Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: a long trip but wouldnt change it

Matt Wilkinson Guest

Default Re: a long trip but wouldnt change it

Had a 12month on the Manz voyage, met my lovely lady in Wellington NZ and she came to the UK while i was in Southhampton doing my Seconds ticket. Got married in the North East i 1965 and came to NZ married 54years this year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I may just add my short story.
    Got Married in 1960 for first time,did not last long due to circumstances,but did Love her. Had a Daughter whom I now thank the Lord still see very seldom though,as she is in England,but we keep in touch. A son too was Born to us named Paul but was taken from us at the tender age of 5 ,a heartbreaking time .

Then second round hitched again 1964 in Kroonstad SA ,when on the Gold Mines,that too did not last too long. Had a Son who unfortunately have not seen in many many Years a sad story .but live with it.

As they say though third time lucky, found the Woman of my Dreams in Durban while on Leave from the Gold Mines 1967,never went back just wrote to the Mines and said that I would not be returning.
    Hitched in 1967 and still with this lovely and caring Woman,whom I love dearly. Now 51 Years , Have Two Children by her a Son and a Daughter, now with 8 Grandkids and our first Great Grand Daughter,
    Some going around I must say! But now so happy and content with life!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd January 2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon like Cappy I will have been married 57 years this month , that is if I have counted on my fingers correctly.
    That is not to say it has been all a bed of roses, anyone who can claim to have lived an idyllic life I am jealous of. I doubt very much if I had lived ashore during all those years we would have been as compatable as we are sometimes today, notice I say sometimes. In fact Brian’s 21 years of bad luck I doubt We would ever have attained and think one broken mirror would probably have been the limit. Values change as does age also change them a lot. To recognise your own bad short comings is the first thing to do, and either hide them or discard them. I’m still trying to remember what happened to mine , must be lying around somewhere. If do trip over them will throw them in the laundry basket., better known as the dirty linen basket. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if the first Hitchup had lasted JS I would have been doing my 58 Years now! Almost three Life Sentences! LOL
    cHEERS

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s 8.25 broken mirrors. Hope they weren’t Victorian and worth a lot of money.. cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife has been married for some 50 years gone July.
    But in todays society the length of so many is very short, my brother tried it twice and both ended in disaster with a son by one who he had no idea where he is and two girls who do care for him and see him regularly.
    But now of course it a a matter of my 'partner' not wife or husband.

But there are still some with standards.

We met a couple on the ship at lunch, she now 92, was an ex pat from West ham, he from Coventry and 90.

When we asked how long they had been married she replied, 2 years!
    Both had been married before, she once he twice.

But she said in her still strong cockney accent, 'I have standards and it is marriage or nothing'

There was also a man celebrating his 101 birthday and with his wife for 79 years.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes robpage, cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still read this cappy and a great Story too, you are Miles ahead of me now but i am trying LOL
    What happened to the Bike! Do you perhaps still have it, would more than likely be worth some cash!
    Cheers
    From the Young One LOL

R697530

9. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###in 1959 i paid off a british tanlker after some 10 or 11 months on the indian coast ......my buddy and i decided we would buy a coule of motor bikes .....not as much the need for speed ..but more to spend our money on something with our own name on it ....we paid cash ...no tally men for us ....ilived with my gran and her husband ..not my true blood but a great influence on my life ...ex barnardos and with medals for bravery during world war 11 at sea .......life to me was good i had just got my rating after a cleaver job saw a second cook taken ashore in mina al ahmadi half dead after a cleaver attack ......back to shields after a couple of days i had mastered my motor bike to some standard ......and while waiting near the town hall for my mate to appear he lived near jarrow.....i saw a truly beutiful girl come out an office and cross the road to stop at a bus stop near me ...i really was taken .....so next day i returned and as she crossed the road again in her lunch our i asked if she would like to go to the cinema ...her answer was i dont know you and dont be cheeky .......but as she boarded the bus she turned and had a look......i was quite happy with that happening......so after 2 more times i got the reply i was looking for ...and our lives started .....it has been a life of hard work ...ups downs ....succeses and knock backs ......but today my children and grandchildren have all called to see us ...even charlie who must fly to france to play his rugby...his chosen job tomorow we have been through thick and thin up and downs ....but never go out new years......to many fools about and i dont suffer them easily even in my 79th year ...so here we are 60 years this coming year together .....couldnt ask for more ...sure there will be many stories and mine is just one .......but wouldnt change it for any price ...a happy new year to all on this seamans site .... cappy from shields
    Well vernon you certainly you certainly jogged my memory back two years on this one .....but there you are..... oldman time keeps rolling along .....i just think i have been one lucky guy ....she has stood by me through thick and thin .....but always a brake on me .....and knows just how to stop me when the blood rush comes to my head .....i think most seafarers or ex seafarers can still get a bit giddy now and then and a brake is our saving grace.....my family is strong ......she has made them what they are good citizens .....and i was the brake on them when they kicked over the traces .....i honestly believe if i had not met her i would have not had a bit of succes in my life .....but probably been long gone from this mortal coil ........as for new year never celebrate it except in my home when my family all still visit .......to many dickheads .....which i still cannot abide ......any way ...im sure you will have a good long life with your chosen one ......funny thing how we realise what we have got when we get a big health scare such as yours recently......any way thanks for jogging the memory even two years later the story goes on ....regards cappy ......PS i sold the bike to a ships fireman from shields .....

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like most of us seamen, when we decided to bite the bullet and marry, we were quite hard to live with, but a good women stays the course, as mine has done. I would also probably be long gone if it was not for my wife, and to this day she is my financial advisor, lol, but due to her handling the finances we have a good comfortable life, she has a works pension , as do i, and all we own is in both names, been like that now for 56 years. Being an ex seamen, money was just beer coupons, and apart from that had no value, easy come easy go, but now having had hard times, can sit back, do not owe a penny anywhere, and property paid for years ago, life is good, if i can keep it going !! kt
    R689823

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith you are so right there.
    Once ashore I found it extremely hard to settle, wanted to keep moving.

Thankfully my wife also likes to travel so it became a lot easier to settle with her.
    But for some the travel bug remains for life and if like me, once you have it never goes away.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast