Thread: Canal Cruise

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canal Cruise

Have arrived home over the weekend after completing a cruise of the Caledonian Canal from Inverness to Fort William and back to Inverness. I can honestly say it was one of the best holidays I have ever had. There were 10 of us on two boats, a 6 berth and a 4 berth and we booked them through a company called Caley Cruises whome I would highly recommend. We had the 4 berth cruiser which was brand new for this season and consisted of 2 double en suite bedrooms complete with flat screen TV, a complete galley which worked very well, a lounge area and topside the bridge cabin. Everything was provided so all we had to supply was the food and booze. Top speed of the boats is 10 knots but this can only be done when cruising across Loch Ness.On the canals max speed is 5 knots. I must admit getting the hang of the mooring ropes and tying up and letting go took a bit of getting used to as well as going through the lockgates but after a couple of days it all fell into place. The scenery going through the Canal can only be described as stunning. A truly great holiday just wish it could have been longer.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Canal Cruise

Canal cruising must be one of the best ways to see not only the British countryside but also its industrial heritage. Chugging along at 5 mph gives you the opportunity to really view the U.K. and some of the features of the canal system are truly amazing. Think of the Anderton lift, the flight off locks on the Liverpool to Leeds canal or the aqueduct on the Langollen canal, plus the fact that every night you can just tie up outside a canal side pub, what better way to explore the U.K.
    rgds
    JA

3. Thanks John Callon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Canal Cruise

That looks pretty good to me. In the mid 70s I drove my family along that stretch and well remember having a picnic lunch on a hill under a rowan tree looking out upon Loch Ness before heading home South to Perthshire.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

5. Likes Braid Anderson, cappy, N/A, John Callon liked this post