Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lost

#20 Aye they may wish to retire there from what they see on the telly, but the tv programmes seem to forget mentioning the constant stench that continually pervades the air and I've done East and West coasts as well as central India on business in some minute places and where ever you are it follows you around

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi peter f chard
    very interesting article, but some people would see it as abuse and others would see it as culture. so you would have the left wing feminists screaming that it was intolerable whilst the left wing liberals would cry that it was their culture and one mustn't seek to interfere with it.
    I myself believe that they as a people must advance and evolve at their own pace as we know that the change and advancement they have will impact on our own standard of life and living, ie if wages go up in india exports also go up and therefore the west pays more its a simple analogy but true,( every action has a reaction.)
    tom
    tom
    left wing??? sounds more like the ugly face of capitalism to me

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    left wing??? sounds more like the ugly face of capitalism to me
    I hear so many people complaining about working conditions and wages in countries such as Pakistan, India et al etc, but having lived in Pakistan for a number of years, spent months in India at a time, been in the worst part of both those countries, what is the do-gooders solution, take away what little money they can earn so that they will starve, yes it may be capitalism, but take that away and thousands will be left to die at the roadside and there will be many more body carts going around the streets at 0500 hours collecting the dead bodies, but there may be that many that they will be just left to rot. There may be a solution somehow somewhere, but taking their work away is not the solution no matter how poorly paid by our standards. I doubt very much that there is no one amongst the complainers/do gooders who has not worn some kind of garment made in India, Pakistan or some other 3rd world country, although neither India or Pakistan is really a 3rd world country, both having space programmes, large militaries, India having the second largest military force in the world. We can all say it is morally wrong whilst wearing/using the goods from the fruits of their cheap labour, but I would call that sanctimonious, just my view, but based on first hand experience.

You know Lewis there is no necessity for bold print because we are all able to understand a point being made, in the context of your sentence its akin to shouting, but I wish you good night as this old man is going to get ready to go dancing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the Ltd time I have spent east of Suez I think there is a different attitude to the value of life itself and until the Westenra understands that I don't think will ever understand the people who live in Asia

And I buy t-shirts and shoes made in Pakistan because they're cheap and that's what I can afford and if they're made by conditions was akin to slave labour then I satisfied my conscience by saying at least that little bit of money stops and from starving not a great moral ground to stand on but I'll have to put up with it . I somehow don't think I would describe it just capitalism . I almost think feudalism would be a better system name
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I hear so many people complaining about working conditions and wages in countries such as Pakistan, India et al etc, but having lived in Pakistan for a number of years, spent months in India at a time, been in the worst part of both those countries, what is the do-gooders solution, take away what little money they can earn so that they will starve, yes it may be capitalism, but take that away and thousands will be left to die at the roadside and there will be many more body carts going around the streets at 0500 hours collecting the dead bodies, but there may be that many that they will be just left to rot. There may be a solution somehow somewhere, but taking their work away is not the solution no matter how poorly paid by our standards. I doubt very much that there is no one amongst the complainers/do gooders who has not worn some kind of garment made in India, Pakistan or some other 3rd world country, although neither India or Pakistan is really a 3rd world country, both having space programmes, large militaries, India having the second largest military force in the world. We can all say it is morally wrong whilst wearing/using the goods from the fruits of their cheap labour, but I would call that sanctimonious, just my view, but based on first hand experience.

You know Lewis there is no necessity for bold print because we are all able to understand a point being made, in the context of your sentence its akin to shouting, but I wish you good night as this old man is going to get ready to go dancing
    Get over yourself Ivan called it what it was , oh and SHOUTING IS CAPS, bold print is high lighting ones point as in Capitalism. and just think if we did not buy the cheap garments shoes etc!!! they would be a dam sight worse off. I wonder though how many of the sweat shops are actually owned by western business men/women.

Marian Gra Guest

#26, Stand to be corrected here Lewis but I doubt the Indian Government would encourage non Indians to own ''sweat shop''companies there. Think the onus is very much on exporting to the West and to bring money into the economy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for 3 years for Chowgule Steamships Bahamas. Chowgule himself a Goanese Indian lived in Switzerland to the best of my knowledge. He used to employ chinese crew on his Bahama registered ships and Indian crew on his large fleet of Indian flag ships. It was much against his wishes that he changed from Chinese to Indian on the ships I was on. The only reason being they were jumping ship in the States and was costing too much re fines etc. As regards the 3 European officers his Bahamas ships carried Master Mate and Chief engineer, think after I left he was forced by the Indian Banks I was told to employ Indians the excuse being that currency was leaving the country. The real uppercrust Indians. are no different than their counterparts of other countries, business is business, the rest is bulls###, The Europeans were only there to train his Indian officers was the way I saw it. To shore people and people who don’t understand the caste system just think of Britain during the peasants and kings era. Is about the closest you can get to describe. It’s their country and the way they live , let them get on with it without all the foreign aid they receive, time they grew up. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd February 2018 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Get over yourself Ivan called it what it was , oh and SHOUTING IS CAPS, bold print is high lighting ones point as in Capitalism. and just think if we did not buy the cheap garments shoes etc!!! they would be a dam sight worse off. I wonder though how many of the sweat shops are actually owned by western business men/women.
    With all due respect Lewis you are so wrapped up in your own view, you miss the point, what the hell does it matter who owns the so called sweat shops, you can bet your bottom dollar that most of those operating in Pakistan are owned by the Chinese who are buying up Pakistani businesses and ports at a great rate

And for you to rant on about capitalism is a bit rich coming from someone living in France whilst renting out a property in the UK, but I will bow to your apparent superior knowledge about somewhere you have never lived (as far as I am aware) but where I have. You can have the last word, I know you like to, that's all from me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Played soccer in Goa, all right when we started but by half time it wasn't eleven a side it was eleven against around about thirty, one thing we weren't kicked to death none of our adversary's had boots.
    As an aside for John F I wish I had tried to join the Guides.
    Cheers Des .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope you played fair and square Des and didn't stand on the oppositions toes. That's the place when in my teens walked past an untouchable very young girl giving birth to a baby in the gutter, everyone just walked past her and I did as well, still have a bad conscience over it. cheers jS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th February 2018 at 02:57 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast