Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Drinking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Drinking

Hi John.
    He must have got the job as our postman; as he wobbles a lot on his motorbike, even more than those twits who the London coppers are knocking off.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t think the posties have motor bikes in the UK Des, most have toeless sandals it depends on which part of the world they originated from. Think the pony express had a better record than British Mail. It may have gone out to private enterprise by now. The pony express had to fight off Indians today they deliver it sometimes when they get round to it. JWS

Lewis McColl Guest

Private enterprise, postie is to busy delivering junk mail.

4. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel sorry for my actual postie, he is brilliant, instead of dropping the normal note through the door, to collect from the depot, a 2 mile journey, he puts it in a safe place, and then walks back to the front door, and the note tells me where it is. My wife orders coffee beans on the internet, several kilo bags, and the poor old foot postie has to lug that around until he reaches my house, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s him Keith ! The one I am talking about he made it then. Do you give him a tot when he gets to your front door. We used to call him Hydraulic George. Both for his expertise with the hydraulics and also his affinity with the 4 bells bottle. Best regards to yourself and to him . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th November 2018 at 04:27 AM.

7. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was at one time a head waiter on the Pretoria, raging alki from what we knew.
    Carried a half bottle of gin in his pocket and would drink it all during first service, then get another one for second sitting.
    Had they cremated him he would have burned for days.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Keith if you were ever with shell then that is the company that gave the crew a weekly tot of rum. It was supposed to be a courteous gesture from Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, or so rumour had it. If my memory serves me well it was also issued when crossing the equator and to catering crew after cleaning the freezers. On one ship we did several runs from and to Balikpapan in Borneo to Pulau Bukom and seemed to be crossing the equator at least once sometimes twice a week. Hic!!
    John as you and Jim Brady call it I only ever got a weekly ration of a noggin of rum aboard a shell tanker if I remember correctly it was always handed out on a Sunday morning for the reasons you state, Terry
    {terry scouse}

10. Likes Jim Brady, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember at sea we where allowed 4 cans of Tenants daily but the steward never opened the bond until early evening that was before general cargo ships started putting bars aboard that was give away to a problem drinker he would volunteer to hold the bar keys. But while actually at sea and keeping sea watches I never indulged at all, Everyone relied on each other all in the same boat as we say. Bit different once you where tied up somewhere for a week or so but then your sub only lasted so long. Then we all had a drink problem { WE COULDNT AFFORD THE BLOODY STUFF }
    {terry scouse}

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4