Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Another cruise ship mishap

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another cruise ship mishap

I don't know how true the story was but I was told that there was a silver plate tray that fitted comfortably between the shoulder blades and when ashore paid for a good few beers abroad I don't ever remember seeing silver-plated Square trays with UCL they might have all been sold off by the time I got there
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has been reported that the Carnival Sunshine had a failure with a stabiliser at the weekend.
    Frightened passengers reported that the ship heeled over so far that items were falling from shelves and that they could not stand upright.
    Carnival have stated that the ship had a problem with one of the stabiliser fins.
    Some passengers have refused to continue the cruise and are being flown home.
    Sounds like the fin has got locked in one position.
    Vic[/QUOTE]

So like being on a real ship!! On my first trip in 1973 aboard the Oronsay, on passage from Los Angeles to San Francisco, a passenger was severely scalded while taking a 'salt water' bath, a steam pipe through the bathroom ruptured and filled the space with steam and some very hot water. Normally the water in the pipe would have only be 'hot' but as the galley had just finished washing down after dinner, it was scalding hot. A rendezvous with a helicopter was arranged and the Captain (might have been Fred Wolley or probably Dennis Scott-Masson of Canberra Falklands fame) ordered the ship to full speed and also ordered the stabilizers drawn in (to maximise speed). Sadly the passenger died before the rendezvous but I remember the shock on the passengers faces as we rolled our way north - engineers were very happy though as Oronsay managed to make well over 20 knots and more than her trials speed 22 years earlier. When the incident occurred, I was coming off watch in the Radio Room (remember those???) so must have been on the 4-8, on reaching the passenger deck I saw the Doc coming backwards out of an alley through billowing steam dragging the passenger with him. I went back to the radio room to warn the 3rd R/O that he was in for a busy night.....then to my bunk (the previous night having been very late drinking with engineers) by morning it was all over. I think the passenger was buried at sea (at his wife's request) but I must have been on watch as I don't remember it.

Pete Laurie

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fin stabilisers do slow you down / increase fuel consumption but as far as I'm concerned flume tank systems are a waste of space
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was the Glenmoor John I did two trips on her as 3rd mate in 1959. A good ship for overtime checking all those car lashings. Regards Trevor Hughes.☺

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Non of the Tankers I sailed on had stabilisers, I remember watching water pouring out of the midshipman’s sinks and standing with one foot on the deck and the other on a bulkhead on more than one occasion. Large oil tankers would act like submarines in heavy weather which added to the excitement but after a storm they would roll for days until the cargo settled.Happy Days.

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewis View Post
    Non of the Tankers I sailed on had stabilisers, I remember watching water pouring out of the midshipman’s sinks and standing with one foot on the deck and the other on a bulkhead on more than one occasion. Large oil tankers would act like submarines in heavy weather which added to the excitement but after a storm they would roll for days until the cargo settled.Happy Days.
    ##midshipmen is an interesting term .......i sailed with firstly......brassies then apprentices ....then it changed to cadets ....i believe blue flu had middies ...but who else ..dont think i know of any others with middies which tanker company was it ...it is an interesting scenario ...regards cappy

11. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    .... Think he said his main job was putting and sorting passenger deck chairs out. Thought they may have had a special rating for that Deck Chair Attendant. Cheers JS
    There was an AB on the Windsor whose sole job was to put out the ping pong tables in the morning and fold them up up at the end of the day. Additional duties may have been collecting stray ping pong balls. Needless to say he had been doing the job for some years, I remember his name was Jan and he lived in Plymouth. One or two here may remember him?

13. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###it was said charlie a fireman from shields on daywork on one of the queens ...his job to stand by on the deck and report black smoke to the engine room ......he definetely shovelled coal through a barrel to get his firemans.discharge book......it was not a rumour ...ah when men were men....lol cappy

15. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Smith View Post
    There was an AB on the Windsor whose sole job was to put out the ping pong tables in the morning and fold them up up at the end of the day. Additional duties may have been collecting stray ping pong balls. Needless to say he had been doing the job for some years, I remember his name was Jan and he lived in Plymouth. One or two here may remember him?
    I recall seeing them but never knew who put them out.
    Now I do, and know now what he did with his balls.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6