Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipping Hammers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chipping Hammers.

After I left the sea, I worked for a couple of years in the Marine Paint Industry and for British Torpedo Marine Paints. I was a technical rep and supervised Shipbuilding, Drydockings and general Tank Coatings. We used Grit Blasting as our main metal cleaner, blasting to SA 2 and SA 3 standards. Depending on the job we then applied two coats of primer followed by the finish. Deck coating were different the Deck Coating was applied in two coats directly onto the bare metal, no primer. It normally contained a paint / sand base and stuck like glue. Very efficient for all non slip deck surfaces. For tanks we used Polyurethane Coatings which dried rock hard and with a plastic looking surface. Very easily cleaned and prepared for different liquids. The metal primers were nearly always zinc or chromate. The Anti Fouling was copper based and you had to be careful with it as it was quite poisonous, however we also had a Polyurethane version which was very new and which was a slow release paint ( dont ask me how it slow released it was a secret and they never told us minions ) It could be quite dangerous at times, I had a colleague killed in Falmouth in a tank explosion whilst the paint spraying was going on. With the Polyurethane paints you had two jets on the spray head one had the base coat and the other the activator and hardener mix. The two combined a short distance away from the spray head, mixed and adhered straight to the metal surface. There was also a third line which carried the thinners which were highly volatile and it would appear that these vaporised and caused the explosion. Very sad as he was an ex deck officer like myself with two children and had come ashore, again like me, as a result of falling ship numbers and lack of berths.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 10th December 2018 at 08:32 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For tanks we used Polyurethane Coatings which dried rock hard and with a plastic looking surface. Very easily cleaned and prepared for different liquids

That's exactly what they used after we had done the Sandblasting of the Large Oil Tanks Chris!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son knew this chap who owned Brunel Paints from Bristol,15 year guarantee for anti fouling and environment friendly.My son ran his stand one year at the boat show.

Regards.
    Jim.B.

Our Product - Brunel Marine Coating Systems
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Southey Holdings

Southey Holdings ยป HISTORY

This is the Company I worked for many Years back now,then known just as R J Southeys ,I see now how they have grown and are doing so well. Nice to be able to follow and old Company.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That goes back to my boating days Jim, when the use of tributyletin (spelling?) anti foul when it was banned, lots of changes since then. I think that some of the anti foul for small boats even had copper filings mixed in the antifoul. No wonder it ws the price it was, kt
    R689823

8. Likes Jim Brady, Doc Vernon, N/A, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11..funny you should say that Chris. For my first two and a half years at sea and going by the ship I was on it didn’t even strike me that decks actually got painted, the ship I was on certainly didn’t. All the main decks were bare steel. When the rust scale was too bad , sludge oil from the engine room bilges was mopped onto these decks to lift and long handled scrapers used , and all the scale over the wall the same as all the rubbish. After the deck dried out a coat of boiled oil used to be applied to the deck again by mops. The only thing appertIning to the deck that was painted maybe were the duckboards on the wings of the bridge, and if had the wrong mate it was the apprentices job to keep these clean and scrubbed. With the
    advent of the electric chipping hammer the only difference was the decks were chipped instead of using the sludge oil. The last year and a half of serving my time I was sent to a much more modern and later building with steel painted decks and wood sheathed boat decks. It was like coming out of a doss house and taking up residence in the Savoy. When Cappy described putting his chipping hammer through the plating of the first ship mentioned, he wasn’t joking. I wonder how many other faults were kept from the Chinese when they bought her. Second hand tonnage being sold there is no such thing as honesty among thieves , it’s like Polly talk , with a bit of second hand car salesmanship thrown in. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th December 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for coated bitumastic fresh water tanks , these were a rarity. Old habits died hard with the British shipowner, what was. Wrong with a bag of cement that fell more than likely off the back of a lorry?. Cement wash was considered quiet adequate until health and safety reared its head. Used to be his believe that the adage of, we used to have wooden ships and iron men, now we have iron ships and wooden men , was correct to his way of thinking.
    There are many seamen on this site and nearly all have had different experiences , you can’t compare a passenger liner with a dirty old coaster with a smoke caked smokestack. A lot of changes in shipping has been to the good, the bad changes you will probably find have been made by some office wallah who wouldn’t know one end of a ship from the other. As in a post yesterday about the Dreadnought, and the titles of one page of some stories of 1991,even then they were against the demanning of vessels to the extreme , that little office wallah though got his own way. You can’t kick against the pricks was another adage of day’s gone by, and is still alive and well today. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2018 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best way to get rid of rust as I saw it was a sandstorm in the Suez canal, we were anchored in Port Said when this Yank Victory ship came through and all her Port side from truck to waterline was polished steel, wish we had been going through; would have saved many a piece of grit in the eyes from the bloody chipping hammers.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On most cruise ships painting still goes on in many parts of the ship on a daily basis.
    Clear varnish on the wooden hand rails is for ever being renewed, salt water doe sit no favors.

But some of the marine paints now on the ships hull see it use far less fuel as the paint allows less drag from the water.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes cappy, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Best way to get rid of rust as I saw it was a sandstorm in the Suez canal, we were anchored in Port Said when this Yank Victory ship came through and all her Port side from truck to waterline was polished steel, wish we had been going through; would have saved many a piece of grit in the eyes from the bloody chipping hammers.
    Cheers Des
    ###in the early 60s a greek cargo went aground in shields the crew brought of by breeches buoy in horrendous weather and winds of storm force gusting plus the coast guard vehicle weather side to was blasted by sand ....in the light of day the side of the vehicle was polished by sand and rain to almost a mirror ....i was home from the sea and couldnt believe that site.....the ship was an old greek ...the adelphotis 11......her engines broke down as she tried to enter the tyne in almost hurricane conditions that night ....all hands saved cappy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast