Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everyone wanted a Job on them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Everyone wanted a Job on them

Jim
    It all came with practice and as you still had one Hand Free the Veges which were in a Silver Seperator Dish (That is up to Four Veges in one Dish) this was then placed in your free Hand by the Cook at the Serving Hatch,when you got to the table you of course first placed this Vege Dish on the Dumb Waiter ,then placed the other Dishes amongst the Passengers,then a quick dash back to the Serving hatch to collect the rest of the plates and more Veg, from there it was just serve up time . I actually found at first the most difficult part was trying to catch the various Veges from those Silver Dishes,as all you were gven was a sort of Rounded Fork Type (Long Handled) Implement and it was sort of an art to get the Veges out at first!
    Only when I was in First Class did we have those Double Sided Silver Serving Implements which made getting Veges out of the Silver Service Dishes a breeze.

And that Jim is how we did it,as asid took practice but with me it wasnt too difficult as funnily enough when i was on the South African Trains ,we used Silver Service as well as the
    Double Sided Silver Serving Implements
    , that is actually where i was taught to carry so many Plates at once.
    And with the Train wobbling from side to side at quite High Speeds ,it wasnt the best i can tell you.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th January 2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First class as Vernon tells it was all about silver service on UCL.
    However up in the tourist gallop a far different story.
    I have seen wingers with as many as eight plates of cold food up their arm but no so many hot.
    Ten plates on one tray and a serving dish, sometimes two, of veg to go with it.
    A good winger there would make friends with the bell boy and get him to carry the veg dishes.
    Much of this followed up by BOT wash up, on the Windsor via the pantry porthole.

Breakfast with so many of our South African friends was easy, just serve them the bloody lot, it was always eaten.
    Maltabella followed by a full house of cooked food.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Doc Vernon, Bill Cameron, Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good old Maltabella Porridge did the trick all right John that is if you could get on many of the older Ships it was hard to come by,but yes we did serve that and also for many of the SA Passengers on occasions we got the Cook to do some Mealie Meal Porridge as well,but not many of then did it too well,they seemed to not be able to get the Lumps out of it,and quite a few passengers (Real Yarps) complained bitterly!

As for cattying Hot food ,well as said on the SAR&H Trains we got so used to that,and my Arms wee as tough as old Boot Strings LOL/
    Never had any probs at all,used a Thick Napkin of course at the end of my Arm.
    It was as you know all in a days graft on the UCL. although I loved the time I was with them,some of the Ships were real Slave Drivers to say the least,but we all got by.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Likes happy daze john in oz, Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope this opens ok, you boys had it easy with your eight plates, this was me in my younger days, lol, kt

[IMG]blob:http://www.merchant-navy.net/633037af-d0ee-46fd-b310-b11e41d94f69[/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Does not seem to open, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Hope this opens ok, you boys had it easy with your eight plates, this was me in my younger days, lol, kt

[IMG]blob:http://www.merchant-navy.net/633037af-d0ee-46fd-b310-b11e41d94f69[/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Does not seem to open, kt
    ##go on keith you dropped the bleeding things and ran when you saw the big green one coming ....lol cappy.....no offence just done it myself......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy who got your job on the halfpenny dodger when you got the sack ? JS

9. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Cappy who got your job on the halfpenny dodger when you got the sack ? JS
    ##that is a very inflammitory statement ...i never got the sack ......i resigned .....as i was not nicking the brass ports......i was taking them to get highly polished ashore at the scrap merchants ...sadly the BOT would not let her sail to north shields without ports....so it wasnt my fault 1847 dockies never got to work that day .....i remember at my committee hearing in the shippping office one old bleeder saying .......put the young bugger on one of runcimans for 10 month .....that will sort him out .....shame on you JS bringing that up again ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry ! Rob told me Mary told him you were putting the fares in the wrong pocket. And it all came into the open when you tried to pass that rupee coin in the jungle. Just shows how stories can get distorted. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Hi Vernon tell me this please.You take the order off 8 passengers,2 fish,3 lamb and 3 pork chops for argument sake.So you have them 8 plates up your arms.how do you carry the roast & boiled potatos and say 3 veg which are in veg dishes,do you go back to the kitchen and collect them separately.I remember Alf giving his take on it.Maybe the potato's and veg were put on at the press,real dock road canteen stuff that.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    ###never was on any passenger vessels but did have assistant stews from shields who would have the old mans table on third course then amble over to the engineers and say ....hands up for soup......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish i could transfer that photo, ref 14, picture of a guy somewhere with about 16 plates stacked on his arm, Indonesia, or somewhere in the far East, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast