Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lime juice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default lime juice

This may have been discussed before, but the issue of lime juice on board, i know that is was supposed to be a requirement to be issued, and i do recall the gallon jars of the stuff in the messroom, unsweetened of course. My question is, did all ships carry this juice ?, and when was it deemed to be issued ?, only remember it being issued on trampers that i was on, and wonder if it is still issued today, or like most things of our day, long gone. Was superb when i was peggy to clean the brass !!, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: lime juice

Whether its still available today I wouldn't know mate, I think it was available on all my ships only thing was I thought it was bloody awful its like the salt tablets I wonder do todays crew have to swallow one of them in front of the Steward every day in the tropics. Regarding the Lime juice I remember the galley boy scrubbing work tops and duck boards in the galley with the stuff. That was it for me never again Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 67 when I first went to sea, on my first two ships, there was B.O.T. lime juice in the messroom and I actually liked the stuff. As for those salt tablets we used to swallow them like smarties in the tropics or when doing engine room work. Nowadays they tell us excess salt in your diet is bad for you.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's right Ted when I was galley boy gave the butchers blocks a wipe over with it after they had been scrubbed then put them on the hatch in the sun they really went white.It was a BOT requirement I used to make a big dixie of it and put it in the jugs in the saloon it went down a treat.The idea was to melt the sugar in boiling water first,top up with cold water and put in the fridge.Mind you you most probably couldn't get the sugar down aft to put in it.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never had it on all the ships i was on, at least it wasn't issued, i just wonder who decided to issue it. As i recall it was mostly in the tropics when we got it. What brought the memory back, was i was talking to a guy aged about 55, and he was talking crosswords, and was stuck on the question of why we are known as limeys, when i told him the story of scurvy and lime juice, and how it was still issued when i was at sea , he was astounded. I would have thought that it was taught in school in history about scurvy, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I never had it on all the ships i was on, at least it wasn't issued, i just wonder who decided to issue it. As i recall it was mostly in the tropics when we got it. What brought the memory back, was i was talking to a guy aged about 55, and he was talking crosswords, and was stuck on the question of why we are known as limeys, when i told him the story of scurvy and lime juice, and how it was still issued when i was at sea , he was astounded. I would have thought that it was taught in school in history about scurvy, kt
    ##liked the lime juice keith it was to hand on most vessels....it was a great drink if chilled well i always thought.... never liked salt tablets though...worst of all was the blue unction ...when mobile dandruff was aboard ........just come back from shields today it was bloody freezing ....nice white horses showing but saw no shipping in the offing at all regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the history of lime juice goes back to the Merchant Shipping Act of 1867, was brought in for the prevention of scurvy. Lauchlan Rose patented a method of preserving the lime juice without alcohol, making it just sweet enough to be tolerable. It was added to the daily "Jolly Jack Tars" tot of rum, (why didn't we get that)? hence "Limey" was born. Salt tablets I used to eat like smarties when in the tropics. Would wash them down with loads of cold water, often wonderd about the communual water jug we passed around down the "pokey", as very often it had all sorts floating on the surface (including snot and bogeys), but we all used to drink from it'. When my wife first started coming to sea with me she soon put me right about salt tablets / kidney damage etc. as she was a qualified nurse. I reduced them some what but then I use to get the shakes lol.
    Last edited by Ken Norton; 9th November 2018 at 05:31 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to get cramp if salt level in bloodstream fell ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have had cramp that bad in my hands and arms that others have had to get my hands off the spanners with low salt level, sweat profusely even in the winter. Looked like someone had hosed me down within two minutes of going down the pokey in the tropics but also get the shakes.

11. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have always loved the Lime Juice and Fresh Limes as well.
    We got it on the UCL Ships and needed it through the Tropics i can tell you as you know the Perspiration just flows when running around in those tight Catering Monkey Suits LOL

The one i really like and still drink Today is of course the better sort "Roses" Lime juice,its a very refreshing drink .

In my early days though used in in my Vodka . (Vodka Lime and Lemonade! Als vert tasty,but too many were potent!
    As said Lime is good for cramps as well.
    Cheers and thanks for the memories!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th November 2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast