect your comments are, engineers and deck offers no matter what rank they are, they are ships officers. And all have responsibilities for the safe operations on board the ship. To come out with statements like that shows what kind of person you are. So you now know why you had that position you had.
    It may help if you stated which posts you alluded to. In my 'working life' of 60 years both at sea and ashore I found that respect had to be earned, and had also to be given. Respect was not a god given right depending upon the uniform you were wearing, We have no uniforms on this site and we all respect each others abilities regardless of their heirachy on a vessel, we all continue to learn from each other regardless of our age. I would consider any man foolish if he disdained taking notice of any observations or experiences from someone below him on the ladder and who had been at sea longer. A lot of personnel at sea were quite happy serving in certain ranks/ratings that does not mean they were unintelligent, far from it.

You had/have to obey orders in the Armed Services because of the uniform, that didn't mean that you respected the order giver but that's the way it was in the Armed Forces.

4. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, thomas michael, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember an old documentary from many years ago about officer's training at Sandhurst and they had a grizzly old Sergeant Major drilling them , he explained to them that they would call him Sir because he was a sergeant major with a lot of experience and with their training officer and he would call them sir because they were trendy Army officer the difference was only one of them would mean it
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Likes Keith Tindell, cappy, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7