Thread: Container ship abandoned in North Atlantic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Container ship abandoned in North Atlantic

Due to fire breaking out in the deck stow the Haitian express has been abandoned by its crew. Seems these container ships are more dangerous than tankers as this is the third? One in recent months to have suffered a serious fire amongst the deck stow of containers.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/yantian-express...ontainer-fire/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Container ship abandoned in North Atlantic

Hi John.
    All the time i was at sea I\we only had one small fire on board a ship, that was caused by feeding the ropes down the fore hatch to fast causing friction, We had just finished loading crude in Kuwait gas everywhere, so were lucky. But as you say the number of ships these days that catch fire these days something has to be done.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you see how many containers ae on some ships you often wonder how they survive in rough seas.
    But a fire below on one will be impossible to put out.
    Very few crew on board, some as low as 12, and at times the contents of some containers may not be known.
    Not the type of ship I would want to be on, and only one life boat which launches from the stern at a rate of knots.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been reading a book written by a skipper in the early days of containers, the thing they were most interested in was their weight, and even that was unreliable. Maybe times have changed, but if dangerous chemicals in containers are not loaded in a position where they can be opened at sea, then that can be disastrous. Will be interested in the details of this one on fire, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In theory all containers containg dangerous goods have to have the class (and weight) of dangerous goods declared on its shipping bill. The definition of and classes of, dangerous goods are to be found in the international maritime dangerous Goods book(s). These are divided into the various classes such as liquids, gases, solids etc and list all goods by both technical and common names. It lists action to be taken in the event of fire or spillage and also the horizontal and vertical rival distance required to be maintained between stowage of the different classes. A list of the total weight of each class of dangerous goods on board must be kept on the be urge and reported to any IMO traffic reporting scheme and local port VTS. This code applies to any vessel carrying any quantity of dangerous goods as defined in the code.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    P.s. as far as I am aware passengers are not classed as dangerous goods though looking at the antics recently of some of them on cruises perhaps they should.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    In theory all containers containg dangerous goods have to have the class (and weight) of dangerous goods declared on its shipping bill. This code applies to any vessel carrying any quantity of dangerous goods as defined in the code.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    P.s. as far as I am aware passengers are not classed as dangerous goods though looking at the antics recently of some of them on cruises perhaps they should.

John, the other year we did a cruise where I think half the bloods were mad.
    10 people put off the ship at various ports for a variety of incidents, mainly fighting or just causing mayhem for all.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th January 2019 at 05:49 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post