Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Working aloft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Working aloft

If the cable was not washed down and then let go again once dried out, it was best not to stand anywhere near, as the hail of dried lumps of mud travelling at supersonic speed was like standing in front ( should you be so stupid ) of a Gatling Gun - - seen a certain stupid cadet get one hell of a cut nose and black eye, by being hit by one rather large piece of dried out and very hard South American mud. Someone had not washed down the cable after its last dunking on the ships last trip, naughty naughty.

I do remember though the peace of working aloft - painting - away from the maddening crowd and at peace with the world - ruined only by the shouting of the bosun : " are you going to be up there all day, get your a**e in gear " - oh happy happy days.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 15th April 2019 at 05:51 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Working aloft

Leaving Glasgow on the Pacific Reliance, I was senior cadet and on the bridge. During sailing, the Master Captain P F Owens (Uncle Patrick) told me he had had a letter from HO saying that cadets were to go no higher off the deck than the top of mast house. Cleared pilot, full away and "Woodsie go and put up my radio aerial". This entailed tying his aerial to a heaving line, climbing to the table of the mainmast and securing his aerial. LOved it!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4