Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lucellum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lucellum

My first trip to sea was as deck boy on the mv lumen of moss bros out of Falmouth April 1955 went to Basra then to Hamburg Banius Hamburg then home nice single berth cabins. My next trip was on a tramp steamer the Triland 4in a cabin thanks JP bath

2. Thanks Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lucigen.

There were two sister ships 'LUCELLUM' & 'LUCERNA' which were laid up close to King Harry Ferry on River Fal. Both these vessels had come straight across the pond from new-build at Davey Shipyard (Canada) then laid-up.
    I joined 'LUCELLUM' straight out of marine school (Saudi Shields) as spotty faced 17YO Engineer Cadet, and assisted with getting her up & running and back into service. Sailed on her maiden cargo voyage around to Constanta (Romania) and loaded some heavy fuel. Back across 'the pond' to discharge on USA east coast - small jetty at place called Piney Point. Remember we had problems with some cargo line valves which unable to open, and had to hire some submersible pumps from ashore to get that cargo completely discharged.
    Back across the pond again to Bonney River in Nigeria where my senior 'shipmates' tried to auction me off as cherry-boy! Later that voyage both the LUCELLUM & LUCERNA docked alongside each other on same jetty in Aruba, myself & other Engineer cadet had responsibility of taking fuel-oil bunkers whilst most others were sharing salty seadog tales (& few beers) in both ships bars.
    As I progressed up through the ranks, also sailed on H.E. Moss tankers 'LUMIERE' & 'LUMINETTA' as 5/E, 4/E & 3/E. Had some great and memorable times especially down on South African coast - Durban, Cape Town, Walvis Bay, Port Elizabeth, Mossel Bay, East London etc. Also sailed on m.v. 'ENERGOS' as 2nd Engineer - which Cunard Shipping Services had acquired - she was ex BP tanker?

4. Thanks Colin Wood, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Ben Moon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had the Cunard Tanker @Luminous in Darwin late 73 early 74 and she had to anchor for a few days due to congestion for her berth. Under the Darwin Tropical sun the cargo started to expand and almost fgilled overflow tanks to overflowing when she berthed. Crew complained of having problem with stainless Steel cargo pipes which kept breaking as not as flexible as mild steel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: neville

Hi Gulliver,
    Yea, brought a smile when reading about footy matches. Had a couple of games against Shell oil refinery personnel - most of them played regularly in a league every weekend, so we hopelessly outplayed. We just kitted-up in trainers & E/R boots instead of proper footy boots. Half a case of Castle ale at 1/2 time for refreshments. Can't remember the final score but normally would get slaughtered. One of the deck officers wives scored a penalty for us - think they felt sorry in awarding the penna. As you say, full on Braai & few more cans afterwards helped dull the disappointing score line. Seem to remember main choice of ales either Castle or Amstel.
    Bulkers main ports were East London & Richards Bay. Remember being 'shanghaied' in Durban after doing 3.5 months on 'Energos' then transferred straight over to 'Lumiere' in Richards Bay for another 1.5 months but happy days.
    ATB
    Tony

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin,
    Think that all Moss tankers ships names began with 'Lu'. I was originally appointed to 'Lumen' for my first vessel, but changed to 'Lucellum' at last minute when she brought out of lay-up.
    The 'Lumen' was regular on the RAS - JAZ run (Ras Tanura to Jeddah), had a ships dog on board - which not so unusual in those good-old bad-old days.
    Other ships were as you say Luminous with sisters Lustrous, Lumen, Luminetta & Lumiere. No doubt if any other Moss tanker regulars read this forum they will add other names.
    BR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2