Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Only a boy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Only a boy

Just sitting here in my room where I build my ships , I like to call it the focsle I was looking up a painting by the marine artist Derik Gardner he painted the clipper Glory of the seas my thoughts not so much lay with the beautiful painting but what I read about her she was supposed to have spent 40 years trading she was built by the great MCcay who build many of the great ships under sail I thought to myself 40 years, I sailed in a ship where on her second voyage we where over the side on a stage ( I must not go off into one about working over the side free as a bird ) chipping rust she was not a year old , I am so lucky I was there and I have a hobby brought to me to sustain me at this time of my life all because I as a boy of 15 chose to go to sea I was tall for my age I did my first voyage around the world out through Suez back through Panama got back to Tilbury a week before my 16th birthday and my dear old Mum let me go god bless her and my wonderful father had been on the Atlantic during the war so he knew what I was getting into sometimes I think I should have to stayed untill around 1975 but then maybe other things would have come into play that may have changed my life and maybe not for the better all in all it was a wonderful time to be young for me travelling the world for free and being paid for it win win regards mates I hope you are all well Dave .
    Last edited by kurutai; 8th March 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Only a boy

I like to paint ships Dave,
    here are some, Not copies of pictures, but straight from my imagination.in water colours.
    The four masted windjammer was painted with water colours on a 2 x 2 foot hard board, on the rough side, I painted it dozens of times to build up the paint.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Why do the thumbnails stay as thumb nails and not open up anymore.?????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th March 2017 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It,s a shame I cant make them bigger , one thing for sure Brian is that you have mastered the hardest part in my mind and that is the sea and the sky , I had a go at it I thought I would be good at it I was rubbish so that got the deep six [ I must not say deep six again or I will go off the thread ] from what I can make out you just have to steam in there,s me messing about for ages getting nowhere ,then someone comes along you can watch them on you tube bosh bosh and there is a lovely painting makes me sick when I look at my piece of rubbish never mind we all like a tryer regards to all hands Dave .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mind you talking about deep six ,it reminds me of a time when we where at anchor in Monty aboard the old Durango we where putting the BA fenders over the side next thing the fella on the winch of the outboard derrick gives it some stick not letting the fella on the inboard winch lift it high enough off the deck next thing one set of railings went to the bottom of Monty harbour , and before anyone makes a comment it was not me .

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started painting at sea in my watch below. on long voyages, it helped to past the time. It does not matter how good or bad a painting is, if you like it , it is good, if you don't like it then bin it, it is only for recreation.
    I was on the world cruise on QE2 and they had an art class for the passengers. I painted a ship at sea passing Dover and an America woman wanted to buy it.

I said `how much are you prepared to pay`?, she wasn't sure. I said `this painting is priceless`.
    I said `if you give me $50 or $10 dollars that is all it is worth..so I will give it to you, there is No price, so it is Priceless. how`s that. `
    She was amazed that I had given it to her for free. `Now you have a painting that is priceless.` I said.
    So I left a lady who was happy, long time since I did that.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th March 2017 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I started painting at sea in my watch below.Brian.
    ###pleased you gave that american lady one brian .........regards cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th March 2017 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like that Brian as you so rightly said it was priceless I hope you signed it ,all my ships I sign and I always put my discharge book number alongside it , homeward bound from Kiwi we had passengers just a couple next thing the mate says to me there is a lady passenger who would like one of your ships and he brought her down to my cabin so she could ask me to build her a ship I let her pay me in beers if I remember rightly but I never signed that ship , any art good or bad should be signed you took the hours of creating it take pride in it I say , hang on I feel another yarn coming on anyone ever read the book pepple on the beach ? regards Dave
    Last edited by kurutai; 8th March 2017 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just wonder how many American lady`s have been given one by our generous Merchant Seamen ? Always gallant !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that most of us didn`t really realise at the time how lucky we were travelling the world `free of charge` seeing places untouched by tourist in those far off days, and as for regretting coming ashore earlier than we should I think all of us feel those pangs of regrets from time to time. Regards to all...........Brian W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kurutai.
    I haven't put a ship in a bottle for about three years, I still have a couple, my daughter has one that I put in a light bulb, and two in one flagon, which I emptied first of course. Twenty years ago I did a painting course in the technical college, I got a good pass, I entered a few comps but some of the paintings entered were to good. I have painted two self portraits and a number of ships, I have five blank canvases in my garage, I might get around to doing some painting sometime, but my time is so full of other things, once I get a book in my hands I can't put it down, I usually have three on the go. As they say I have no time to stand and stare. Glad to hear you are fully occupied.
    Cheers Des

12. Thanks kurutai, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, thomas michael, N/A, John F Collier liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast