Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamens Clubs & Missions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamens Clubs & Missions

Having just read Geoffe Clodes introduction and noticing that he used to stay at the Anchor house in Poplar. I was wondering what hapened to this club. Also the other Seamens Homes in London and the rest of the U.K. I know that the Red Ensign in Dock Street is a hostel for homeless men, ditto the Flying Tab Nab in Plaistow. What about the Stella Maris in Canning Town? The Queen Victoria Rest Home for Seamen Appears to be the only Survivor in London. Is that the Same in Australia,New Zealand and South Africa etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, we still have a few left here in Oz. Very good one down in Port Melbourne that I visit from time to time, but in general they are on the decline.
    However this is the international year of the seafarer and the mission association has opened two new ones in Brazil. As trade routes change they will continue to attempt to offer services in the new regions. There are currently about 1.5 million seafarers around the world, many from some of the poorer countries. To assist such members the mission has now launched a roaming SIM card so that those far from home can keep in contact at a cheaper rate without incuring roaming fees.. During the year the missions are looking for stories of seafaring adventures of days past and have a painting competition on the go. Seafareres are the unsung heros of the world keeping economies going and serving the various countries. They musy never be allowed to fade away and must always be kept in our memories.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 4th March 2010 at 05:37 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

John your depth of knowledge is amazing."I dips me lid to ya", Mort
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seamens Clubs & Missions

Hi. Do you know Anchor House? I'm doing a job about Anchor House and the bar Stella Maris. Can you share any memories of that time? Anchor house now is a hostel for homeless people
    Thanks

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Bob Dunkley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought all the Catholic Missions to Seamen were called the Stella Maris. Otherwise I have been walking around for a long time in ignorance to the fact. JS

7. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Maritime charity is urging all shipping lines operating in the Port OF Liverpool to contribute towards a new levy which will help fund welfare support of all their crew members.
    Liverpool Seafarers Centre(LSC) say Peel Ports has already agreed to allow the voluntary levy but charity boss John Wilson has been left "disappointed" after a number of shipping lines refused to pay.
    Mr Wilson said the levy,which will be collected on behalf of LSC through shipping agents,will help fund the services of Liverpool Seafarers Centre which provides support to 50.000 seafarers passing through Liverpool each year.

The Seafarers Centre here has three mini bus's which are used to pick seaman up from their ships bring them to the mission and return them to their ships. I was with two of the volunteer drivers last week,one said,the seamen are using the mini bus's like a taxi service.They get a call to a ship and the request is Mathew Street Liverpool,Cavern,Beatles and come back for us at 6pm for argument sake,picked up and taken straight back to the ship going nowhere near the mission.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    A Maritime charity is urging all shipping lines operating in the Port OF Liverpool to contribute towards a new levy which will help fund welfare support of all their crew members.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    ###must admit never used the mission much myself but the one in adalaide was ok on dance nights some decent birds in there ......lol cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 4th March 2018 at 08:58 PM.

Lewis McColl Guest

#6 Spitting feathers here, just did a post Ref, missions and my internet connection dipped out.
    Anyway Jim disgusting that shipping companies will not put a few quid into helping the mission. Just shows what they think about crew welfare. Also disappointing that crew members are abusing the use of the mission mini bus. Driver should just take them to the mission and they can make there own way into town from there.
    I will be over in Gods little green acre 3rd week in April. Be good to meet up with yourself & Terry and any other scousers for a beer and a chat.
    Lew

12. Likes Jim Brady, Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Thought all the Catholic Missions to Seamen were called the Stella Maris. Otherwise I have been walking around for a long time in ignorance to the fact. JS
    I think the full proper name for the catholic mission was The Apostleship Of The Sea although it always went by the name Stella Maris.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

14. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all knew Seamans missions at one time or another and they did a lot for some of us. Usually the Padres at such Knew what the score was and turned a blind eye to a lot. They were mostly used when you were spent up which was quite often. I found the Stella Maris"s more lined up to seafares rather than the Missions to Seamen. The Dances were better with more girls, and they got beer in a long time before the Flying Angel. Know of a couple of lifetime romances that started with such and still going strong. JWS

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast