Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ten Pound Pom.

May 2014 15:54:22 +1000

Matros.
    By
    Evan Lewis.
    For myself like, so many others who settled ‘Out here in Oz’, the desire to go back for a visit was always there. As in the words of that very well known song of Wales, ‘We’ll keep a Welcome’. The Welsh word HIRAETH sums it all up. The meaning, a Longing-Desire etc.
    Being at Sea most of my working life previously, to migrate intentionally was not a difficult decision.
    On arriving in Melbourne, I gained a job on the wharves. Still working with ships, though able to return home every night, happily in the process meeting and working with some former shipmates. I again met up with former ships Masters, and all the way along to a former Linen keeper. So we were able to “speak our own language, (as it were)”. Thus reducing the aforementioned HIRAETH.
    Sometime later, around a couple of years later, one Saturday morning, my gang and I (wharfies) were then with United Stevedoring Company. This company was formed by a well known British Sea Captain, who also was Head of the Australian leading Salvage Work Company. He was The Expert to be consulted for tricky Salvage jobs.
    BACK TO STORY
    We were at, I think, 27th South Wharf. Just before knocking-off time, a Swedish ship was tying up at a vacant berth. I had mentioned a week or two earlier, to the other members, that, being unable to afford a UK fare, I would most certainly have a better chance to work a ship home, subject to Company approval. Most of our bosses, Supervisors etc were ex UK Deck Officers. They were very understanding as I pointed out, it may be a hurried decision, should a job come up. The decision was duly agreed to.

In the couple of weeks previous to this Saturday morning at South Wharf, I’d made a few enquiries re. the procedure. This was to find the particular Agent for a particular ship. I subsequently went to one or two Agents offices. A few offers were made, though none were on a straight forward clear destination. Such as one Norwegian ship, “She’s going to the States first, and most probably to Europe from there. None of which would have enabled me to tell my employers a reasonable return to work date.

Back to South wharf, re. the Swedish ship. I said to the fellows, "She’ll do me" having ascertained she would be loading some cargo to Sweden.
    Next day, Sunday, I walked aboard, asked for the Chief Officer and was directed to his cabin. (My timing was atrocious. I should have known better) It was about 1.15pm. In answer to my knock, I was confronted by a bleary-eyed not too happy individual. JA? He said. I was wondering if you have a vacancy CHIEF, for an AB. He looked, still a little angry and said, “I’m just having a rest after my Sunday lunch. JA? We want an AB, but I believe we have one coming up from Sydney. Anyway give me your phone number." OK Chief, says I, Thanks.
    A week or so earlier, having in anticipation relinquished my flat at Elwood, I was able to share the one above, courtesy of my London Mate, Tommy. (A Dunkirk veteran B.E.F) So everything was falling in to place. Thanks to everyone.

Next day Monday, I was relaxing in the flat. About 1pm, being due to leave for a 3.30pm start at Victoria Dock. The phone rang. I picked it up, then this voice says “You Evan Lewis?” Yes I said, wonderingly. You still vant the job? I realised then whom the caller was. I answered yes. “Vell the Radio Officer is going up now, to the Consul in the Offices in Flinders Street. We sail at 4pm”.
    Panic stations then! My suit was at the dry cleaners in Elsternwick. I immediately had to ring work, inform them of the situation. Their response was very positive. “ Take three months”, then let us know when you’re ready to come back.
    Ring a few others to let them know. “Keep an eye on the car, parked in the street outside, for me. OK?” Rang my current Lady Friend. That night we were to have a bet on a dog, running that evening at Olympic Park. It belonged to her office mate and her husband. It was to have raced the previous week though was scratched, and had been ‘highly recommended’ for that night, so was a topic of interest to us.
    into Car to Dry Cleaners, Suit. (2) Find where to park near Consul. (3) Then headed for the City, 15/20 mins drive. (4) Found the Offices, then the appropriate room. Met the R.O. signed articles. (5) Back to Elwood. Secure car. (6)Throw appropriate gear, including suit into a case. Ring taxi, 15 minutes to South wharf, up gangway, about 3.40pm. Ship to sail at 4pm. Once on Board, was directed to F'wd. accommodation. Then was informed sailing time had been changed to 7pm. Once in the Cabin, got into working gear. Within minutes, 2nd Mate arrived. He asked, new Matros? I answered Yes!

"I haff a yob. Pallet of Sand at Mast house. .Please stow inside. Iwalked down to Mast house expecting to see half dozen or so sand bags. I mean, cargo ship, shouldn't be much holystoning on there. Wrong! more like sixty plus awaited me. That would have been a four man job on the wharf handling full pallets. Got "Stuck in" to it and completed the task. Not long after that "Stations" were called. Gangway in, then Fore & Aft.

After Stations, I made for the Cabin. Break at last. She was heading downriver. First thing, I activated my Trannie' tuned in to the T.A.B. caught about the last 20 sec, of the greyhoundsrace, re. the aforementioned doggie! It had surged ahead, and won at about nines. Didn't have a cracker on it!
    We were bound for Adelaide to discharge the remaining cargo. The Ship, "Goonawarra" Swedish - Atlantic Co. Had for some time, been plying from the U.S.A. to OZ. with General Cargo, Apart from loading a few hundred tonnes of steel from Port Pirie. We were then to go to Beauty Point, and Hobart, loading full cargo of Apples for Rotterdam and Stockholm.
    Each hatch had a number of ‘tween deck fridge lockers. Which for the past year or so had carried general cargo. Consequently that meant each locker had to be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and whitewashed as required. In addition, large heavy gratings had to be removed, scrubbed and replaced. What a Work-Up! I sureenvied the big Swede Chippie who handled these big gratings with apparent ease.
    The Deck Crew consisted of a Norwegian Bos’n, He'd returned to sea after a stint of Ski instructing in the Victorian Alps. Chippie had been up in Mackay for some three years. Of the others I can recall, a Dane, two or three Germans and a few more Swedes. Between them, they'd spent various periods in the States, S. America etc. I learned then, one could pay-off at any Port thathad a Swedish Consulate.
    Some had not seen the Baltic for years, and even just prior to arriving in Rotterdam, some were discussing about a few of them, "Going down to Spain", for a few months. My Cabin -mate John/was not surprsied ,as had been previously with Scandi Crews

Regarding communication, most of the important orders were given in English, including, nautical terms, for Blocks, Tackles, shackles etc. One of the German members told me, it being part of their training.

The Swedish no. 6 is pronounced sex. I had more than once, whilst chatting in the Messroom, got blank uncomprehending looks. After enquiring, "If six is sex, what is sex?" never did get the answer to that one.

Beauty Point. First day there, a Sunday morning, As is our want, asked the Wharfie's, where is the nearest Pub? We were told, ‘none open Sundays’ The Barrel is on in So and So's Paddock, at the end of some street, then over the third style. $5 entry. Off we trooped, with purpose.

Small World! A chap approached our Group. "Did we know where the Barrel was on?" We then recognised each other. We had often driven the Winches, (Yard and Stay) to-gether. He was on Transfer to Tassie . Confidently, I was able to tell him "One more Style to go”.
    Part 3

Whilst at Port Pirie we'd found a happy little Pub, not too far up from the Berth. The most popular song at that time, playing on its Juke Box was "Knock three times on the Ceiling if you want me!'' Was never able to comply myself, as was never invited home. Sad!
    Previous to arriving in Hobart, I had always believed we British Seamen had the most appeal. As my early voyages, after the VINDI, took me to still badly War ravaged Italian Ports, I found that there were many American ships and personnel owing to the MARSHALL Plan being in place, this helped to disillusion me very swiftly.

The Banter of the older Seamen, (which I took as Gospel) went something like this. In regard to our low wages, Quote! "The Italian girls complain.
    They say, Americano plenty money! No much jiggy -jig. Briton, No money, too much jiggy – jig”. So consequently I thought we were top of the Shop in, the '' Pulling the Birds'' caper. Wrong!,

On tying up at Hobart, there awaiting our arrival were three Port Pirie (friends) of our Swedish shipmates. “Never Got Lucky" over there myself. I didn't have any relatives ashore. in Tassie !Only joking! You Tassie's though, on the other hand, must admit, your Map is very interesting. Boom! Boom!

Shortly before stations, leaving Hobart, a very harassed young fellow, arrived at the Cabin door. Disclosed he'd just arrived from the Airport, and had to 'get his working gear on’. Later, it turned out, He'd just arrived from Sydney, and was the new O.S. Great a Cabin mate! His history being, Hometown ‘Tamworth, N.S.W’. He had relatives, in Welsh Wales, and at about 15yrs of age. He 'had been Deck Boy & J.O.S. on Norwegian ships, from the U.K.
    He was later enlisted in the OZ Army for Viet-Nam. Collected a bullet wound, as a memento. A couple of days at Beauty Point, then round to Hobart, 4-5 days there completing the loading of apples.
    Once away from the Tasmanian Coast. She was on the Iron–Mike, and so the majority of us were then on Day work. Our next destination being Durban, South Africa, for Bunkers and fresh stores

The weather all the way across the Indian Ocean was glorious. Most of my work entailed going aloft with my trusty mate, John, the S.O.S. on the winch below. I would lash the messenger to the appropriate position on the block, while John would have wound the other end round the winch drum. Once the weight was taken the heavy shackle-pin could then be removed and the block and contents, would then be lowered to the deck where it would be overhauled, greased etc. then eventually replaced.

This task continued, for some time after Durban and in to part of the South Atlantic. The weather being very favourable during the whole voyage. So, by arrival time at Rotterdam, we were all very fit and tanned, which may have added to our attraction, which led to a favourable distraction. Or as the expression goes, “ I Got lucky” may apply.

At Durban, on a Sunday, we were tied up close to the old Union Castle Line Berths. So I knew the area fairly well. Having done some eight voyages between the Capetown and Winchester Castles, plus one on the Braemar Castle. The ship took on bunkers and stores. We were there for about eight hrs. So couldn't venture too far. After Durban, we sailed West, most probably, and encountered the usual heavy rollers, off Cape Aghuilas. Rounded the Cape of Good Hope, thence on a northerly course, heading towards Europe. Again very nice and sunny weather all the way.
    Easter came and went. The Cooks really "Pushed the boat out". The Swedish celebrate Easter as if it were Xmas. For the whole weekend, the Mess-room fare was a delight. Also liberal bottles of their native drink on the tables, also, a couple of cases of Beer. (Hadn't encountered such a good spread since perhaps Xmas & New Year aboard the" Denholm's of Glasgow" ore-Carrier Ormsary, On a forbidding trip to Russia, via the Black Sea).

Prior to approaching the Ushant Light, Watches were resumed. I was on the 12-4. Sometime after Midnight I was "on the wheel". It was a clear still night with the 2nd Mate taking bearings etc. The only other sound being the soft crackling of the radio from the Chartroom. When suddenly the radio Boomed, "Celtic Ferry, Celtic Ferry calling Antwerp Pilot, Repeat! Celtic Ferry, calling Antwerp Pilot”. I couldn't believe it! As though in a dream I said to myself "I’m Home" That being my ship for the last five or six weeks whilst waiting, (as a ten Pound Pom), to join the Fairstar at Southampton late in January. I 'decided, on acceptance. To then join a Coaster, to keep handy and earn a few Shekels in the meantime.
    I must say, she was a good job, though we earned our money all right. Every 2nd evening, Felixstowe to Antwerp. Heavy Lorries, (Drivers had accommodation aboard.) Bren-gun carriers etc for the Army. All to be securely lashed down. Stations! Let Go. Do your stint at the Wheel. Sometimes able to grab a bit of sleep. Many hours on Stand By, in the bitter cold, in the L ocks ‘til arriving at the appropriate berth. Return that evening to Felixstowe. Same performance. For all that, she was still a good job. As they were quite liberal in allowing us ashore as much as possible. We had one A.B. married to a Belgian Girl. He told us one trip, We'd tied up fairly early, about 3.a.m. "Who's coming for a Beer? You’re joking! No says He, they celebrate New Year night and day for about three weeks. " He was spot on”. The Café-Bar was as lively as Southend's pubs on an Easter Monday. Knees-Up etc. But that's another story.
    Coming off-watch that morning in the English Channel, after hearing the Celtic Ferry's Radio, the urge to "Get Home", was increased. So after breakfast, I went along to see the Mate. "Be alright if I Pay-off at Rotterdam Chief?” His reply, "I thought you would be with us till Stockholm, but O.K. " Having only the one case, and not much gear to pack, I was soon Ready to roll.
    The arrangement,was . once in Port, I was given an amount to travel with. The remainder to be collected at the Company Office in Leadenhall Street .Later that day. I took the train to the Hook of Holland. The Harwich ferry was leaving about 9pm. I joined a long table with an aisle seat in the crowded Bar area. My

table and as it turned out, the majority of the others too, being occupied by (Students)? of many different nationalities. Brazilian, S.African, etc. etc. They had been studying in communist E. Germany. We were holding forth, (between sips of the Dutch lager) on the merits of their newly acquired knowledge and How they could, "put it to good use “ on return to the Homeland. Dogmatic in their utterances! I, On the other hand, having 'Been round a few corners myself' including to Russia, and various other communist countries, was not too impressed. Consequently, our nearer neighbours began taking an interest.
    Sitting almost opposite, also in the aisle seat, was a young lady. I would pass her on the visits to the Bar, and when seated, were in eye contact. Eventually She became involved in our tables discourse, supporting and agreeing with my views. Eventually the subject of discussion was dropped. Turned out, she had lived a little while in Croydon, a Melbourne suburb before returning to Holland. Now she was having a few days in London, before flying out to Phoenix Uni in Arizona, USA on a Systems Analyst course.

By now the Bar area was being cleared, almost everyone had gone. Some had Cabins, others going to quieter areas to Doss Down. The Crew were making the appropriate moves ready to Wash-Down. My newly found Dutch friend, Bless her, kindly invited me to "Share her Sleeping Bag", as space generally elsewhere, was fairly limited. Naturally, I acquiesced.
    My next recollection was a lot of noise and activity. Our immediate area was filling up with passengers anxious to disembark at Harwich. We had only dossed down on the outboard side of the

dis-embarkation deck hadn't we? Could have been worse. Could have been t'other side, and been trampled to death in the rush.
    Having become aware of the situation, before the Doors were opened, I recall standing up, and being the object of much hushed comment and stares. This was possibly because a certain Zip had not been activated most likely. I only realised that, when feeling the Draught of a cold English morning breeze through the now open doors. Brrrrr. !

With my new found friend and companion, we made for the Bar at the old Railway Quay, our first port of call,
    (Primarily to fulfil the obligations to my British friends, in Melbourne. Namely, "Have a Pint for me Taff, when you get Home".) On arrival in London. Find Some Accomodation. The‘Load of Hay’ outside Paddington Station, or ‘The Three Tuns’ in Aldgate were the best bets. These names were bandied round the local clubs, and heard of most often. When the supporters returned from the Bi-Annual trip to the Wales-England Rugby matches at Twickenham,
    It was no contest. Aldgate won hands down, especially being minutes only to the Pay off Kroner, amount .in Pounds, Waiting at the Company Office in Leadenhall St. Which comfortably enabled my return Ticket to Oz.
    So, after three days or so, came the parting of the ways. My companion for Heath Row and Phoenix. Yours truly to Paddington then to Bridgend, and the inevitable white lie in answer to, "What Kept You in London then?” “The London Office, took their time," or words to that effect, sufficed.

In front of me now was a couple or so Summer months of leisure at home, just Mam and I. Relatives and friends, in the area, All "The Boys" by , my Mates were now married. Consequently I found I had a lot of time on my own. They still had the traditional Fri. night-out though. Couple car-loads ,Drop the Wives at one Home, Then over the Bwllch Mountain, down in to the Rhondda Valley, Ton Pentre, the Legion Hall. Colloquially known as ‘The Shack’, A great venue . The dance floor would be crowded as the night progressed. The pints of ale flowed freely. There were perhaps five or six of us in a round of drinks. We had one fairly new member of the Group, He is married to the sister of one of ‘The Boys’. (Usually the last .to call his round.) in the hope wewould all be played-out by the time it came to His turn. As they say in OZ, " We was well awake to him". In later years, I was reminded of the fact, when reminiscing with some of the ‘NOW’ boys of those Days, Such as…………….
    “Hey! Do you remember the time you told Graham to get his hands out of his Pockets? \'We had to laugh," etc. etc. Course there was the odd time too, when some or other of us would have to wait for the Driver, I had now bought an old car, and that eased the boredom of hanging round for company mid-week. One day, with a Nephew, We were driving round Barry Island, There was the new Butlins Holiday Camp. Nearby was a large sign, Staff Wanted. I turned to the nephew and said, "That'll do me,John!
    I then went in to the Office and enquired about a job. , They were looking for hands for all jobs. I filled in the appropriate forms.
    Lurking near the Office was the Security Sergeant. He asked me if I'd be interested in joining them. I did think to meself, well, why not, thought . If you can't beat them, join them, as it were. Next day, saw me allocated a Chalet, with two others. Fitted out with Peaked-cap, Blue jacket, Gold shoulder patches, Shirt, tie and trousers, plus £8 weekly, and Meals. Eight quid weekly and meals.

The Camp was situated almost across the road from the popular Barry Island Fairground. Leading from the Entrance Gates, one could look directly down some 500 or so yards, towards a cluster of, Shops, Pubs etc. They sold everything there that the holidaymakers required. All the Seaside Holiday paraphernalia and slogans. Such as "Kiss-me quick, I'm coming," followed by the inevitable "Kiss My Ass, I'm Going."

My first night on Duty, the only entrants were a mixed group of Staff members, returning from the Pub.
    (The first Campers of the Season were to arrive the next day). Some ten minutes or so later, one or two of them came running back to the Gates blurting out, one of their number had collapsed into the Swimming pool. I "Hit the Toe" to the pool. We got him to the side of the Pool, and here was a chance to try out my resuscitation technique, as learned in classes "On the Wharf." Not a very pleasant kiss to be honest, it was particularly Beery and very sloppy. We were soon joined by a Nursing Sister from the sick-bay. She took over and He was quickly taken to the sick bay.
    Next morning, at the Gatehouse, I learned the Chap had taken an Epileptic fit and was being discharged. Not only from the Sick Bay, but from his employment also. Such is the compassion, as displayed by the Office.
    He was no doubt, considered by them, a possible liability. My Chalet Mates were from Hull and Birmingham. The Hull lad was made up to Corporal. The Gatehouse was run by a plain clothes Barry Policeman. They had a direct phone line from there to the Barry Police Station.

Saturday morning. The first Happy Campers began arriving. First it was a steady trickle. Then as the day progressed it became a steady stream of Mums, Dads and Kids.

Amongst one bunch was the wife of a casual acquaintance of mine. She was a little bit friendly, but shocked, and I detected too, a little disappointed. Bang goes my free time, as it were.
    Though, I adopted a Sergeant Schultz attitude. Or more like the Three Wise Monkeys. See nothing I Hear nothing and Say, not very much at all.
    Here endeth the first day.

Things began getting into a regular pattern. We'd do our Watch at the Gate.

Socialise with other staff in the evenings. We were allowed access to most of the Bars and Music Venues.
    O’course, the Wages didn't allow for too many purchases. Particularly, for the average Casual,It being their first job for some time. Personally I was rather better off, as I could be Home, in twenty mins or so. An easy drive home. Also, I had a few (Shekels?) deposited in Barclays to access when needed.

When funds were fading during a session. In effect, I was a bit of a Livewire, as the saying goes. Diana Dors arrived early one evening. The Corporal was called out to park her Rolls. Anyway, when he came back, real chuffed.He’d been presented with a whole Pound-note. That enabled him to ‘shout’ a round or two among us
    Apart from myself, there were Two others I became aware of, both of whom had recently returned from OZ. One of them worked in some capacity round the Office. The other, a rather harried man, announced himself. as He 'd just been directed to join Security, having spent his first couple of days employment, in the Plate House.
    Nice enough Chap, in his early twenties. He was telling me he'd recently returned to England after being in the Victorian Police Force. Further conversation revealed he'd been at the St. Kilda Station. That was the adjacent suburb to where I had been living.
    When Socialising ,in one of the Bars in a rather mixed Group, He turned to me saying, "there was a Queer in the St Kilda police, y’know". I thought, What's that got do with the price of fish? It was far removed from any subject we'd been discussing.
    This occurred during another similar situation a few nights later. Then one night, after a number of Pints, he could no longer contain his obvious distress. Turns out he was attached to the St.Kilda Vice Squad. One of their jobs involved checking out public toilets on Beaconsfield Parade. Unfortunately. he was apprehended himself. Booted out very smartly. Hence his return to the U.K. He was obviously glad to get it off his mind.
    At the Gates, incidents were becoming quite common in the evenings. Such as the Barry Boys, attempting entry in to the Camp at different areas of the perimeter, they would test the strength of the fences. With the ensuing orders to "Run and Catch them"
    Another practice of theirs was to lodge-on to a group of campers returning from the pubs down the road.
    More than one punch-up occurred and it became quite serious some nights.
    And the ensuing Orders to" Run, and Catch them! " One other Practice of theirs, was to lodge on to the end of a party of returning revellers One particular little group, more than a couple of times, they "Tried it on" Their appointed leader, the tallest, and probably, the longest reach. Would, as the last of the particular line of returning Campers, entered the opened Half-Gate, Latch on behind. I would try to close the Gate, with one hand, and attempt to fend off a right or left swing, fending him off and then closing the Gate. I stood back a few yards or so to avoid their baying. Or Baiting!
    Suddenly a hail of stones, started falling near me. Too close for comfort! I realised then, I stood in the light emanating from the Gatehouse, and they stone throwers were not visible in the gloom.
    T’was then I took stock of the situation and thought this is like, No man's land. And all for eight pounds a week. So, stuff this for a game of Soldiers.
    Mind now made up, I informed the Office next morning. " Time for a Parting of the Ways" thinks I, and received my Wage owing. Wouldn't have been much, anyway.

A nice couple of days sojourn at Home, which was just about a twenty mins drive away.
    Still had some five weeks or so before returning to OZ. Had booked a Berth on the Angelina Lauro, from Southampton, for the return trip. I had a married Sister living at Barnstaple, N. Devon. Over the years, many of the Family in Wales, would invariably, at some time or other, travel over on the very popular Campbells White Funnel Fleet that was mostly Paddle Steamers, from nearby Porthcawl. only six miles from Bridgend, our main Town. The trips Always, "Subject to Weather Permitting" as announced in their Programmes.

Other Ports on the schedules included, Weston-Super Mare, Lynmouth, Ilfracombe, or perhaps a trip, to Lundy Island. From "The Boys”in previous years regurlarly attended the Wed - and Sat night dances at the Pavilion, which was right on the sea front looking directly across the Bristol Channel to the Lynmouth Light, could be seen Flashing.away.
    So! seeing their ad. in the Evening Echo, I was once again inspired. Next morning saw me at the Company's Tiger Bay Office. There I secured an A.B.s job on the M.V. Balmoral. The Company had only two vessels now. This one, M/V. and the (Waverley.) The only Paddle Steamer left. Whereas previously, up to the fifties and sixties. They had about six Paddle Steamers, Cardiff Queen, Bristol Queen, etc.

I joined the Balmoral at Pier head Cardiff, Mainly now, the run was to Cardiff, direct to Barry and bypassing Penarth, Then across to Weston.S.M. then down the Channel to Minehead. That’s where lay another Popular, Butlins Camp.
    Next, along the Coast by pasing Lynmouth, to beautiful Ilfracombe, Hey Ho!
    She probably spent about Forty Mins. at Ilfracombe. Final Port of Discharge, as it were. Gang way-down, the whole Deck-crew, I think there were six, wouldn't have been any more. Off like rockets. A good three to four mins run to the first of a line of pubs, along the Quay. For some reason, we chose the 2nd one in. Anyhow it enabled us time to quickly quaff 3-4 pints of the preferred, usually, Devon Cider, then a quick return run to get aboard. Pull in the wooden gangway, slack of the few ropes and, a "Life on the Ocean Wave" "Cider Makes I laugh and when I laughs, me ‘At falls orf "
    (Some of this nonsense in our best West Country accents).

One other incident.
    A Saturday morning. I had Gate duty. When this man, who to me was an unlikeable scrawny, unpleasant character, But being the plain clothes Rep. of the Barry police presence, and definitely always keen to display his Superior authority, comes out the Gatehouse and says to me, "There's a Mini parked outside the Arcade. Go and see who owns it and get it removed". So I ambled off and soon noted the offending Mini. I entered the Arcade just as various businesses were jopening up for the day's trading. There were quite a number of staff, To-ing and Fro-ing. I asked one or two of these workers if they knew who owned the car outside. There were varying replies from, "like I don't know. I'll ask my Boss" etc. I was obviously creating some curiosity among them all.
    The general consensus was, they thought it belonged to a Mrs. Williams. They ventured that she has the Bingo Concession. Shortly after that info, the mysterious Mrs Williams approached looking very concerned. "What's Up? What’s the bother?” I explained that the car was to be removed. She said, " I have a Pass to park there." At this point, into my vision I could see outside. Standing at a clear window section ,was The Sergeant, waving his arms and frantically beckoning. I went out to Him and he said "It's O.K.! Better go back to the Gate". I learned some time later that the Mrs. Williams just happened to be Billy Butlin's Empire ,Heiress. On reflection I remembered I had read some
    years earlier, somewhere, of the Heiresses marriage to a plain Mr.Williams, a Barry town taxi owner/driver.
    The Sergeant had learned of the copper's set-up. Hence his hasty appearance and worried look and beckoning.

On some Sunday's we would do the ‘Run Down the Coast’ to Ilfracombe. Thence directly across the Bristol Channel and overnight in Swansea. The run ashore for our "Crowd" would be an evening in the popular Docker's Club.
    I well recall having, as it turned out to be, my final Wheel across. It is remembered for two reasons. (One) the annoying loud Ding! of the Ship's Bell. Each time she rolled to Stb'd Ding! and again, Ding! when regaining an upright position. This was owing to the strong S.W. swell on the Port beam. Was I glad to get past the Mumbles and in to the calm of Swansea Bay.
    Reason 2. As I had a long standing appointment with my Dentist at Bridgend. I asked the Mate, “Could I leave her in Swansea and rejoin her next evening in Cardiff”? His reply was, “He couldn't see his way clear". Thinks I “ I can".

Monday Morn saw us up the Coast, via Porthcawl to Cardiff. My gear is already in the Hold-all. As soon as she was tied-up alongside, and the gangway out, I went For'd, secured my bag and I was gone, ashore. A short walk then to the red Western Welsh Bus stop and the bus, and twenty mins later, I was in Bridgend. First time ever I had deserted. Despite many inclinations and temptations around the Oz Coast in particular. I'd "Skinned Out!"
    Mission accomplished!

I stayed close to home then, as the time to embark on my return journey was fast approaching. Just a couple more Fri nights up the Valley with the Boy's, all came and went. Then it was the Sunday that I was to join the Angelina Lauro at Southampton.
    Sat. night, Mum and I had booked the function room at the Kings Head Pub, in the Village.
    The Boys and their Wives, Family members from Devon and locally, a couple of old school pals etc in attendance. So, it turned in to a memorable night.
    Next morning, being just a little hung-over, my Eldest Brother and a Nephew, drove me to Southampton, for the afternoon boarding. Ah, familiar territory. She lay at the New Docks. I had often joined and left the Castle line Mail Boats there. The Capetown Castle and the Winchester also.

A Small Aside.
    The 1966 Seamans Strike had ended at Midnight, after exactly six weeks. (although it didn't officially End.) It was merely adjourned for one year. In order to give the Shipping Companies enough time to make the necessary recommended changes.
    As it was I happened to be on my trip off, when the impending strike began, at Midnight on a Sunday.
    I’ll never forget the announcement. L.W. Tele's Late News. Very impressive. The Screen lit up a Ships Telegraph. A hand directed it to “Finished With Engines”. Then the announcement "The Seamans Strike has now begun ".

Due to re-join the Q.E.from my Trip-Off ,the next afternoon on her arrival from New York I returned to So'ton the next morning. a Monday. In order to take my Gear, etc ,off the "Lizzie" She came alongside a Berth in the Old Dock, about 6pm, I went aboard, grabbed the kit-bag and joined the crew members as they were exiting en-masse.
    On return to the Dock Gates there was a heap of international T.V. Media displaying large logos denoting the stations they represented. I vividly recall one from New York. O‘course, some of us hammed it up for the cameras. Myself, by turning the Kit-bag upside down ,for example.
    The Strike ,had some personal repercussions though. My long-standing, if infrequent association, with ‘A Lady’ owner of a certain Hostelry in St. Mary St. Came under a lot of strain, as per the "Drop In Trade" over the six weeks. As she enjoyed a lively income. Her best nights Trading ,Always ,when in Port generated in particular by a usual, or should that read unusual group, from the Andes. The Dears were always top shelf.

Our reasons differed. My argument being the neccessity to improve pay and conditions. Her's being, the loss of Business. So, in the long run, although we remained friends, things were "Never quite the Same."
    Used to do my Picketing at Cardiff , the Mountstuart Entrance.

On the Friday previous, at the Cardiff meeting a Union Rep from the London Office announced, " That, the strike would end at Midnight on the Monday , I returned to So'ton to rejoin.
    With the other men I re-signed the Queen- Elizabeth, under Floodlights, on the Prom Deck
    She had been moved To the New Dock .About 104 berth.
    Signing on started at 1.a.m. Cunard had the Shipping Masters there at various tables. What a sight, as daylight came. Ships were everywhere, some three abreast. Liner wise. You name it, it was there.
    Southampton Echo had a good front page photo of the scene. As the days went on, the ships gradually broke away, and went about their business. We were there about three days or so before going round, to Ocean Terminal.

Back to the Story.
    Aboard the Angelina Lauro I opted for meals First Sitting. A result of being a Sports Q.M. on the Himalaya. One often had to attempt to placate many 2nd sitting passengers complaining. Their being unable to gain a seat or entry to some of the most popular events. So, for that reason, I have always preferred the first sitting.
    At our First Dinner, an hour or two later after we had left the Solent, so no longer much to see, I ambled up to the first Venue, practically empty at this time, and joined the few at the Bar, I ordered, then sat at a table close to the bar and also near to the dance floor. Passengers were slowly entering and taking their chosen spot. Then two very attractive young Ladies entered and proceeded to a table in the centre of the Lounge. I thought to myself, I know that blonde girl from somewhere. I decided to myself, it could be the Scottish singer Lulu. It left me wondering as yet it was still early. Even the music had hardly got under way. I was contemplating that when the crowd improves, I will go over and ask one of them to dance, I'd left my run too late. Few of the ships Officers entered the Lounge, The 2nd Mate stood at the Bar, looking around, then being Italian, he didn't miss a beat. Then, hey presto! he had moved in on them. Ah well, can’t win ‘em all I s’pose.

My cabin-mate, thirty -ish, was returning to KIWI. though having a few weeks first at Melbourne.
    Our first Port of call, Genoa near the famoso Dirty Mile. Where the Ladies of the Night, supposedly (TO THE TUNE OF Sentimental Reasons would chant, ''I LOFF You” for twenty thousand Lira. That's only hearsay mind. Don't know if its fact or not.

Next Port ,was Napoli. Sat Morn. I was standing with a group of mostly Melbourne residents, idly watching the small number of departing passengers walking along the Wharf, when one of the women near us chirped out, "There goes Bertie's Girl-friend ". Puzzle solved. The Blonde, from the first night out. Pattie Mcgrath. A regular talent, on the Graham Kennedy and Bert Newtons 'In Melbourne Tonight’ Show. So, I naturally wondered, why should She be leaving at Naples.

Some weeks after being back in Melbourne the story appeared in one of the Papers. Pattie had been booked to entertain on the Q.E. With time to spare in London .to fill in until that date, She had decided to take a trip on the Angelina. In the meantime Bert, back there in OZ, and missing her terribly. Decided to fly to New York, and joined the Q.E. to Southampton. He Pledged his Troth while aboard. She accepted. The rest is history, as they say. On my reflection, this time, one can say "It's a Sheila Who's Run away to Sea" and achieved a satisfactory conclusion.
    Not long after leaving Naples, a Ship's Concert by the Passengers was organised. Though we had a team of ice Skaters and Dancers on board, none of them volunteered. One lady, starting a new life in Kiwi (the furniture and car, were aboard a Cargo ship following behind us somewhere.) was amongst the Acts. Possessing a very good Soprano voice she was professional and funny with it. We became friends for the duration. The trip, was becoming more interesting every day.

My Kiwi Cabin Mate, He being 2nd sitting, was conveniently , never around, at Lunch -times. So! ",When the Cat's away, The Mice will Play, "as it were.
    I'd usually see him at one of the entertainment venues after the Dinner sittings. The Chap, sitting with him, came over to my Table carrying a bottle of wine. In a broad Irish accent, Would you like this? , Won it in the raffle ". His explanation, Being a former heavy drinker.He had Signed the Pledge ,after overturning his car whilst living in Kiwi, Wore a Badge on his Jacket, to prove it. John was making for Melbourne, to find a job and live there. Wal, also a non-drinker too, was having three or four weeks in Melbourne, to round off his trip.

Long Story Short.
    Within a few days, after arrival I’d secured a 2 bdrm flat, back at Elwood. John had taken a job at Spencer St. Station Goods Yard. He left his Boarding house, and moved in to my place. This was to both of us a financial advantage. Convenient to his work place and close to a couple of popular Dance Halls, where says John, Quote, "Dancin's, Me Hobby An’ I’m good at it." Though the reason for signing the PLEDGE may have caused a few errors, in his routine . In the present that's immaterial though. He had been quite a traveller in his time. Worked in South Africa etc for some years too. Basically living out of his Large suitcase. Travelling the World.

My life style being what it was, meant, often I wouldn't "be in residence" for weeks. Getting ahead of myself, a little.

Not many days left now, on the Angelina. The crossing of the Great Australian Bight, had been particularly scary. The seas seemed to be coming from all directions. The ship itself was rather Top-heavy with its number of decks above the waterline. So she was tossed round for a few days. I recall one Bar that I went up to a couple of times during that Period being deserted. A long narrow-ish Bar with

large Fench-door type windows with glass surrounds. The bar ran thwart ships, and one had to hold-on very tight at times, as she lurched sharply to Port or Starboard and watching the green Seas awaiting outside.

During the Vacation the Melbourne lady friend (who's workmate owned the Dog that raced the night I'd left) and I had not exchanged much correspondence.
    Nothing had seemed noteworthy, though I do recall she was off to see the production of, Age of Aquarius, at one of the Theatres. I think the implication being, it wouldn't be on her own, we were "just Good Friends" as they say in the Classics. I Think we were both aware, of our shortcomings. Often in future years, we would both meet up at the same venue and She was usually the first to come over, with a big smile, and nice words, No matter our current partners were there. More adult, than I deserved.

Entered, Port Philip Bay in the early morning. The last night at sea was probably a Gala Dance. Can't recall for sure.
    At the end of the evenings events I had this Bright Idea. This was gained I suppose from knowledge of having worked on liners.
    A Perk if you will, of the Bdrm Stewards, (B.R's as they were known) was to, as soon as a Cabin emptied at different ports, was to make-up the Cabin ready for the Homeward bound Trip or short cruise, whatever.
    Also enabling them more free time at the final port of call. In this case Sydney.
    A comfortable little extra income unofficially made, would be to hire out a particular emptied suitable cabin in their Sector. There being many frustrated long haul passengers who'd been in four berth or more accommodation. Most of the Upper Decks being well lit up at night and the interior spaces, such as a drying room etc being too obviously uncomfortable. Therefore, the extra Pound or two, Dropsy as it was known, was "not to be sneezed at"
    Melbourne ,in the Morn !
    Of course, being so late, with no one in attendance, other than the odd Pantry-man perhaps, So it was a case of 'Follow me and be Saved', As we entered a suitable first-class ,vacated section . The sound of the engines movements indicated we must be close now. At end of the short alleyway emerging from the Cabin . A small cluster of (B.R's). Obviously joking and high spirited at the impending arrival at Station Pier and getting ashore. We approached them, then turned right and down the Stairway. In the split seconds of passing, suddenly a surprised look emanated from one of the previously jocular discussion group, this was probably His section. Looking back over my shoulder, it was as though he was about to speak. Then I suppose he thought, too late now .in this case, "HIM, AND THE BIRD, HAD FLOWN.

Station Pier, Port Melbourne.
    Arrangements had been made to Meet up over the next couple of days .Her having a few acquaintances to meet with in the City. Had previously booked for two or three nights at the Airport Hotel, Tullamarine. then to N.Z.

As I was descending the gangway, my arm was grabbed at from the side. Hey! It was Bernie, a workmate and near neighbour, and long-time companion when travelling to various Social occasions, as members of a large Social Dance and Party group. Which often booked out various Town Halls around Melbourne for its dances. We also used Country Halls, from Seymour to Sale, or Wangaratta to Warragul. You name it, we used it.

As it turned out, Bernie had been picked up that Morn, to Store the Ship. Thus his presence.

We met up that evening, and discussed events. I thought him a bit out of line though, as he appeared rather anxious to tell me that he'd seen E, my lady friend, more than once, at Leggetts Ballroom with that Italian Guy.Had she gained a Latin Lover? as the scholar might say.
    Or perhaps, "He were just filling in"? while you were away, as the North Country wit would say!
    Personally, considering my own shortcomings, I should be the last one to comment. Though perhaps a little disappointed, I should be the last one to be annoyed.

Ce'st La Fie!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Ten Pound Pom.

Well Evan
    What a wonderful story this is,filled with much interest and can see it was written with passion!
    This is really the sort of Thread (Post we so need on here again) and I hope that your Story will entice others to write similar about their lives!
    I have never been one to sit and do this but wish I could,as my life story is wide and varied and think would take many many pages.
    But then I would really have to sit and compose it all,and whew! what a job that would be!
    But again thank you so much for such an interesting rendition of part of your life!

PS I read in one part that you were on the Winchester Castle,what Year was that as I too sailed on her for a few Voyages in the 1958/59 era!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ten Pound Pom.

Evan, a story worth writing and one of great value to those who may not be amongst us but look in as visitors.
    Like you and so many others we came here for a better life, and now seeing how the UK is I know we did the righty thing.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank You for those kind words.

I' m "on the Pop again" Have the right Book alongside me. So hope to give a coherent answer.

Spent most of the day ,On the Computer. And enjoying . Talking Seamen's Language.

The relevant dates I find for the Winchester Castle ,are as follows. joined . 4 December 58 -16 Jan 1959.(that was the Trip, DELMONICO'S closed 10-30p.m New Years Eve.

Did the two following voyages ,leaving 8 may 1959 .note now that's (V.E. day anniversary).So don't know now if our Paths crossed . no doubt they did
    " For, those were the Days " Southampton in its prime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will have to check Lewis ,I am not sure if I had asked this before though?

Another question is your place of Residence/Birth Biography:Llanharan.Wales ?

Or should that be LLANHAVAN ??? Or are those two different places?? Sily question I know! But it has you at NA as that
    Reference: BT 372/1182/6
    Description: R506276 LEWIS E C 19/11/1931 LLANHAVAN
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###a great and interesting read evan....so many great stories amongst our crew aboard here ..not an unexciting life amongst us .....we certainly have talked the talk walked the walk and got the tea shirts .....respects cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Will have to check Lewis ,I am not sure if I had asked this before though?

Another question is your place of Residence/Birth Biography:Llanharan.Wales ?

Or should that be LLANHAVAN ??? Or are those two different places?? Sily question I know! But it has you at NA as that
    Reference: BT 372/1182/6
    Description: R506276 LEWIS E C 19/11/1931 LLANHAVAN
    Cheers
    Yes. Vernon. it should read Llanharan.

I first noticed the Llanhavan on the Robin's Vindi Web Site . An annoying B.O T. error.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Evan on my brief sojourn out this morning to do some specific tasks the first being my weekly visit to the doctors to check on blood pressure, I came out and went along. To the chemist to get some battery's for the blood pressure machine. On coming back to the car a figure came out of the doctors door which had previously just gone in. It was an old shipmate whose name was Patrick. I sailed with him on quite a few ships out here and he usually volunteered to do the cooking as was not imperative to carry a cook out here with less than 12 of a crew. After much talking about complaints medical like two old women I asked him if he was still at sea as he is well under retiring age and it was 15 years since I sailed with him. He said in the past 5 years it was very hard to get seagoing employment he had been and got one of these new fangled watch keeping certificates and think his last job at sea was with the border protection units. However he had gone into business himself and when I asked him what , he said cleaning people's gutters out. This may seem a pretty basic job to some but very important in the fire season, and he was making money at it, as a seaman he was showing initiative and supporting himself until hopefully he could find employment back at sea. The last thing he said to me on parting was I pass your house often next time I"ll pop in with a bottle of Singleton Whiskey. My first thought was never heard of that one before I realised he was referring home brew, so maybe he is also into the illegal distillers as well. Sad to see however seamen looking for work. Although good to see with their background they can turn their hands to other things. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th July 2017 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lewis View Post
    Thank You for those kind words.

" Southampton in its prime.
    Hi Evan
    Was just looking at one Trip that I thought was possibly with you on Board but it was not the one so we missed each other,in fact I joined her the trip you left ,so only the turnaround time possibly a Week. However I cannor work out the dates as they seem to conflict a wee bit!
    You say you left on May 8th 1959 and I left on May 21st 1959 ? That does not give enough time between dates?? I have the actual Departure agreement here with my date on! ''
    Strange!
    My dates for that trip was left Southampton 21/5/1959 Returned 3/7/1959
    Cannot read the Masters name on the Document but looks like Camberling?? Oh well
    Cheers

Just found his name it was Cambridge now I do recall him!
    The next one on her we had no other than Logger Lloyd
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th July 2017 at 10:55 PM.

R697530

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yes Vernon, the wonderful Logger Lloyd. Logged them at the drop of a hat.

then of course Swivel eye Lloyd, said to be able to see more out of that one than some with two. Did captains inspection with his Tiger following with a slaver full of white gloves. he would constantly change them and use them tp look for dust.

Despite common theories they were not related. It is said Swivel lost his eye when in the Royal navy during WW2.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast