Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oriana

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lois mate, she did take some 10 pound Poms, mate of mine came out in 63 on her, but not as regular as some of the other ships on the Oz run.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking The Big ones'

Hi shipmates, Hi Happy john in oz I remember a big band on the quay side on a few of them for the ten pound poms???? but my job putting oil into all the big beautys was on the other side, only hear the bands, never saw one playing we were long gone when you happy people departed for far distant shores' I was in Fawley or down to poole in dorset to the power station or sometimes in the hole in the wall ,very busy at that time Southampton loads of overtime and L.O.S. {Happy days}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there.

Hi Neville. To answer you Q. I did sail on the Oriana (mark 1) twice but as a child.

However I was young, so to say it was fantastic, might not be as accurate as youd like. However my parents loved it!!

I have recently for some unknown reason began to wish I had been able to sail on her myself as an adult, and I am desperatly looking for the memorabilia my mum kept before she died.

I have to say, that seeing the Oriana in pictures we have and then seeing her in the scrapyard is an awfull blow to the gut. Somehow it just doesnt seem right.
    I wish I had had the opportuninty to stand upon her again as an adult, or to have been able to get something from the ship as a momento.

I'm travelling to Barrow in the next month or so, to go see the museum, and find the model they have. I am really looking forward to that, and I have found one postcard from the ship so far, that mum collected, but as shes been dead 20 yrs, its a long haul to find the items she collected s mt Dad had them and he died 10 years ago.

BTW: I do know we sailed at the same time as the seekers band on the way home in 66, which I think was early 66' and we sailed out to oz, in or around 63? If I find out manifests, then it'll tell me more.

Hope this is of interest to you.
    I am so liking the short videos I keep finding.
    If I had realised earlier and then gone to see her, what a blast that would have been!

Thank you,

Keith Powell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana

Hi Terry,

I was also on Oriana 1970-72. In the tourist restuarant as a winger.Here is a few names who was with me see if they ring any bells.
    Paul.

Paul Smith

Christpher Boulton

Stuart Heaver

Alan Fox

Duncan Macdonald.

Kim Cubbit

Chis Wells.

Chris1910 Guest

Default Passenger on Oriana Maiden Voyage

Hi Neville
    I was a passenger on the maiden voyage of the Oriana although at the age of 4 I have no recollection of the voyage.
    I do however have a lot of newspaper clippings, menus and various other pieces of memorabilia that I could possibly scan in and add to the gallery if anyone is interested.
    I was a 'ten pound Pom' along with my Mum & Dad, 2 brothers and my sister.
    Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana

Hi Paul. I remember Terry Kingdom, th head waiter ( great bloke he got me out of bother with the female passenger when I was caught in her cabin, the staff Captian was doing rounds , opps ) My brother was on there as well Richard Willcox. We had a very memorable 2 voyages aboard her. Very sad when you see ships going to the scrap yard, its like losing a best friend. I cannot remember some of the names but if you put faces to them I might be able to place them. Take care...... Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana

Neville, Terry - After I left the MN I joined Queensland Insurance and was posted to Fiji in 1959 - to 1967 and Margaret gave me children Estelle and Rick who were born there and we went on leave by sea wherever possible. First in 1961 on the RYL Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt and then on the Oriana in 1966 (Suva - Auckland - Maybe Wellington - Sydney and return from Melbourne three months later).

Margaret had to do the laundry in the ship's laundry way down below and it got rough before Auckland and she had to keep running up the companionway for fresh air.

Here is a picture - Rick was in his bunk - at a gala dinner on board.
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 30th October 2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Margaret is a bit happier with running up for fresh air!
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana

Hi Nev...........It seems that the positive comments about Oriana from passengers and crew are almost unanimous. In '63 my mother, step-father and kid-brother emigrated from the UK to Oz as 'ten pound Poms'. My mother always spoke of the 'Oriana' with great affection and she had nothing but praise for both this magnificent ship and her crew. Although travelling in tourist class she likened the experience to a wonderfully long holiday in a first-class floating hotel, and was particularly impressed with the quality of the food and service provided by all the catering staff (wingers and BR stewards, etc., from that era, take a bow!). For my mother, that trip forever remained one of her most treasured memories. In 1966, with my wife and children, I too became a 'ten pound Pom', but there the similarity ends. It was our misfortune to endure six weeks aboard an Italian immigrant ship 'Castel Felice' ( loosely translated as the 'Castle of Happiness', a complete and utter misnomer). Saw 'Oriana' several times when she visited Sydney and the sight of her never failed to stir something within me. A wonderful ambassadress for the British Merchant Navy and a true lady of the sea. .........cheers, Roger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I was always sorry that I did,nt stay on the Oriana ,if I had I may have emigrated too aussie too or New Zealand where I had a couple of old mates ,but that was before I finaly decided too leave UK ,and on the western ocean run too NYC I met my future wife who was a nanny for a NYC lawyer , and there was a bunch of scousers working in the restaurants in Manhattan so that was the clincher for the US

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi terry,my name is neil sutherland,I was on oriana 1970 when she caught fire was my third trip to sea from gravesend,I was a bellboy in telephone exchange on A deck where all the smoke was.12 hours I think to get back by tugs then drydock before starting the voyage again don,t recall all ports thou? so long ago now.regards neil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast