Thread: James Arthur Aitken Steel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default James Arthur Aitken Steel

I am trying to find information about Capt Steel. My father Stanley Tebble served with him as an apprentice, then later in WW2. Capt Steel was on the Johilla with my father, then later on the Saugor which was sunk, He survived but I have no record what happened to him later. My father was not aware that he had survived the sinking. I am trying to write my late fathers memoirs. Capt steel was born in 1897 and received the Merchant Medal.

If anyone has information on my father I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you all,

regards,
    Howard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Howard and welcome,

According to the CWGC, Captain Steel did not survive the sinking of SAUGOR in 1941. Here is his memoriam: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2797728

However, many reference books and websites including u-boat.net have him as a survivor being rescued by the British ship PERTH.

Either the CWGC has it wrong - they have been known to make mistakes - or one of the reference books has it wrong and it has been copied as gospel throughout the Web.

I would suggest that the CWGC is correct - maybe Billy can confirm or not when he comes online.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 5th June 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the CWGC there are eleven British Officers commemorated on Tower Hill from the Saugor, including the ships Master as pointed out by Hugh. Strangely enough there is no record of them in the Deaths at Sea Register. The only information in the register names 41 Lascar Seamen who were lost. Possibly an oversight in the register. May need some more looking into.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default James Arthur Aitken Steel

Hi
    There is a wooden memorial at The National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.
    On the memorial are details of seven ships that were sank. Master, Steel along wiith his full crew of SS Saugor Total loss of life 59 inclyding 41 Indians. There is no mentioned of any survivors

Regards
    Alf
    Last edited by memorialhunter; 2nd July 2010 at 07:30 AM.