Thread: is your CoC okay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default is your CoC okay

UK Certificates of Competency (CoC) for 500 serving officers have been have been put at risk by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) following the discovery of failures by an MCA-approved STCW short course provider based in India.
    Affected officers should receive an email and a written letter from MCA asking them to retake the tests.
    'The discovery of failures by an MCA-approved training provider comes at a worrying time when the certification system may have to undergo EMSA audits as a 'third country' labour supplier, Nautilus International general secretary Mark Dickinson said.
    ‘Nautilus has campaigned strongly on the dangers posed by the casual issue of certificates of equivalent competency by the MCA,’ he said. ‘This disclosure serves to reinforce the validity of our concerns about the problems that can arise from the UK's approach to certification.’

https://www.nautilusint.org/…/traini...s_put_500_of…/
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: is your CoC okay

Once the highest standards in the world Rob. For what ?. There will never be anyone who will stand up and put their hand up and say it was me , with my little bow and arrow , I shot the arrow , and shot the sparrow, together with a few more items on the menu. The UK should have been celebrating tomorrow as a day of liberation, best of luck in the outcome which probably has already been decided regardless of press reports. JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

COMPETENCY is the word that the whole certification system depended on.
    This appears to be taking a back seat these days in favour of pieces of paper which may have more to do with academic ability than competency (or bogus possibly). The Norway incident does not display much competency.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all have our own personal ideas on the subject, mine are and will always be you can’t give someone a certificate of competency by doing the job in a classroom. It’s like giving the military a commission according to his background which still exists in some cases today, although much is made about the progress and equality , much also must be taken with a pinch of salt. Anyhow all out of it now and pleased to be. Some of the examples I saw were bad enough , today would imagine it certainly hasn’t got any better. JS
    Just have a giggle to myself and say ... Once a seaman always a seaman, Once a Knight always a knight, also , Once a night is about my limit these days.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th March 2019 at 01:41 PM.

6. Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Universities give out pieces of paper at the end of a students course.
    It tells any one interested that they have completed a course.
    It does not in any way say they are competent at that course, just that they have met all requirements to pass the exams.

All the pieces of paper in the world will not replace experience in any way.

There was a plan here a few years ago to train our police in the university system until some one realized that desk time is no answer to actual experience.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The people who have been examined entirely under the modern system rather than those who converted over from the old certificates and literally that is only a handful I've had a surprising lack of Engineering knowledge and it gave me the opinion that the current certification is more about watch Keeping that it is about engineering I don't know what the deck department certificate so like but the engineering ones were not impressive and on top of that I have anecdotally heard of people who have bought their tickets on the Indian subcontinent I think the trouble was his we had the best system and you had to be capable and competent to pass the examiner and the rest of the world didn't like it
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s what I saw Rob. The lowest common denominator was taken as the norm , and to most who l know and saw at the time that would have been the likes of Panama. The question is Why ??? Shortages ??? Or cheap labour ??? I know what I believe and that is something they cant take away from any individual are his thoughts , no matter what laws they dream up to counteract. British laws could only be changed by an act of Parliament , but this has been practically non existent for a number of years now. And are made elsewhere. Which today our grand representatives still can’t get their heads round as part of todays present problems. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th March 2019 at 01:54 PM.