Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtime at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Overtime at sea

Exactly Les you went for the lifestyle. In the 50s and 60s there were still many of the old handsfrom the war years at sea who were grown ups compared to the likes of us, they needed a rise to support families as well. The NMB book quoted among other things that the shipowner was only required by law to allows 50 percent of your basic wage as an allotment. Some of the tramp companys enforced this as well. 50 per cent of 32 pounds a month is 16 pounds, not much even in 1960 to bring up a family. Overtime in most cases was a sop to appease people on long passages. It was also a very expensive sop to the shipowner. The shipowners crewing bill today is the cheapest it’s ever been even allowing for inflation. Now his next target is crewless ships. Which no doubt will earn the title of clueless ships. What would have been spent on ships crews on board willbe spent on so called crews ashore which will be much more expensive to start with, but they hope will be much cheaper sometime in the. Future. Flash Gordon is coming to live in your street. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th November 2018 at 03:25 AM.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In catering the only time I ever got overtime was as officers steward on the Windsor.
    4 hours a day when at sea even though we often did not do any.

The reason was that the Chief officer ,Charnley, said we had to be on call at all times should the officers require anything.

But here in Oz we have some of the most expensive and ridiculous penalty rates.

Time and a half for Saturday, double time Sunday and double time and a half for public holidays.
    No other country uses such rates, France I have heard pay a 20% loading on public holidays but that is all.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 5th November 2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    In catering the only time I ever got overtime was as officers steward on the Windsor.

John every company I sailed with the catering crowd were always guaranteed at least three hours a day,the job could not be done in eight hours the way in which it was spread over the day.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the type of ships i was on, mainly trampers, the catering crowd always seemed to get the short end of the stick in port at weekends, we deck crew were, by and large, finished 12 o'clock Saturday until Monday morning. Always wondered if you had a skeleton system, cooks always seemed to be there, just a thought, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    On the type of ships i was on, mainly trampers, the catering crowd always seemed to get the short end of the stick in port at weekends, we deck crew were, by and large, finished 12 o'clock Saturday until Monday morning. Always wondered if you had a skeleton system, cooks always seemed to be there, just a thought, kt
    ##well keith we usually had a system were we covered for each other and i cannot recall being short of time .....plenty of time for a short time only money disappeared very quick ....or sometimes just walked ashore and payed the price in loggings but never was the days pay ever taken at the trips end .....in fact looking back if i was pissed off i just pissed off lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    John every company I sailed with the catering crowd were always guaranteed at least three hours a day,the job could not be done in eight hours the way in which it was spread over the day.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    ##must have been lucky there jim never ever got standing overtime ...usally turn to at 7....finish by 1 plus a bit......then 3 till 6 plus a bit .... seven days a week.apart from on a coal burning galley for a short while......which was turn to at 6 to bring the coal up for the galley bunker ....only good ovies on ore carriers...in fact looking back i guess as a galley boy i was doing between nine and ten hours a day times 7 days ...ie 70 hours a week for 11 pounds per month...ie 280 hours per month for 9and a half pence ...old money per hour.....dont know what that is in new pence ....but did get sundays at sea and three square a day ...plus leftovers .........if any ...... but saw the world worth thousands and wouldnt change it....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything appertaining to overtime or loss of sleep etc. could be found in that years NMB book ( National Maritime year Book) anyone who has the book for that pertaining year can quote all the entitlements, rates of pay,etc. Think Brian ( Kong) said one time he had copies in his garage. The NMB board was supposed to be composed of representives of the N.U.S. The shipowner and I think government reps. Was published yearly. And was the bible on trampships. Every good sea lawyer knew it by heart. Cheers JS
    For example don’t know what year, but couldn’t call a man out outside of working hours without paying him a minimum of 2 hours. Had to have a consecutive 8 hours off in every 24 if not, received loss of sleep plus the minimum 2 hours so if you had someone up to drop the anchor for 30 minutes at midnight he would be entitled to a minimum of 4 hours overtime. It was a system where you had to rely on people’s conception of the running of a ship. Today there is no such payments . It is a minimum 12 hours day. And to mention loss of sleep payments , people wouldn’t know what you were talking about. It is a recognised and basic 84 hours a week today , and more if necessary, and necessary is the word which is always there. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th November 2018 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy when you were galley boy you had your 8 hours in by 3 O'clock in the afternoon that's when you called the cook and 2nd cook with a cup of tea.Turned to at 5pm you would be there for at least 2 hrs doing the pans,work tops,topping up the stove and doing the scrub down.I know we always go 3 a day,did we turn to a 6am at one time ??

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Cappy when you were galley boy you had your 8 hours in by 3 O'clock in the afternoon that's when you called the cook and 2nd cook with a cup of tea.Turned to at 5pm you would be there for at least 2 hrs doing the pans,work tops,topping up the stove and doing the scrub down.I know we always go 3 a day,did we turn to a 6am at one time ??

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    #####wll jim old memories keep telling me after the lunches to the pantries ie 7 bells then food for down aft by twelve ...it was cleaning up out the galley by oneish then back at three preparing veg and puddings for 5 and then strapping up at about six after washing galley down.......as for breakfast in the galleycalled at six thirty.... at seven bacon and burgoo on then large skillet with perhaps twenty or so eggs at a time ..but it was some 60 odd years ago so timing may be out .....as for the pantry that was turn to at 7 out by one plus a bit ...back at 3 till six plus a bit.....hottest job ever coal burming galley laid off karg island about three weeks in july august ......sadly one old time scouse fireman with long johns a sweat rag died of heat exhaustion happy days well not all of them...regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember as peggy when i first went to sea, and was told i was in fact working catering hours by one of the stewards, ie a break in the afternoon, and approaching the bosun on this, who had a think on this and as far as i can remember i did get that sort of overtime. As peggy, i was always called early to get the tea and rouse the crew to turn to, and after meal at night was the same, strap up the dishes, scrub down the tables etc. Must confess i hated the job of peggy, had no use at all for my nice new shiny knife and spike lol, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast