Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Armistice

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: The Armistice

As the hundredth anniversary of the First World War Armistice draws to a close the work of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission will begin again tomorrow, and in perpetuity, as we continue to honour the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

2. Thanks William Scouller thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Last edited by Chris Allman; 12th November 2018 at 09:34 AM.

4. Thanks Richard Quartermaine, William Scouller thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, my father never claimed his medals he said he could not feed his family with medals and ribbons, This year is the first time I have been unable to go to the cenotaph in over 20 years, at least last year I got there and was able lay my wreath even though I was unable to go on parade with my standard. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 Hi Den, know what you mean. When I went to the palace in 1991 with other mainly Scottish seamen to receive various gongs, you were told what was acceptable dress. Rather than go in morning dress and feel like a right twerp I chose to go in MN uniform, which I invested in as the 3 previous ones I Had had , had been discarded many years before as had shrunk and were mostly covered in paint and other unsavourily looking objects. The Scots were alright they just put on a skirt with a brass bound tunic and stuck a dirk down their stocking top. The military people there getting various awards who were in uniform however appeared flaunting various ribbons probably for various theatres of unrest they had been in. None were old enough to have been in the two great wars. However getting back to medals , on written iinstructions on how to present yourself to the Queen , no previous medals were to be worn. I suppose this was to enable her to pin the newest one on without mishap, which
    Incidentally is not pinned on but is hooked on to a small device pinned to your lapel before being presented. Every military person being presented to, by my line of sight were wearing previous decorations. So whether they ignored the instructions or just couldn’t read. Don’t know. Or maybe when just a ribbon aren’t called medals
    I call them ribbons, so maybe the instructions were not correct. We will soon be as bad as other country’s where their bigwigs are loaded down with medals and never seen a shot fired in anger. Campaign ribbons to me are worn to show others where you have been and this is how I look at them. To the general public they wouldn’t know one medal from another. I have 3 for long service , which another Australian seaman would maybe know they denoted 45 years of undetected crime. I too wear on Anzac Day meetings and then put away for another year. As I am hoping to go into an Australian military retirement village in the not too distant future subject to certain financial arrangements, which are open to the general public but have a great number of ex military personnel , I will have to see the reaction when I appear at their social functions sporting a red Ensign merchant navy badge which I will be quick and to point out before any bad language starts has written on it veteran of her majesty’s armed forces. So will change my name to Daniel as I enter the Lions Den, the reference to Den is not to you Den. Cheers and hope you make next year’s parade
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th November 2018 at 11:21 AM.

7. Thanks Denis O'Shea thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WW1 from 1914 to 1918, the war to end all wars?

Then a rest of some 21 years, just smoko until part two began in 1939.

But of more significance is that since 1945 more people have died in wars of various sorts than all the servicemen of both wars.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

70 odd years, not so surprising ?
    K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad was born in London one hundred and twenty two years ago next Sunday. In 1969 he passed away from a heart attack trying to catch his breath from a pair of lungs damaged by mustard gas. Here he is in London with his dad recuperating from a bullet through the chest near Amiens, in the Somme district in France. He left the British Merchant Navy to join The Queen's Royal 9th Lancers and had, I believe, the 1914-1918 Star Medal.

I hope you do not mind me writing this here, but as he and my mother never returned 'home', as they always referred to Britain, after sailing here to Australia from Tilbury in 1924, I would like to think that by sending this post it will thus be opened and they will, in spirit, have made the journey. Thank you all.
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###richard that is indeed a heartwarming thought.....i can only reply by saying your parents would have been most warmly welcomed had they returned to HOME as they called it .....we have a strong feeling for our ozzie and kiwi brothers .......wondered how you were keeping ..not seen many posts from you lately ....welcome back aboard cobber...best wishes cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###richard that is indeed a heartwarming thought.....i can only reply by saying your parents would have been most warmly welcomed had they returned to HOME as they called it .....we have a strong feeling for our ozzie and kiwi brothers .......wondered how you were keeping ..not seen many posts from you lately ....welcome back aboard cobber...best wishes cappy
    Cappy, as an ex apt and now an honorable "aussie' I thank you for the comment.
    But beware of our Kiwi cousins, they have so many good looking sheep. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Cappy, as an ex apt and now an honorable "aussie' I thank you for the comment.
    But beware of our Kiwi cousins, they have so many good looking sheep. LOL
    ###yer they cant play rugby iether ....lol ....i will now be off site for a while

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast