Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greenpeace activists board tanker underway

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Greenpeace activists board tanker underway

This was on the internet today when Greenpeace boarded a shoot tanker off the Spanish coast, protesting about deforestation and palm oil production. I know the captain of the ship and the safety briefing he gave them I can just imagine him going trolley dolly style and pointing "the safety edits are here,here and there and your lifejacket is over your bunk".
    https://worldmaritimenews.com/archiv...tolt-tenacity/
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Greenpeace activists board tanker underway

Saw that and wondered if they are the same ones involved in a few other scirmishis with shipping.
    Lot of them down in the southern ocean when the Japs are whaling.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not like deforestation or whaling , but really hate what I see as piracy
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Terry Sullivan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I do not like deforestation or whaling , but really hate what I see as piracy
    The most annoying part of the Japanese whaling is that the younger generation do not eat it.
    According to figures I have seen the freezers are full of it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes William J Plank, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whalemeat , according to my mother tastes revolting , even as a WWII delicacy
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose Rob you could say you thought they were terrorists, shoot them and get away with it. They are terrorists when they purposely try and ram other ships. Yet the law sits back and does nothing. It was in the statute books I beleive as still a hanging offence for piracy, although probably been spotted by now and been expunged. If anyone tried to ram me I would put a harpoon through their wheelhouse window explosive charge and all. These Greenpeace ships enter and leave port with it seems immunity, about time their manning certs. Were examined. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd November 2018 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I've said before I am in favour of stopping whale hunting on the grounds that going on the anecdotal evidence of my parents who had it available in war time it is the most waste of time Revolting stuff you can imagine eating and I believe that it's only the older Japanese people that regarded as a tradition . Probably a little bit like the tripe Eaters of the North and those in London who slap a fishy flavoured white sauce on a steak pie .

The only time I've come across this kind of hostility was in a tanker on the Anchorage outside of Nigerian oil Port where the local boats were coming alongside with theft of crew possessions in mind and the old man instructed devotion to give their boat to wash down I think we had nearly 200 PSI on the fireman and it was a long swim back to Port Harcourt those aluminium boats don't float very well when they're full of water . I think Greenpeace are often poorly informed and are on some kind of crusade that they don't fully understand but I think the actual lunatics are I believe called sea Shepherd and they run small boats underneath the bows of a factory ship .

We had a discussion on here on another thread about the French having another blockade it seems to be an annual event over there I think they put it somewhere before Christmas over fuel prices well way back in 1980 something they decided to block out Cherbourg Harbour now I'm not saying that there was any motive but I think the old man was on a promise because we pulled off the ramp , and there was about 4 trawlers blocking Cherbourg Harbour mouth all of the sudden the turbo blowers screamed the revs when silly and we will full head pitch the Stern sat down in the water and the ship goes into an ocean greyhound I didn't see it because the control room did not have a periscope but apparently those who did all those engines started on the trawlers and they got out of Way very very quickly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn’t have to be war time to eat whale meat. Was avalable well into the 50s to my knowledge. Is in the dietry consumptions of variously different peoples the eskimos who aren’t called eskimos anymore as someone thought it was discrimitory. Ask one if he likes whale meat, I don’t like potted meat as was fed that through the war years and hate the stuff even the sight of it makes me feel sick. Love bananas though and didn’t see my first one until 1947. The EU tried to stop that by saying they had to be straight. We live in a world of different likes and dislikes and yet some say we should all be one big happy family. Remember the flower people saying the same as they puffed away on their marijuana , think they are still there just wearing different shirts. Cheers JS
    PS Doesn’t matter if people aren’t straight , but bananas have to be. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd November 2018 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as myself John, war time, hate potted meat, egg powder was another, my mother was so pleased when the first bananas came in during the war, very expensive, but she bought just one for me (before i had a brother), and i took one bite and spat it out, and would not eat it. Love them now though, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to like the egg powder, if was in shops today would probably try again. Used to hate tripe probably because working for a butcher had to go to the slaughter house tp pick up, and other animals being slaughtered put me off. I have more compassion for a dog being put down or as least as much as a human, as the dog puts its whole trust in you right up to the last second. A human knows the score. We all eat different meats and all depends on ones culture. Even used to eat each other at one time I suppose. Sacrifices of both humans and animals goes back to most religions. The French even eat frogs. Cheers JS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast