Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MV Haparangi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Holmglen

Hi Gulliver,

Having a look at your pic of the Holmglen.
    I think in blowup you can see her starboard side marks. There is freeing ports and below them belting which indicates where she lies alongside.
    I would not like to sail on that ship if she was down to those marks. They certainly look like freeboard marks to me??

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G' day John T, and welkcome to the site, best around. If you care to list your ships with dates you may well find more who knew you. So while you wait just sit back with a cold one nad enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,I just read your post and,I was on the Somerset in '67 when we did a run to Capetown.I was on her for three trips on deck from may 66 till feb 68,with a couple of leave periods thrown in,do you remember the date of the trip you did to S.A.?
    all the best,
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy M.V. Somerset 1967

Hi Ian. I joined the somerset 20/02 1967 in Liverpool, Sailed to London on the 27th, Arrived 1st March Left London on the 11th for Las Palmas and onto Cape town, Arrived in Cape town 1st April. From old notes i recall the 3rd Officer was Peter Hornet. We returned with cargo to southampton and then onto London, on the 29th April 1967. Rejoined the Somerset 30th May at Royal Albert Dock as 6th Engineer. Left London for New Zealand via panama 16th june, If you was on this trip we called at Raratonga in the Cook Islands on 11 July, Only stayed for 4 days, before sailing to Auckland. After various ports, Left Auckland again for Panama, then called at,Charleston, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Newark, Boston on the east coast of U.S.A. Before sailing to Canada. Montreal and Three Rivers in Quebeck. Returned to Brooklin New York, Philadelphia, also remember gowing to Savanah, Before gowing back through panama to New Zealand, Arriving again in Auckland on the 21st December 1967. I think we left New Zealand in January 1968 and arrived back in the U.K. end of january or early February. Others onboard was 5th engineer John Fricker from Liverpool, Alex Russel 2nd fridge engineer, John Ackrill 3rd engineer. I had just turned 23 years old, and got Married 6 Months later. with 3 Kids and 5 grand kids, Ive beed back to most places in amercia, and all over Europe. And some day may get back to New Zealand. Let me Know Ian if you rember me are any other of the crew. I still live in Leigh near Manchester. Best reguards for now. JOHN TRUMBLE Ex Somerset Engineer. 1967:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,great to hear from you,I have vague memories of a lot of my old shipmates,and specific memories of some,I do not know why that is but,it annoys me.I remember Alex quite well and the chief frig.Do you remember Alex and Pete the greaser getting into it on the dock,I believe it was in Savannah.I never knew what it was all about but,Alex won that round and,I think it was kept quiet.Your dates are dead on,we paid off 17/2/68 after the double header in Victoria docks.I remember it being a great trip,do you remember playing football in Rarotonga against the locals,we were winning so the whole village flooded onto the pitch and played against us!!! I got my one and only logging there,late back for my watch.I was on the 12-4 and thought the 2nd mate did not see me return late,kind of difficult to sneak aboard as we had to come back by boat and he was looking down at us from the bridge. I sailed on Northumberland and Piako after that and got a bad medical discharge at the end of 68,did a trip with Irish Shipping and then went back in the motor trade for a few years before heading to the States and the Yacht Industry,I have been a Yacht Capt for the last 30 years but,still miss the Merchant Navy.I have two grown sons but,no grandchildren as yet,but three Staffordshire terriers and three cats make up for it!!!I have been married 28 years but,I spend 6 months away every year,I think that is what makes it work!!!
    Take care for now John,
    all the best,
    Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mv somerset at rarotonga

Hi Ian, just got around to reply to your questions, I played football with you in rarotonga, I remember we was getting beat easy in the first half, and they wanted to play rugby in the second half, But with the size of their players to ours, we declined, and played football. I think it was on the day we arrived in raratonga i was duty night engineer on board, from midnight untill 8am, but stayed ashore until after Midnight, I had to pay some boat owner to take me back to our ship, Was you the other person who came back with me, If so i was not as lucky as you, our chief engineer was waiting for the duty engineer, and our 7th engineer said we had changed dutys, and he was on duty, i could have stayed ashore all night. Looking at rarotonga via google earth, its changed a lot, i remember the airport was a grass strip with 1 flight a week from N.Z. The scrap in savannah with Alex and Pete, ive seen pete a few times since,we went out a few times with some of his mates from Shaw savell in 1968, but not seen him for 10 years, the place we were tied up in Savannah just before the bridge, i went back to 5 years ago, and stayed in the old warehouse, which is a first class hotel called the River Inn. All The best for now Ian, With best reguards John.
    Last edited by john trumble; 24th November 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post MV Haparangi

Hi John,

Just read your message - I know it takes a lot longer as we get older! - But youv,e got it spot on all the dates and names.
    I clearly remember the Manchester episode, we went to a night club with your brother and a few friends, you also came to a party somewhere in Manchester with the Art students - Ann & I got engaged in 1968 and married in 1969 - I was going to return to the MN, especially after getting my Higher National but talked out of it and emmigrated to South Africa for 25 years.
    I have also retired but work part time in the Library when required, keeps the mind a bit more active.
    I have a book here somewhere with all the NZSCo ships and Officers, must try and find it, I remember some of the names - Mick Cardiff Chief Freezer, Mike Evans 5th Engieer- faces are easy but names are getting more difficult

Look after yourself and your family.

Your old shipmate,
    John T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haparangi/Rangitata

hello

My Father Graham Turk was an engineer sailed on the Haparangi from 1949 to 1950 before that he sailed on the Rangitata and before that on the MV Cheapsake. Sadly my father died very recently but I would love to hear from anyone who remembers him.

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default haparangi 1966

Hi John. Just been looking at some old photos, and came up with one of you sunbathing on deck, If i can find how to put a copy on hear i will. All the best John T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default haparangi 67

Hi Sedgy. If you coasted MV Haparangi around the UK early in 1967, i think the chief engineer would be, Big Jim Clarke, One of the best Doxford marine engineers about, But a bxxxxrd to work for, You would be better off working in the fride room, The chief fridge officer for deep sea was Mick Cardiff who would be on leave, I lived quite close to you in Leigh, But that was a long time ago, in the good old days, I enjoyed my time in New Plymouth, Wellingtom, Auckland, Napier, Bluff, Christchurch, Dunedin and up in the Bay of Islands, North of Auckland. But the best place of all was in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. Its good to remember the times we had over 40 years ago. All the best for now John T.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast