Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lucellum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucellum

Some old sailors never die - as evidenced by this story about the Luccelum.

The Lucellum was built in Odense for the Astrakhan Steamship Company, part of H. E. Moss & Co. Tankers Ltd. The 1st Engineer, Norman Livesey, had been living with his wife and two young sons in Denmark whilst supervising its construction for H. E. Moss. He and the skipper, Captain John Wrey Swenson from Penrith, had sailed together on one or other of the tanker fleet of H E Moss for ten years. The crew were mostly Danish but several of the officers had been brought over from England, including my father, William Redvers Forster (1900-75), the 2nd Engineer, whose parents lived "across the road" from Norman Liversey in Monkseaton, Northumberland.

My father left the Lucellum just before the outbreak of war but Captain Swenson was in command in December 1941 when it was bombed whilst part of a coastal convoy en-route from Belfast to Swansea, killing eight men outright and burning fiercely. The young Australian 2nd Engineer, Bill Uhr, described how “in the true tradition of the sea the Captain was first off the ship and I was the last”. Against the odds the ship was saved by the courageous efforts of members of the newly formed National Fire Service and was towed to Holyhead on Anglesey. On landing Bill Uhr told the Skipper he was “the son of a long line of bachelors”. It is not surprising that although the skipper and several others were awarded medals Bill Uhr's bravery and resourcefullness was overlooked. Bill Uhr represented the Admiralty in fractious dealings with Norman Livesey of H E Moss, the ship owner, over the repairs needed.

Bill Uhr is still alive & lives in New Zealand.

Bill

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Braid Anderson thanked for this post
    Ron Hamilton Guest

Default H.E. Mosses

I sailed on the 'Luminetta ' of the same vintage as 'Lucellum ,both sailors & firemen living in the foc'sle ,in 1950 , which turned out to be the most bizarre voyage ,& I had a few , which I experienced in 10yrs . We were fortunate to return alive , after being ordered home by Lloyds due to chronic boiler problems & if the shipping office in Nth Shields had not had a strong grille between the crew & Capt Waters at the pay-off I think there would have been some blood spilt ! It would take a book to relate our experiences & I keep telling myself to extract the digit & do it. Ron Hamilton ,Tokoroa, N.Z.
    Last edited by Ron Hamilton; 8th January 2012 at 09:21 AM.

4. Thanks Braid Anderson, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I worked for H .E .MOSS, right out of school at 15 , in the exchange blds., in l,pool, was there almost 2 years and it was a job that influenced me too go to sea, I used too read the ships logs of the past and the wartime ships that were lost we got the first teletypwriter , it was amazing to see it work ,from London a typist on the other end would type and it would come through in our office ,Ha, Ha, looking back that was amazing technology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucerna

I sailed on the Lucerna, we sailed from Falmouth in 1962 she was an old ship, slow, red hot, the deck crews cabins were over the engine room, in my 42 years at sea, she was not memorable, just a plodder, gulf, Indian coast. During 'tank cleaning', we were given a tot of rum, but the rum was made in Port Said, needless to say, there were not many takers for the second tots. she must have survived the second world war, she had the degausing gear cables around the decks. Best wishes to all surviving merchant seamen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucerna

Re Lucerna I believe I was 3rd mate on that trip total nightmare cant remember Capt's name but a truly
    hard man There was an er hand called H.E.Moss signed on in Falmouth taken as a bad omen how right we were! Happily I got paid off sick in Somalia . I believe there was massive cargo contamination later on arrival Oz due to blown plugs in cargo lines. Would be pleased to learn the masters name regards maxlefou

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Max, if you were on the Lucerna when I was on it the skippers name was Glover, from South Shields, the Mate was Johnson, I was 18 first trip E.D.H. for me it was a bad trip, I skinned out in Singapore, spent an uncomfortable month in the nick 'outram road', and returned to the U.K. as D.B.S on the City of Rippon. I had to 'walk the plank' for a few weeks before I got another ship, the British Patrol, paradise after Mosse's but all great experience, and for the next 40 years my life was full of various 'experiences' I loved every minute.

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucigen.

hI GUYS I WAS ON THE LUCIGEN TANKER12/2/63 --7/5/63 ALLWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS ONE OF MOSS TANKERS BUT CANT FIND ANY REFERENCE ABOUT HER BUT IT WAS A GREAT SHIP AND A V/GOOD CREW.
    TROUBLE IS DONT KNOW WERE WE WENT .ALL I HAVE IS HER O N 303864. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
    FOUND A PICTURE OF HER LOOKED A GREAT SHIP. BETTER THAN MY MEMORY IS RIGHT NOW.
    RICHIE BRADSHAW. DECK.

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lucellum

My father, Patrick Knowles, served on the Lucellum as 5th engineer August 1940 - March 1941.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lucigen.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Bradshaw View Post
    hI GUYS I WAS ON THE LUCIGEN TANKER12/2/63 --7/5/63 ALLWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS ONE OF MOSS TANKERS BUT CANT FIND ANY REFERENCE ABOUT HER BUT IT WAS A GREAT SHIP AND A V/GOOD CREW.
    TROUBLE IS DONT KNOW WERE WE WENT .ALL I HAVE IS HER O N 303864. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
    FOUND A PICTURE OF HER LOOKED A GREAT SHIP. BETTER THAN MY MEMORY IS RIGHT NOW.
    RICHIE BRADSHAW. DECK.

Lucigen (4)
    303864 5213729 1962 12800
    Tanker. 1968 sold to Cunard SS Co, 1975 sold to Probity Shipping, Piraeus r/n Anatoli, 1981 sold to Maralma Cia Nav, Piraeus r/n Nyala, 1986 sold to Ontario Shipping, Limassol r/n Ontario, 1988 scrapped.

http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/smit...ucigen1962.htm
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd November 2014 at 08:10 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Thanks Braid Anderson, Lou Barron, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lucigen.

Would anyone on here that has posted or not perhaps know of the Following Person that was on the Ship ,unfortunately we dont have a Year,so may make it difficult!
    Thank you in advance
    Cheers

Michael Alexander Roberts
    Shepperton, Middlesex

will be 67 this year

Was on the Lucellum
    and then on the Orchidea

She was(the Lucellum ) apparently Docked ( laid up ) on the River Fal near King Harry's Ferry at the time he was on her!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th April 2015 at 11:47 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

17. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast