Thread: Personal Story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Personal Story

Last Time on Virtual Ship :- More to come soon on English Channel multiple collisions of the 70’s,my sister Marlene ,and obscure tenuous connections to fish net stockings and shiny black cigarette holders,.....and the Village People.

So ……..

I had only been at sea proper about 18 months when the English Channel in Jan and Feb 1971 resounded to the crashes ,bangs and explosions of some serious steelware seeking out each other in the heavily congested English Channel, rather akin to a multi vehicle pile-up on the M1.To refresh overloaded minds,mine and yours, I will cut and paste from an article I compiled many years ago.

On 11 January 1971, the Panamanian tanker the Texaco Caribbean was on a ballast voyage from the Netherlands to Trinidad when she was struck by the 12,000-tonne Peruvian freighter the Paracas in thick fog. The latter ignored the shipping lanes of Dover Straits and took the shorter way along the English coast. The Texaco Caribbean exploded, split in two and sank, releasing 600 tonnes of bunker and ballast. 8 sailors (Italian)lost their lives in the incident and 22 were rescued.

The Paracas(Peruvian) was sailing from Peru to Hamburg with a cargo of fishmeal and fishoil. She was also seriously damaged in the incident. The salvage tug the Heros towed her to Hamburg where they arrived on 14 January.

The British coastal authorities placed 3 vertical green lights on site to warn other ships of the presence of the wreck.(Trinity House v/l SIREN was stationed nearby) However, the following day the West German freighter Brandenburg hit the Texaco Caribbean and sank a few minutes later. Lifeboats did not have the time to arrive. Only 11 out of 32 crew members were rescued by local fishing boats. The bodies of 7 crew members were found and 14 remained missing.(21 lost)

A light ship and 5 light buoys were added on site but on 27 February, the Greek vessel Niki, sailing from Dunkirk to Alexandria, ignored the warnings and collided with the submerged wrecks. The tanker the Hebris was in the area at the same time. The crew saw the Niki sinking and sent radio messages. The Hebris came closer as people were seen at sea but when she arrived on site there was nobody left. The Nikki went down with her entire crew.(22)

The 3 wrecks represented a serious hazard for passing ships. A second lightship and about 10 more buoys were added. However within 2 months, British coastal authorities reported 16 ships for having ignored the lightships and buoys. Luckily, there were no further incidents.

The company Risdon Beazley Ulrich Harms Ltd from Southampton was contacted to remove the wrecks of the Texaco Caribbean, the Brandenburg and the Nikki. The operation lasted 18 months. During that time the area was signalled by 2 lightships and 14 lighted buoys.
    Many lawsuits were served,some against TRINITY HOUSE for positioning markers in the wrong place,some on behalf of the owners of THE BRANDENBURG and the families of dead crew members against Texaco for refusing help from tug/wreck search company SMIT TAK to properly locate and accurately mark the wreck of the TEXACO CARIBBEAN and against Trinity House for mooring their marker ship SIREN in the wrong place to warn of dangers.
    Lawsuits were held in the UK and NEW YORK and DELAWARE USA.Some I understand were never settled and are still disputed till this day.... PLEASE NOTE,,since writing this article i,ve read in the Dover express-17/12/2009,a report by Terry Sutton.. "the series of tragedies that gave the name of Death Alley to the Dover Strait 38 years ago is to be featured in a television programme which was filmed in the area earlier this month".The safety-at-sea programme has been filmed by the BBC. There is no date as to when it will be broadcast but I'm trying to find out and I,'ll let you all know if I get any info.

A sobering total of 51 lives were lost.It was instrumental in hastening the introduction of Traffic Separation Schemes in the Dover Strait and other key locations in the English Channel.

I suppose my parents and siblings were understandably concerned that their eldest boy was in a dangerous profession,not helped by the shocking inferno tragedy of the Royston Grange in the River Plate 12 months later in May 1972.
    They were probably rather biased anyway,as they were almost all ex or current at that time members of the police force,and I had chosen to go to sea. Even today I can currently count six serving members of my family who are boys or girls in blue of various forces around the country.Even the youngest grand niece (5) already has the no-nonsense determined attitude of a future Cressida Dick.

So to my sister Marlene.Always a bit of a wide-eyed soul she asked me one evening why on earth ships like those,in the English Channel could collide and sink,when there was plenty of deep water,she thinking,like many a landlubber I suspect who often thought that the water depth dropped vertically from the White Cliffs and maintained that depth unobstructed right across to the other side,until it rose up to the coast at Cap Gris Nez.

Similarly,jumping ahead to 1977 now she suddenly turned on me one evening after she’d probably had half a glass of Babycham asking me if I was gay.Rather taken aback as I was ,she explained to me that she thought I was gay because I had grown quite a bushy moustache.Apparently she had seen a documentary featuring a new male group called the Village People ,many in somehow butchy but camp outfits and most of them wore ‘taches.(In actual fact only one of them was actually gay,and this might surprise you,it wasn’t the camp tight-jeaned construction worker,the mincing New York cop,or the black-leather butch/camp guy wearing black leather SS cap and chaps,the kind you see in every Mardi Gras Gay Pride parade.)No surprisingly ,the only gay one was the Red Indian Chief,who might just have been influenced by the Lone Rangers kimo sabi Tonto I strongly.suspect
    Anyway,I told Sis I’d always had a tache,even if it was rather invisible for many years,a phenomenon known as bum fluff ,or for those who are easily offended (and there are many amongst us) bottom fluff..Nay,I’m sure I’d been born with a ‘tache ,which no doubt tickled my mother…
    Marlene never mentioned it again,though occasionally I’m sure I heard her humming “♫ In the Navy “or ♫ “Y-M-C-A” under her breath whenever I had upset her.
    I do think Marlene disliked her name.It’s not at all fashionable these days,but is very much a name of it’s time,in this case Second World War or just after,when many a proud mum and dad of a new daughter were so taken by a singing,acting,fish net- black stockinged German lady surnamed Dietrich ( “♫Fall-ing in Love Again,I Ne-ver vanted to…♫,with a 60 a day Gauloise voice holding a sleek black cigarette holder ,that they named their precious new baby girl Marlene. My sister tried to make it sound more modern over the years.At one period she tried to make us call her Marlena,very continental.Then in the late fifties she wanted to change it to Marilyn,after,you guessed it,Mazza Monroe.Realising later that her chest didn’t quite measure up to the real Marilyn’s monumental mountainous mammaries she soon dropped that idea.However,and she hated this,,because when I’m being a tease when I see her I’ll call her Miggy! Some of you may remember the Gambols strip cartoon in the Daily Express.Created by Barry Appleby and running for about 50 years it told the story of middle-class couple George and Gaye Gambol.Occasionally their niece and nephew came to stay with them,Miggy and Flivver. Yes,Dad called my sister Miggy,and you’ve guessed it I was Flivver.Those names endured for years until our parents passed on……but my big sis is still Miggy to me.And I’m Gulliver now,not Flivver.

So back to chart correcting.Dam,just dropped a faggott on the Esso Road Map of the Channel,and it’s almost obliterated the Isle of Wight.Oh well that’s another area we’ll have to avoid…..sorry,kt (Mr.Tindell) you’ll not be able to do a pier head jump from IOW any more so try and make it to Pompey ,-and bring a large-scale chart with you please,Keith,.We might have made it in,but that’s certainly no guarantee we’ll make it out !

Happy Days John,our legal officer,who also illegally (what a paradox) moonlights as a tourist winger on Antipodean cruise ships,,he gets loads of tips,-very popular is John- has decreed our black puddings will have to be listed on the manifest now as IC2 puddings,but I think that he really means IC3 puddings having just studied the police ethnicity classification list. Also in future ,any reference to Mr.Kipling cakes will have to include the following disclaimer :- “Other brands of miniscule,over-packaged,over-priced tasteless little fancy cakes are available “.
    Our Den is understandably furious that those cakes are even allowed anyway.He’s quite right of course and in future we’ll save a bit of money on the stores,but not maybe our teeth, by only eating his tabnabs. Remember Den,wherever you keep them,always keep ‘yer tabnabs high and dry’.

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 10th November 2017 at 10:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    1969-1990
    R878267

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Virtual Ship

Gully some posts back I mentioned about a USN captain who lost one of his steel balls and took up being a mind doctor. His name suddenly came to me the other day as they made a movie about him and it was Captain Queeg, think Iíve got it right. Pleased to see your mam and dad worried about you. Mine did as well as I realized later, my dad when trying to tell me about bad ladies of the night and of course of the day, could have explained a lot clearer. If he had said you have had chicken pox and know what that is, now there is another pox that humans carry around that is called just pox. He could then have gone on to say your blue Peter which you have in the winter will cease to be blue and turn green. I could of then been warned to keep away from people who shouted at me - a pox on you. However is no need to worry these days as rarely say hello to blue Peter that is. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th November 2017 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###an interesting and humerous post davey ......a good laugh to start of the day and a fair comment on the channel passage and the outcomes ......perhaps like one other day this week we will see some harmony on the site for a while ,,,,such a change from the sonnets of two of our members courting each other with little letters of i suppose sweetness and little giggles to each other at around midnightlast night .....could i suggest on our virtual vessel we put them in a cabin together ...preferably over the steerng flat so there little sqeeks of delight will not disturb the watch below....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Virtual Ship

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Gully some posts back I mentioned about a USN captain who lost one of his steel balls and took up being a mind doctor. His name suddenly came to me the other day as they made a movie about him and it was Captain Queeg, think Iíve got it right. Cheers JWS.
    John,I really should get out more,that one must have passed over my head much as those steel balls did in maritime warfare all those years ago.
    I do remember Lord Kelvin's Balls,not personally you understand, but they were part of the standard compass .Someone here,or might have been on another site told a story back in the mists of time when whilst serving aboard a rusty old foreign flag freighter he was taking a magnetic bearing up on the monkey island when one of the Kelvin's balls detached itself from the corroded side of the compass binnacle structure and it landed on his foot. I don't recall mention of whether it was the red or green one but they must have been rustcoated anyway.Moral is Never allow your balls to go rusty,or sign on aboard rusty old Panamanian freighters.

Adieu
    [SIGPIC]
    1969-1990
    R878267

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t think if it was a foreign ship the colour would have made much difference anyway, the person taking the bearing was probably colour blind anyway and more than likely pissed to boot. It wasn’t me for sure as wouldn’t have gone on the monkey island and put my blue Peter in danger. Cheers JS. PS Lord Kelvins Balls used to sit at both sides of Flinders Bar on well run ships.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th November 2017 at 10:14 AM.

6. Thanks Gulliver thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, it would be such a waste to put them there, the squeak helps some of the lads to sleep.
    May I suggest e re-introduce the 'plank' for walking.
    But it would have to be done in a manner that would not wake the crew, no splash just slide them in.
    But then again, I thought about it, the sharks, would they damage their teeth on such tough crap which has very little substantial value and indeed may in fact contaminate the waters.

Leg irons maybe, but then Mary may get upset as there ae none on board that would fit her, you know how much she likes a fettish!
    But we could bring back the Welsh cauldron, boil the badness out of them??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, No soft options on the Virtual ship....... ''Man overboard'' end of.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th November 2017 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    1526, John, No soft options on this ship....... ''Man overboard'' end of.
    ##virtually marion of course.....lol.......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ##virtually of course.....lol.......cappy
    Regretfully!

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)