Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chinese Seamen Vanish From Liverpool.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Chinese Seamen Vanish From Liverpool.

A fair bit discussed on this a few years ago.

Keith.

Site Link: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/m...84=#post126782

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis McColl. The chinese crew I sailed with in Blue Flue (Alfred Holt & Co (Engine room and stewards) were excellent hard working men and on a few occasions I went ashore in Indonesia and other foreign places with the younger chinese firemen who could speak english well and knew the good places to visit. I would not say the Blue Flue engineers were lazy, but the chinese firemen were professional and did their job meticulously and so helped the engineers become more professional. I never smoked and regularly took and stored my ration of cigarettes and when we left Indonesia (where the crew sold soap, cigarettes, clothes and everything for rupees) When the crews smokes were all gone, smokers were in severe withdrawal with no cigs on issue. I gave my large carton to my fireman to share, He was so grateful, he invited me to the poop deck where the Chinese firemen cooked me a chinese banquet. Being an Aussie, one reason I joined UK Blue flue, was I just avoided the mandatory birthday ballot to go to Vietman, where some of my mates were later killed, and those who survived came back slightly damaged. Blue flue was a valuable education for me. I served / sailed with Blue flue from 1968 to 1971. I got my second steam engineers in Glasgow, and a scottish wife also. Went back to Australia for a further 4 years at sea and got my combined chief engineers (Steam and Diesel) in 1974. I retired ashore in 1976 as a consulting engineer in high rise buildings. It is hard to track down the crews and engineers I sailed in Blue flue on SS Jason, SS Patrocolus, SS Perseus, SS Talthibius and SS Ulysses. Clive Burrows R865333 UK Seamans Record Book issued 30 Sep 1968.

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am one of the children of the Chinese seamen. I organised the plaque at the Pier Head. Have also given interviews and have done a fair bit to get the story out there. Currently have a mini exhibition at the Confucius institute Edge Hill University. This is a smaller one of the Williamson Art Gallery that was on in Feb.

Thank you to all that passed comments regarding our fathers. There are a lot of us out there still searching. Anyone wanting further information on the story can go to my website which is Liverpool and it's Chinese Children

Again thanks for the positive comments.

Yvonne Foley

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thank you very much for your post Yvonne
    and for the link. Indeed of great interest.

Regards,

Keith.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne Foley View Post
    I am one of the children of the Chinese seamen. I organised the plaque at the Pier Head. Have also given interviews and have done a fair bit to get the story out there. Currently have a mini exhibition at the Confucius institute Edge Hill University. This is a smaller one of the Williamson Art Gallery that was on in Feb.

Thank you to all that passed comments regarding our fathers. There are a lot of us out there still searching. Anyone wanting further information on the story can go to my website which is Liverpool and it's Chinese Children

Again thanks for the positive comments.

Yvonne Foley

Having further read all thank you personally,
    more than just the thanks and likes feature
    on sit as it deserves so much more.

K.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Burrows View Post
    Lewis McColl. The chinese crew I sailed with in Blue Flue (Alfred Holt & Co (Engine room and stewards) were excellent hard working men and on a few occasions I went ashore in Indonesia and other foreign places with the younger chinese firemen who could speak english well and knew the good places to visit. I would not say the Blue Flue engineers were lazy, but the chinese firemen were professional and did their job meticulously and so helped the engineers become more professional. I never smoked and regularly took and stored my ration of cigarettes and when we left Indonesia (where the crew sold soap, cigarettes, clothes and everything for rupees) When the crews smokes were all gone, smokers were in severe withdrawal with no cigs on issue. I gave my large carton to my fireman to share, He was so grateful, he invited me to the poop deck where the Chinese firemen cooked me a chinese banquet. Being an Aussie, one reason I joined UK Blue flue, was I just avoided the mandatory birthday ballot to go to Vietman, where some of my mates were later killed, and those who survived came back slightly damaged. Blue flue was a valuable education for me. I served / sailed with Blue flue from 1968 to 1971. I got my second steam engineers in Glasgow, and a scottish wife also. Went back to Australia for a further 4 years at sea and got my combined chief engineers (Steam and Diesel) in 1974. I retired ashore in 1976 as a consulting engineer in high rise buildings. It is hard to track down the crews and engineers I sailed in Blue flue on SS Jason, SS Patrocolus, SS Perseus, SS Talthibius and SS Ulysses. Clive Burrows R865333 UK Seamans Record Book issued 30 Sep 1968.
    Checkout this link, Blue Funnel for old timers on face book, I did 4years with Ocean and sailed on a couple of Blue Flue ships. The Chinese engine room crew were great lads and as a young gun starting my sea going career they were a great help. But they only had one way of doing anything and they were reluctant to embrace change.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Yvonne that was an interesting post,keep up the good work. As a matter of interest would you know if Alfred Holt,Blue Funnel had an office in China town maybe on Berry Street,for some reason I think I saw a picture in the Liverpool Museum (Pier head) of Chinese seamen outside Holts office in China town.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

10. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2