Thread: M/y luna

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M/y luna

Nautilus International is urging officers and seafarers to exercise extreme caution in dealings with the Marshall Islands flagged M/Y Luna, a luxury superyacht caught up in a bitter divorce dispute between a rowing Russian Oligarch and his ex-wife. Nautilus members are advised not to participate in the removal of the vessel from Dubai international waters. 'Acting in contravention of those orders may put crew at risk,' Bridge McFarland partner Rob Ripley cautioned.Nautilus estimates up to 30 crew could remain onboard.

https://www.nautilusint.org/en/news-...IlpkNKEhCCz1vQ
    Last edited by robpage; 3rd April 2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, j.sabourn, john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: M/y luna

One more good reason why there is a necessity for a union Rob. I only used them once in a legal capacity, which they said wasn’t necessary however on my insistence they complied , at least it put some of the press coverage on warning that no prisoners would be taken. I tried to get them to assist other people who had no coverage and had small monetary claims with their employers. They would not assist them as said they were not members, so I told them to go ahead with a claim I had for about 2 pounds , this high lighted the case and others got paid. The 2 pounds as far as I was concerned they could have kept , but the principles involved annoyed me. The ship I left years ago in Japan, her sister ship was arrested in Montreal, she had a Yugoslav crew , but I think British officers as think numast was involved in the legal representation , the ship was sold as by law the crew have first lien on a ship for wages and expenses. The only one who doesn’t is the master. As he is considered or used to be considered as the owner. Laws are maybe different today but that’s how they were. In 1970. Cheers JS

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, robpage, john walker thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like John above I remained a member of a maritime union all through my career at sea. I found this became more important when sailing on foreign flag vessels and in one case a live stock carrier (Kuwait Flag) Because of the seaworthiness of some of the life saving equipment especially the life boats I felt compelled to get the Officers Guild in both Oz and N.Z. involved. The ship was running from Fremantle/Hawks Bay to Kuwait where the livestock would be trans-shipped to Iraq this was at the height of the Iran - Iraq war. The Iranians were aware of the final destination of the cargoes so the ship was already a possible target for special treatment by the Iranians. I joined her in Kuwait and sailed empty for Fremantle a few days before arriving to load the ship held its first fire and boat drill. It was a bl**dy debacle with some equipment not working and the starboard lifeboat proving impossible to launch. The way I saw it at the time was to see what the ITWF could do about it. They did well over the next 4 visits to Oz and N.Z with all sorts of inspections by various government departments and a large cost of upgrading a lot of things on the ship. In fact they did that well the owners in Kuwait were asking questions about why this particular ship was receiving such scrutiny and who was responsible. I was warned by the captain that the finger of blame was pointing directly at me and that trade unions were outlawed in Kuwait and further more illegal union activity could get you imprisoned. So I had two choices to sail back to Kuwait and brave it out or to leave the ship. Once again the officers guild came up trumps and they made sure I was paid in full with a plane ticket back to the U.K. and given my passport, discharge book . etc.
    Going back to the original post are unions legal where the ship is berthed? I know that the Gulf states that only recognise Sharia Law will not allow free trade unions is this state one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John when you were on that ship was the master Danish. JS
    PS serious as knew one who sailed on the Fremantle one for a long time, I believe, JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th April 2019 at 09:44 AM.

7. Likes john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    John when you were on that ship was the master Danish. JS
    Yes He was as well as the Ch.Eng, they both lived in Oz and probably had dual nationality. The ship had originally been a Danish refrigerated cargo ship and had been bought by and converted to a livestock carrier by Kuwait Livestock Transport and trading. If my memory serves me correctly they had stayed with the ship during and after the conversion. I do remember that neither talked to each other while I was on the ship and never used the officers saloon to eat as they despised the other officers (Indians) who in turn despised the petty officers (Pakistanis) who in turn despised the crew (Bangladeshi/ Burmese ) and all the Asians Despising the 3 Europeans including myself. It seems quite laughable now but at the time the Iranians had a fairly well equipped military with an exocet missile capability and a surface fleet who were planting mines willy nilly all over the Persian Gulf. I took the job as there was nothing else going at the time but felt initially that the war bonus that I was receiving on top of my usual pay was hardly worth it as if anything happened to the ship like sinking every body would be going down with it.

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the same person he was the first person I relieved offshore here in 1991. He was uptight that I had got into the guild as he reckoned he had to wait 3 years. I told him that was his problem. He was very anti union and decried them most of the time. However he is probably still around so won’t say his name. Another one licensed before going to sea which Europe seems in love with. As regards the Exocets the Iranians had , I never really thought about it as we loaded naphtha there for Japan in the 70s , don’t think they would be so stupid to sink their own cargo. Mind the Iraqis wouldn’t have giving it a second thought. My knowledge of Iran shipwise was confined to Bangla Mashur, and the trip across the desert to reach the port. Two cargos of Naptha out, and then myself being transferred to another tanker in Oz. Was harder getting out of Iran than getting in, country was in turmoil the shah had been deposed and cash had to change hands at the airport. People don’t know the half of it. CheersJS..
    ref. Dual nationality only applies to my knowledge to. Members of the Commonwealth. Maybe that was the reason he had to wait 3 years. As in those days only Australians were employed in the shipping world on Australian ships. I have dual citizenship but had to wait 2 years to get the Australian paperwork. Maybe this got up his nose that I got into the guild within weeks. Certificate wise also a British cert. was acceptable any others had to go through a short formal examination.. Maybe he thought he was above that. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th April 2019 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to above and dual passport holder... As said believe I am correct as regards the rules about holding dual nationality at the time I took out citizenship. What they are today maybe others will know better. If however the uk stays in Europe , and we have another vote on becoming a Republic , I will vote for, as see no alternative to the UK becoming submissive to alien countries and do not wish to come under the so. Called umbrella of Europe. I see no fault in a. Common market but every fault. In a European Parliament. But in general coming out of the lot and retaining sovereignty is more to my liking. Otherwise a republic it’s going to become is my guess. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure when you took out citizenship John but there have been some changes made.
    Some countries once you become an Australian citizen will not allow you to keep the one from your country of birth.
    USA is a good example of this.

But as to the future and a possible republic, maybe but it is a fair way off I think.
    To become one there has to be some radical changes to the constitution which would require a referendum and as we know since federation there have been 44 with only 7 getting up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller