Thread: Indonesia final part

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Indonesia final part

Back to Semarang our second port ofcall where the passengers took tours to Borobodour.

Having visited Indonesia at this timeof year it was no surprize to us to see in every port, airport, Hotelfoyer, City square and public place signs saying, 'Merry ChristmasHappy New Year. Despite what many, particularly those of the PCbrigade may think these people actualy embrace the season. So whenyou hear them say, 'happy holiday we must not upset these people',tell them to go to Indonesia and see the truth.

With two of our party we decided totake a local trip having visited the temple of two other occasions.As it was a public holiday we decied on a visit to the local ChineseTemple. A very large temple on the outskirts of the town and popularwith all persons on the island no matter their religon.

A taxi ride of about 30 minutes was inorder and having established the fare we set forth. The driver wastypical of all such in Indonesia, 'where are you from, have you beenhere before, what do you do' etc. They are a friendly if at timesinquisitive race of people but there is something engaging about themand I get great pleasure in talking with them.

This driver was no different and afterthe usual questions began to tell us about his family. We driftedsomewhat in the conversation and soon were talking about the worldand the problems it holds. The following comments made me think,then, and at a later time that day. He told me, we are all the sameinside, yes we may look different, have different cultures andreligon, speak different language, eat different food, but when Ibleed, he said my, blood is the same color as yours.

I thought then of the gold fish bowlsyndrome. The gold fish in the bowl swims around and is happythinking this is all there is, whilst those on the outside say nothere is more.

We arrived at the temple and I paid himbidding him farewell and good luck, my mind at this time was a littleconfused by some of his comments.

The temple was busy, public holidays inIndonesia are always full on and this was no different. We all wentseperate ways agreeing to a meeting point and time.
    There are three main sections to thetemple and well worth exploring I knew.
    The first part I entered was a largeopen one with alter, Bhudda, Chinese Dragons and other items ofinterest.

Having lit an incence stick I began totake photos and was doing very well until a voice said, 'no photo,take off shoe'. I looked around to see a small round faced indignantChinaman staring at me.
    Sorry mate, no offence as I left thispart of the temple.
    On to the next section where I took offmy shoes and began to photograph. This time a younger local man said,'no photo, but good you have no shoes'.

Around the corner another part andoutside about 200 pairs of shoes. My first thought, a shoe shop, butno this is where you leave them before entering the temples.

There were many family groups in thetemple taking advantage of the public holiday, all the femaleswearing the scarf. This is common in Indonesia as in Malaysia, butthe Burqua, unless worn by a visitor, is never seen.
    Indonesia is an I slam Ic nation butunlike Iraq and many other middle eastern countries DOES NOT embraceSharia law. It has it's own Fudelistis laws based on humanity notJihad. They abhore violence and are a peacfull people who treatterrorists, and drug dealers, the way the west should. They are takento a small island just off Bali and there a small piece of lead isinjected into their heart.

I was approached by one of the ladieswho asked where I was from, when I said Oz she asked could she haveher photo taken with me? I had no objection and soon found her armaround my shoulder, her warm firm breast hard against my chest, whileher husband acted as photographer. Soon I was approached by anotherand another until six had their photo taken in this manner.

I sat for a while on one of the templesteps where one of the families joined me. Like all from Indonesiathey love to talk, about their lives, the country and many otherthings. As I listened I became aware that these people are nodifferent to you and I. They too have eaten in good restaurants,drunk fine wine and then sucked with whores.

They have the same dreams andasperations as others, all they wish for is a safe future for thefamily.
    The islands are some of the finestanywhere in the world, they are an industrious nationwho love to seethe tourists, love to barter with them and enjoy the country withthem. A country not well known in the northern hemisphere but onethat many more should visit. In doing so they may begin to realisethat not all of the faith are our enemy.

I left there with a betterunderstanding of Indonesia and it's people, and a little more of myself.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indonesia final part

Hi John
    Agree with all you have said,
    I also found myself being photographed constantly by them, in many family photos. felt like a celeb. They love to meet people from overseas.
    Cheers
    Brian

4. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

"They too have eaten in good restaurants,drunk fine wine and then........"
    Crikey John, never seen that coming

6. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish I was there now,
    we have a blizzard at the moment. all white with snow . makes the garden look nice.
    Cheers
    Brian

8. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Having lit an incence stick I began totake photos and was doing very well until a voice said, 'no photo,take off shoe'. I looked around to see a small round faced indignantChinaman staring at me.
    Must have thought you had someone else's shoes on John, as you've told us you never wear shoes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailing around all the Islands of Indonesia is absolutely fabulous. Lush green Islands, active volcanos and lovely people. On of the best trips I ever did as Mate was loading timber and plywood in the Philippines and Indonesia for discharge in Nantes and Antwerp.
    After loading Nickel Briskets and plywood in the Philippines at a couple of Ports on Mindanao we went to Ambon to pick up labour for loading limber and plywood at two islands in the Molucca Sea which were virtually uninhabited except for the logging crews there. The first Island had no harbour charts so we had to make our own chart for the small bay where we were anchored in, off from the sawmill, with the timber being brought out to us by barge and loaded using our cranes.
    The second island had a small (very) small port were we berthed alongside a plywood mill staffed mainly by female Balinese women. Going ashore into the small town we met very friendly locals who insisted that we try there foods cooked in stalls on the street. We also went across the bay to a beach on the other side of the bay to a beach where we had a Barbie and met members of the local tribe who lived there and who had only very limited contact with the natives in the small port. (We were told later that that tribe still practised long pig.
    After loading in those two islands it was back to Ambon to drop off the labour (who had been living and cooking on board). They left the ship absolutely spotless and although none of them spoke English we had some great times with them. They had brought their wives along with them to do the cooking and they were offering to do our dhobi. Our Filipino crew were able to talk and understand a small part of there language and this helped us a lot as we were able to offer the women (and men) washing and laundry facilities.
    After that it was off to Sulawesi to load nickel shot and then onto Sumatra and finally Singapore, loading more timber in all the ports.
    Going ashore in any of those Indonesian places you never felt threatened or ill at ease and were treated with curiosity and always the locals tried to talk with you.
    The one thing that surprised me when going ashore in Sulawesi was the amount of advertising signs for Guinness and Mackeson.
    All the timber packages were of different sizes, number of planks and also different lengths in each package which made for an interesting stow, especially the deck stow. It was all loaded using only ships cranes and physical labour, no fork lifts or any other machinery. To get the timber out into the wings underdeck in the hatches they were either just swung in off the crane or slid in using greasy poles slanted at an angle into the wings that the packages just slid down into position.
    Fantastic voyage, great scenery and an exercise in how to load using manual labour only in the main.
    rgds
    JA

11. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John and Brian, some of the most exoctic and beautiful islands any where. Sadly many who go only see the main tourist spots, I fell into that trap the first time we went there in 1990, but never again. Take a car and drive, see the real Indonesia and people, then like me you will become hooked on the place.
    There are places to be seen that the average tourist will never get to and they are some of the most unspoiled places on earth.
    I would say to all of you, if you ever get the chance go and see, beautiful country, beautiful people who will do you good long before they would even think of doing you harm.
    As I have said, no different to you and I but as they are of that faith misunderstood by so many.

Marion, sorry if that line caught you a little unawares, but I was just showing the point that they are, under the façade of skin, no different to you and I.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 13th January 2017 at 04:38 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#7, "line caught you a little unawares"

No worries at all John My tea spray wiped off quite the thing

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

Omiss of me to add, a most informative post on your travels as always John, almost felt I'd been there too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    Omiss of me to add, a most informative post on your travels as always John, almost felt I'd been there too.
    Marion, if you ever get the chance then go, I promise you will not be disappointed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post